anybody use pinstripe tape?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bjphoenix

Reaction score
I bought some vinyl pinstripe tape on Amazon to use instead of having to tape and mask and spray for thin black lines. I put some on a rocket a couple of days ago and it looked great. I picked up the rocket to move it today and some of the strips of tape were coming off, they were hanging loose just from gravity. Now I'm not sure if pinstripe tape is a good idea or if I should be putting something on over it to keep it stuck down.

Also a question is what was the pinstripe tape stuck to?
Adhesion will be poor to flat finish paint because in order to not reflect like gloss paint does, the surface of flat paint is like microscopic sandpaper & tapes, decals too, only adhere to the high spots.

Second question is, was a stretching force applied to the tape while applying the tape? If so, the peeling could be a result of the tape pulling itself back to unstretched.

Depends on what you use. I use this stuff:
https://sigmfg.com/products/sig-superstripe-striping-tape

Here is my 20+ year old 1.6x upscale Mars Lander with Sig Tape...hasn't moved, still holding strong, no clear coat.

https://www.rocketryforum.com/threads/20yo-mars-lander-needs-a-dusting-and-some-new-rubber.183597/

You can clear coat over pinstriping, just like you can clear coat over decals. Here is my viper with clear coat over vinyl decals (the rocket logo in the circle with flames).

https://www.rocketryforum.com/threads/l2-design-and-build-4x-upscale-eac-viper.183182/post-2550827

You can get narrow masking tape at auto supply stores as pinstripe tape. McMaster.com also sells masking tape in narrow widths.
I use 1/4" for thrust rings on Estes motors to match reloads. 3/8" on 38 mm for matching reloads of this size.

Here is my 20+ year old 1.6x upscale Mars Lander with Sig Tape...hasn't moved, still holding strong, no clear coat.

Older stuff is good. I’m still using Pactra Trim Tape I bought in the 90’s.

Use a tack rag before striping. Burnish edges down well after striping.

Quality comes at a cost. Most of the budget pinstripe tapes are pretty naff.

I used some on my Johnny Star Commander rocket, worked alright.

I don't recommend using it on fin edges, even if the edges are not sanded. But on a glossy/slick body tube, no problem.

Attachments

• DSC02225.JPG
    DSC02225.JPG
    3.7 MB · Views: 0
When I built my 1.8x upscale Gyroc I used more than a bit of it. Still attached despite multiple revolutions about the long axis (admittedly I did clear coat over it)

Can't recall the brand but it was acquired from an auto parts store. Likely 3M...

Gyroc_1.jpgGyroc_2.jpg

I have used automotive pinstripe tape very successfully, it has been on some of my rockets for 5 years or more, in 1/4 inch through 1 inch widths. I got a couple rolls from an automotive supply place off of the internet. That's all this company does. Here is the place - https://pinstripesupply.com/. I applied this material to freshly painted rockets (dried for a week) that have gloss finishes. I used it on the airframe and the fins. Application did not involve stretching like what you would do to use electrical tape. I have not sealed it down with a clear coat, and it has all stayed in place. I even trimmed it down to very thin widths for use on MMX scale, and once again, no issues.

Second question is, was a stretching force applied to the tape while applying the tape? If so, the peeling could be a result of the tape pulling itself back to unstretched.
I put it on gloss paint.
I put on longitudinal strips that were not stretched at all. Those pieces came right off. I put on some circular pieces that did get stretched a little bit, mostly to keep the pieces straight. Those pieces have stayed on pretty well.

I used an old kit from my 1978 Z-28 on my Estes Partizan. Once the decals (or should I say stickers) were applied , I then sprayed on two coats of clear gloss enamel spray paint. This seals the decals in place. I do this with all of my decals and stickers.
Hope that's helpful.

Attachments

• Partizan 1.jpg
    Partizan 1.jpg
    50 KB · Views: 0
  • Partizan 2.jpg
    Partizan 2.jpg
    49.6 KB · Views: 0
Adhesion will be poor to flat finish paint because in order to not reflect like gloss paint does, the surface of flat paint is like microscopic sandpaper & tapes, decals too, only adhere to the high spots.
Not necessarily. If the adhesive on the tape has any thickness, it should stick to a dull surface better. Unless it's been sanded with 80 grit, maybe, or the surface is unfinished balsa.

This was my Trans-Am when I sold it in 1999. Bought new in 1981.View attachment 634219
Nice!
Bought my Z-28 new, had to order it as they had just come out and all of them had automatic transmissions. T-Tops were after market. They cut the roof off and replaced it with a T-Bar frame work. Never leaked or rattled. Probably not as fast as your Trabs-Am but driving that stick was a ball! Had it until the spring of 82 when a drunk in a pickup truck hit it while it was parked, Totaled it. I still gave the gear shift knob and the Z-28 emblem from the gas tank door. Every once in a while, I think of finding a 78 camaro and restoring it. The again I did that with a 66 Mustang convertible and think maybe not. Lotta work and lotta money.

IMG_1685.jpeg

I used a couple of layers of automotive trim tape as a turbulator on a model airplane wing. It's been hanging on there for decades. Is applied on top of plastic film, though.

Back