What I did today -instead- of Rocketry.

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Finished digging up grass and turning dirt for some tomatoes and such. I thought I was in better shape! I may dig down a bit under that water line and drop it a few inches while I'm in there.

IMG_1083.JPG

Next it's pat out some hamburgers to cook a little later. Fried okra and creamed corn on the side (both frozen, not fresh), too, if the tribe can break from routine.

Baked.

Started off with biscuits for breakfast. After that, oatmeal-raisin cookies. Wasn't happy with how they turned out. The taste okay, but they're not as chewy as I'd like and they spread out way too much on the cookie sheet.

Next up was homemade yeast hamburger rolls. Half of them with "everything bagel" seasoning on top and half without. Those are for breakfast sandwiches this next week.

Then, klobásník, aka "Texas Kolache." Half with jalapeno and half without. (Donna doesn't like jalapenos.)

Finished off with @tsmith1315 's cheesecake recipe for the second time. Changed the graham cracker crust to an Oreo crust and swirled some chocolate syrup in the batter. I just turned off the oven and in a bit less than 4 hours, it goes in the fridge.

Lots happening over the weekend, but mainly working on the carport facade that was looking a bit tired. Prepared a new finial to mount on the gable, then painted it with three coats. Whilst I had the red paint out I also did the downpipes along our driveway, the brick vents, meter box and an aircon conduit cover. Looks much better now.

Tonight I should get the finial and some other trims mounted on the facade, and improve the structural robustness of the rafters in a couple of locations.

Also been tidying the workshop storage area. Have filled a 250l industrial bin with stuff that hasn't been used for years. Reorganised some other stuff and got some cupboards (including one full of rocket motors :) ) ready to move. Lifted the compressor down from its lofty location. I will need that outside when I do some paling fences in the coming weeks.

Took two hours off working around the house to watch the Melbourne F1 Grand Prix. Good race. Tickets were entirely sold out for all the days. Might end up going next year. I went to the first Adelaide GP back in '85.

Speaking of workshops, the new house workshop is coming along nicely. Plaster (drywall) and cornices (crown moldings) are done. That is 7.5 squares of space for the two cars, storage and workshop. Garage is drive-through for rear access also.
Garage2.jpg

Garage1.jpg

Since I am updating the current house for sale I am changing the front door lock to one of the new fancy electronic ones. It does regular key, keypad PIN, facial recognition, NFC and WiFi App access. Since the mechanical lock didn't match the rest of the locks in the house I grabbed my pin kit and re-pinned the cylinder locks to suit the rest of the house. A bit of locksmithing from time to time is fun.

This occupies the liminal space between rocketry and instead-of-rocketry, but my egg sandwich this morning was made from the egg used for TARC flights yesterday. Waste not, want not! It only went on a couple of flights, so it wasn't scrambled in the shell.

Hold it, is that an actual thing that happens?!
It's pretty common for the yolk to break after a few flights and landings, even if the landings/boosts aren't hard enough for the shell to crack.

Interesting day at work. One of our coating units had a problem with aluminium evaporation. One filament wasn't working. This is critical for our production.
CoatingUnit.jpg
Put a scope on the filament drives and only one of the two was working. Had to remove the drive unit, which had to be unwired before it could be removed. Sh!t design by whoever threw this together. Eventually got the controller out and the lid off. Luckily nothing charred (it normally drives 240V at about 20A). Fuses on the back were ok, so I unscrewed the lid from one of the SCR drivers (fun fact: back to back SCRs are more robust than triacs) as I could see a fuse inside.
Fuse.jpg
60A fuse was blown. Found a spare, reassembled, reassembled, reassembled, and powered it up. All good. Purchased some more spare fuses. Put a label on the outside of the drive unit box so somebody else will know in the future there are fuses inside.

Interestingly, these fuses can interrupt 160kA fault current without setting fire to anything :oops:.

Also have been looking at a 50 tonne press for sheetmetal in our prototyping shop. The main blade drive does not want to cooperate. I am suspecting a stuck hydraulic valve on that drive. The other five or six drives are all spot on.
Press.jpg

Just for some contrast I had to make up a cable for some EMC testing of a new product. It involved using the smallest allen key I have ever used. 0.88mm (35 thou for you imperialists).

Productive and fun day, but I didn't get any of my work done.

for the past week... i've been waiting for my 2 new rockets. both from LOC, a 3" Athena, and a 4" Zeus (i just love the looks of these AAMRAM's). And with a 54mm MMT, thinking this baby's gonna scream upward!..

i get'em both today... Lookin' like 2 build threads.. and for the Zeus i plan on a 'glass finish'. for now.. the Zeus will be parachute deployment, as i'm getting ready to DD the Zephyr (which has been repaired with fiberglass and epoxy in the crumpled area) with the Apogee DD kit, and an RRC mini.

[snip] Just for some contrast I had to make up a cable for some EMC testing of a new product. It involved using the smallest allen key I have ever used. 0.88mm (35 thou for you imperialists). [/snip]
Currently working with a 0.058" (1.5mm for you people who use measurements not associated with a persons heel-to-toe measurement) and I'm not a fan. Way too springy for the fastener torque. . .

Back