3M 501+ high-temp tape

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SolarYellow

Basket of deployables.
TRF Supporter
Reaction score
I bought some 3M 501+ high-temp masking tape after prior discussion regarding its use for tape retention of LPR motors.

This is the second roll I got from Amazon. Crappy cell phone pic, but it shows the issue pretty well. I've never seen a 3M tape product like this. This is the second roll I bought. The first one was in December, and looked the same, except the ID of the cardboard roll was all peeled off. It looked water damaged, like a book or stack of paper that got wet. So that was returned. I waited awhile and bought another. This time, the ID of the cardboard roll is intact, but the tape itself is still all gorfed up. It almost looks like some third party is using a knife to slice off narrower rolls from a wider roll and reselling it as if it's straight from 3M.

Is this just how this product is, or is some frickenfrackery going on at Amazon again?

@bad_idea

3M 501+ tape.jpg

Sliced into thinner rolls, yes, but borked like you're seeing there, no. I've not seen it separated like that when I've bought it.

It almost looks like some third party is using a knife to slice off narrower rolls from a wider roll and reselling it as if it's straight from 3M.

Read more details on Amazon:

• 3M Preferred Converter: TapeCase is a 3M Preferred Converter; 3M has partnered with TapeCase to make their products available in a larger assortment of sizes, so that customers can use the tape in a variety of applications.

Well, there you go. Same language on the 1-inch stuff. So Amazon is not the place to buy this, apparently.

I went onto 3m's website and the tape they show is tan, not blue. The spec sheet does to give the thickness of the tape though. But if it like 3m's other tape, ie, 425. Then it is just over .005 thick. You pic looks much thicker than that. Are you SURE it is 3m?

I have seen a lot of tape that looks like that. It is just old tape. The warehouse needs to rotate their stock, and discard old product that looks like that.

Back