Wayco and Hardline's Northern exposure

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wayco

Desert Rat Rocketeer
TRF Supporter
Reaction score
I posted up some pic's in the "What I did today -instead- of rocketry" earlier today, but instead of loading up a bunch of pictures there, I thought I would start a new thread (read blog) here to fill those in that are interested in a desert rat's impression of a snow day in Red River, NM.
First, let me fill you in on the life and times of Wayco and Hardline.
We left Goodyear, AZ and drove to our property in Southern Colorado two days ago on Thursday. Google maps says it takes 10.5 hours, but our Toyota 4runner did it in 10. Sharon spelled me for a couple of hours on I-40, but I do most of the driving. We left Goodyear at 2 am and arrived at our place outside of Trinidad, Co. around noon. Met up with our contractor outside the gate to our acreage to go over the latest job, a designed septic system, with a two stage septic tank, a pump tank and leach field for the "Barndominium" we plan to build up there. After tromping around up there and discussing future projects, we drove the Toyota up to the top and had lunch on the "loop with a view". This was no mean feat for the Toyota, despite being full time 4 wheel drive, the street tires don't do well in the snow drifts up there.
Next leg of the trip was from our place in Co. (we call it Weathertop) to our place in Red River, NM. Another couple of hours and two mountain passes (Raton and Bobcat Pass) and we were home in time for dinner.
The secondary reason for this trip was to get some snow skiing in. A winter storm was predicted to hit Thursday night and continue through Saturday. Red River ski area had been struggling to keep the slopes white since last November, with a huge array of snow making equipment, and they had mostly succeeded. Friday morning we woke up to several inches of fresh powder and grabbed our ski's. Since the town is at 8750 ft. we only lasted to around noon. It was still snowing. This is where the "Northern exposure" adventure begins.
Like I said earlier, I posted up some pic's in this thread earlier today, but since we are basically "snow bound" here, why not share them again...

We woke up early this morning and looked out the window. Later research revealed that 14 inches of new snow had fallen Friday night to this morning. Sharon and I had planned another day of skiing, but looking at the conditions made us rethink this plan. Weather underground predicted at least another 3 to 5 inches, which would continue to snow throughout the day, with 15 to 30 mph winds... Remember, we left Goodyear two days ago, sunny and in the 70's. No way am I getting out in what I consider a blizzard.
I know, some of you get this stuff all winter long, you have my sympathy, but this desert rat doesn't want that kind of lifestyle. Sure, it's fun to play in, but watching golfers play through our back yard is fun too.
So I got up and went out in this stuff, knee deep in places, to move the Toyota out of the way for the Jeep. "Hyjak" is our 2005 Jeep Rubicon, and he spends his winters in the garage in Red River. Here are a few pic's I took this morning:

Toyota 1st shot.jpg

The Toyota was unhappy about moving around in this stuff, but I cleared a path for the Jeep:
Jeep in garage.jpg

Hyjak is on 37" tires, so he had no problem getting into town to pick up the green chili brisket breakfast burrito's we get at Shotgun Willy's in town. After a most excellent breakfast, I looked out the kitchen window:
kitchen window.jpg

Yeah, that's the woodpile I need to get to so I can feed this:
fireplace.jpg

Got some work to do, so out to the back door and open it up to this:
back door before.jpg

I'm sure some of you will be appalled when I admit that using a snow shovel can be fun, but after about 15 minutes, I had cleared this:

back patio before.jpg

Into a clear path to the firewood:
back patio after.jpg

After spending the day watching it snow, it was time for round two. Five hours later it was time to refill the wood box.
Back door round two:

2nd round door.jpg

The patio was loaded back up:
2nd round patio.jpg

Back at it with the snow shovel, which was still kinda fun:

2nd round stairs.jpg

Cleared it out to the wood pile again, and I'm starting to think about the golfers back in Goodyear.... :

2nd round door path.jpg

Since we plan to be here until Monday, you can expect another update in the near future.
I mean, what else do I have to do? If you enjoy my blog, be sure to post up, even if it's just a "thumbs up".

Or you could add your adventures in the Great White North.

It might encourage me to continue this blog....
Or maybe you really don't want that.
Come on, help me out here. I'm a desert rat lost in the snow.

Why did your Toyota not like it?
There is this sound it makes when I drive into a snow drift, kinda like a groan… Might be the sound of the street tires spinning, or the sound that snow makes when it packs up under the frame, I’m not sure. I don’t have a great deal of experience regarding this event….
Anyway, thanks for the reply.

What a life you two have! I’m quite content with the south where it doesn’t snow.
I’m starting to appreciate your attitude regarding this strange white stuff, but it’s still fun to play in.
Also, thanks for the reply, makes my day when I can post something of interest.

After living in Nebraska, Kansas, Colorado, England, Scotland, the Grand Canyon and Washington State, you can now understand why I live in San Diego. I don't miss shoveling snow, studded tires, storm windows, ice scrapers and chains, 15 layers of clothing or anything else that goes with surviving below 32f. But, having said that, enjoyed the posting of your travails, er, adventures. Give Sharon a hug for me. See ya on the playa soon.

Today we had rain in the valley and snow, a lot of snow in the mountains. Monday and Tuesday we have a 98% and a92% chance of rain in the valley. With a high around 50 in the valley the mountains are going to get more snow. That's a good thing. We have been having a drought here for many years. When we got here in '91 there was snow on Mt Charleston year round. Lake Mead was full to the top. We need the snow pack badly. Enjoy your winter wonderland.

We skied yesterday, it was awesome. Sunny and light fluffy snow. 29 inches over the weekend here. This morning it’s 5* and everything is frozen. Heading back to Goodyear before the next storm hits later this week.
The 4Runner does good until it gets deep. We had to dig it out yesterday, there was a 3 ft drift in front of it. The Jeep loves this stuff, with 37” tires, it goes through almost anything. Street tires on the Toyota, not so great.
I will post up more pictures when we get home to Goodyear, on a real computer…

Back