My Estes Starlights

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GusGrissom

Reaction score
Just finished these two. The toughest part was having patience gluing all the fins on and waiting for the glue to dry before proceeding with the next. There are 8 fins on each. The bigger fins are really top heavy. Came back to the project a couple of times to find the fin flopped over, after I thought it was secure and would dry in place ok. Finally just held them down with masking tape while they were drying. I also painted the rings before gluing them on so I didn't have to mask anything. I like the look of the Rustoleum Chrome Metallic spray paint I used instead of the recommended silver. I really like the retro-futuristic look of these rockets. Glad Estes brought them back again.

Attachments

• IMG_4982.jpg
    IMG_4982.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 0
Oh, the memories! More than 50 years ago, I flew mine for it's one and only flight. White body and fins, all brush painted with the little Testor's bottles (after all that butyrate sanding sealer on the fins) blue metal flake for the rings and nose cone, again, all brush painted. I was no more than 14 at the time.

Such careful attention to detail! And what a flight on that C motor, so much flame! It must be because of that larger diameter body tube!

Or... how about "I forgot to go back and glue the motor mount in place." The whole back end was on fire!

So thanks for tickling those memories! Those are two real beauties you have there! May they fly wonderfully!

But just for my sake.... go check your motor mounts... ;)

Back