12" foam NC

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

3stoogesrocketry

Reaction score
Put on the lathe slow and use a sander with the roughest grit you have to start.
I use an air file

I used a 48 inch length of 38mm blue tube as a core tube . A couple wooden pillow blocks and a hand crank . 50 grit sand paper on a 24 inch body block. I used a 7 year old as a power plant

Attachments

ThirstyBarbarian

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
I used a 48 inch length of 38mm blue tube as a core tube . A couple wooden pillow blocks and a hand crank . 50 grit sand paper on a 24 inch body block. I used a 7 year old as a power plant
What kinds of speed settings do you have on that 7 year old?

David Schwantz

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
You are so lucky to have a helper like her !!!!!!!!!!!

3stoogesrocketry

Reaction score
You are so lucky to have a helper like her !!!!!!!!!!!
She is the best thing that has ever happened to me. Here she is with the main rocket assembled . The fins and transition will be on the yellow 8 inch tube. The rocket is 11 inches transitioning up to 12.875 inches and 80 inches tall.
20210220_155442.jpg

ThirstyBarbarian

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
It’s good to build a rocket that’s twice as big as you are.

David Schwantz

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
Hi 3, I like your rocket. Looks like she is coming together great. Please keep the pics coming. Dave.

ThirstyBarbarian

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
That Aries is a cool fat rocket! That’s a perfect rocket for this technique. That’s exactly the kind of project I have in mind for the foam cutting tools I got and haven’t used yet.

I love the fact it has that extra wide transition at the base. So much base drag. That should fly nice and slow on a long-burn motor with enough thrust to get it off the pad fast and stable, and then a sustain part of the thrust curve to keep it going against the drag. I don’t know if that’s what you are planning, but that’s why I like the lightweight foam rockets.

How are you going to set up the launch guide with the base transition?

BrendanH69

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
David,

I have MORE data . . . Muwahahaha ! ( LOL ! )

"Tip of the Iceberg", below . . .

Dave F.
Wow Dave! Love the drawings! Love a good V2 as well.
Don't suppose you have anything on a more recent one... Thales Starstreak? I'm collaborating with Drew on another build thread for it. Have had to go off photos for it and a few sketchy internet dimensions.

Ez2cDave

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
Wow Dave! Love the drawings! Love a good V2 as well.
Don't suppose you have anything on a more recent one... Thales Starstreak? I'm collaborating with Drew on another build thread for it. Have had to go off photos for it and a few sketchy internet dimensions.
I already posted up some pics in the Thales Starstreak thread. Dimensioned data is almost nonexistent for it.

Dave F.

David Schwantz

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
Paint all done. All that is left are the final touches from Mark at Stick Shock and final assembly. Doesn't look as big outside.

Attachments

Sandy H.

Reaction score
Your pics in post 199 are awesome. While it is very cool to see it outside, the detail shots are what really show the efforts you've put into it. If your prep is half as good as your build, it will fly prefect every time!!!

Awesome!

Sandy.

Latest posts