12" foam NC

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Transition fresh off the lathe. Nose cone, transition, mold for transition.

Is the transition piece a boat tail at the aft end? Or is it a transition from one body tube diameter to another? What’s the overall design?

By the way, I ordered some hot wire foam tools from the Hotwire Foam Factory recently. When they get here, I have to hand them over to my wife so she can wrap them up and stick them under the tree.

Actually, I do not think that it would be considered either. She is a V 2. Boat tail would be behind fins. Transition goes from one tube to another, as you said. So I guess I will just call this the bottom part :)

Actually, I do not think that it would be considered either. She is a V 2. Boat tail would be behind fins. Transition goes from one tube to another, as you said. So I guess I will just call this the bottom part :)

Huge V2! That will be a cool project.

I will post some pictures of the tools when I get them. Then I will need to build the lathe, which I don’t have a huge amount of confidence I know how to do.

Huge V2! That will be a cool project.

I will post some pictures of the tools when I get them. Then I will need to build the lathe, which I don’t have a huge amount of confidence I know how to do.
@ThirstyBarbarian Just make sure that whatever you use for the shaft is rigid enough so it won't flex.

Here's a good, inexpensive source of bearings, pulleys, & motors.

https://www.surpluscenter.com/

Here is my foam rocket I made a couple of years ago. It is a lot smaller than your V2 will be, but I used a V2-inspired paint job on it. These big, contrasting, color-block patterns look really cool in flight, and they photograph well.

This rocket is sort of designed to look like an upscale Big Daddy. It’s 7” in diameter and about 4’ tall. So it is close In size to my Warlock, but my Warlock weighs almost 6 pounds, while this guy just weighs 4. Before I fiberglass’s and painted it, it was under 3 pounds, and I flew it at low power motors on G motors — big Class 1 rocket!

I’m really looking forward to seeing how yours turns out.

View attachment 441235

View attachment 441236

View attachment 441237

View attachment 441238

Nice. I've seen you post drawings of other rockets too. How long have you been collecting plans like this? And where do you get them?

Greg,

I started collecting data in 1974, at age 13 . . . Since the advent of the Internet, the process has become much easier and quicker. Many items I have come from trading data with others, often in foreign countries. Sometimes, it was purchased, outright, while other items were given to me.

Dave F.

Greg,

I started collecting data in 1974, at age 13 . . . Since the advent of the Internet, the process has become much easier and quicker. Many items I have come from trading data with others, often in foreign countries. Sometimes, it was purchased, outright, while other items were given to me.

Dave F.
@Ez2cDave A friend of mine wants to build a V2 mid power. So I copied your files & sent them to him. He emailed me back and he's as happy as a clam! Thanks! (Does anyone know when "happy as a clam" comes from?)

Very nice setup and finished results David.

I say we do a scale sounding rocket drag race this year at the high power launch. I will be able to use a punchy full L motor in the 1/4 scale Viking 7 vs your V2 with a M motor.

8" od vs 12" could be close.

~John

Back