Quantcast

12" foam NC

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

Reaction score
Still pretty new around here but just throwing some ideas out there. I was lucky enough to get some tooling foam which turns great and easy to work to make plugs, to make molds for fiberglass nosecones. Same could be done in wood just a little slower. Granted there is some extra time making the mold from the plug but I can now make at least 5-10 NC from the first mold.

In my mind if I’m going to take the time to design and turn the right nose, I might as well go the last mile and set myself up to make multiples.

Ive not done the math on how much extra material I used making the mold but it’s minimal considering I can replicate it so many times.

I say all this regarding larger parts. If I were doing a small NC it might be easier and quicker turning and reinforcing foam..

From my experience the hardest part is just waiting for things to cure. The cost on my molds are ~15 max. And the upside is I get a near perfect finish on the outside even without the a bladder/bagging process.

Would love to hear pros and cons of both methods. Certainly there are things I haven’t considered.

David Schwantz

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
Sebastian, I have never used a bladder, so cannot comment on that. I do know that I read a thread about using a bladder. A search might find it.
I can tell you though, making a mold for this size NC will take a lot of extra material. Glass cloth, resin, mold release, alignment pins, gel coat.

Ez2cDave

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
Is that Russian I'm looking at? I thought the HoJo was one of ours. ;)
Yes, that is Russian . . . Translations are in the PDF file.

The rest of the drawings reflect the "Small Fin" M50 Honest John.

The Russians, for some reason, seem to always have the best drawings.

Dave F.

Ez2cDave

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
Interesting that the Russians had the technical data on it.
They have data on a LOT of things . . . MIM-14B NIKE-HERCULES, for example !

Dave F.

Attachments

David Schwantz

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
Damn it Dave F, now I want to build one of them :)
But I am doing a X 15, body tube will be here on Wednesday. Got any info for that? Thanks.

Scottydog1

Boom!
Reaction score
Here's how I did the cone for my 12" x 12' Fusion rocket..... pink foam disks stacked on a wooden dowel with plywood base plate.... lots of filling and sanding.

Ez2cDave

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
Damn it Dave F, now I want to build one of them :)
But I am doing a X 15, body tube will be here on Wednesday. Got any info for that? Thanks.
David,

I have MORE data . . . Muwahahaha ! ( LOL ! )

"Tip of the Iceberg", below . . .

Dave F.

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

Last edited:

David Schwantz

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
Scotty, do not face book. If you want to post a couple pics, I'd love to see them.

David Schwantz

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
Work on the V2 at the detail stage. Rivets, bolts, vents, panels.

Attachments

David Schwantz

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
I have also started a 11 inch foam rocket inspired by you.
The only thing I have to say is, your NC is WOW! thank you.

Hi Tim, the post you quoted was when I tried using my drill press to turn the foam. Not work to well. Since I built the lathe in the thread in earlier posts. I did indeed run it as slow as I could, I used a belt sander at times. Worked very well.