Life and times with Wayco & Hardline at Weathertop

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wayco

Desert Rat Rocketeer
TRF Supporter
Reaction score
Those of you that follow us on TRF already know that we are spending the summer in Northern New Mexico in a little town called Red River.
We try to attend some of the launches nearby, like NSL in Alamosa, Co., NCR up in the Pawnee National grasslands and Tripoli Colorado near Hartsell, Co.
We managed to get two out of three this year, with NCR cancelling due to rain.
After attending the other two launches, we took the toyhauler trailer up to some property we own near Trinidad, Co., we call it Weathertop. It's a short drive (2 hours) from Red River, and we have been making improvements for the last two years, in the hope that we can establish a residence there in the future.
Last year we had a road put in from the county road at the bottom of the hill. The road is about a half mile long and goes up to the top of our property. Around Christmas time we added a pad to build what might be called a "Barndominium". There is a pole with a 100 amp service that we can hook our Toyhauler up to there:

truck and trailer.jpg

This trip was to pull all the rockets out that we had been flying at the previous lauches and determine what we could fly at Airfest in Kansas next month. So we laid them all out on a rug in front of us and checked them out:
toyhauler with rockets.jpg

While I was playing with rockets, Sharon set up her office to do some work. We have the new Starlink mobile that allows us to work ANYWHERE, and wanted to see how the download speeds would be on top of a mountain in Southern Colorado. Starlink works great, and here is Sharon working away with her favorite snack:
sharon working with cheeto's.jpg

Meanwhile, I'm prepping my Avalanche. With a view:
my workspace.jpg

Some of the rockets were already prepped for the NCR launch, which was supposed to be a Tripoli research launch, so they already have research loads in them. Perfect for the Kloudbusters launch at the Rocket Pasture in Argonia, Kansas next month. I ohmed out a bunch of ematches for the rockets that I needed to prepare for that launch. We have quite a few dual deploy rockets, but only six of them need to be prepared for that launch:
rockets.jpg

After some prep work, I repacked all of these beauties back in the bunkbeds accessed up the ramp in the picture above, one of the great benefits of a toyhauler.
If you look back at the picture of Sharon in her office, you will see a portion of the pad that we plan to build on, and the road that continues up to the top of our property. We had a loop put up there so we could drive to the top and circle around. When we are staying for a while, we park the toyhauler at the top. The view up there is spectacular, with a 260 degee view from Fisher peak, across the Sandre de Christo mountains to the Spanish peaks to the west. Here is part of that view at the top of the cliff:
view at the top.jpg

After a hard day at work, we cooked up a couple of steaks, some potatoes and mushrooms on an open fire nearby. Just reward for my hard working wife:

steak and potatos.jpg

Whenever we grill steaks, Ula, the Great Pyrenees that is our next door neighbor always shows up:
Ula.jpg

With a beautiful sunset to finish up our day:
sunset.jpg

Last edited:
Those of you that follow us on TRF already know that we are spending the summer in Northern New Mexico in a little town called Red River.
We try to attend some of the launches nearby, like NSL in Alamosa, Co., NCR up in the Pawnee National grasslands and Tripoli Colorado near Hartsell, Co.
We managed to get two out of three this year, with NCR cancelling due to rain.
After attending the other two launches, we took the toyhauler trailer up to some property we own near Trinidad, Co., we call it Weathertop. It's a short drive (2 hours) from Red River, and we have been making improvements for the last two years, in the hope that we can establish a residence there in the future.
Last year we had a road put in from the county road at the bottom of the hill. The road is about a half mile long and goes up to the top of our property. Around Christmas time we added a pad to build what might be called a "Barndominium". There is a pole with a 100 amp service that we can hook our Toyhauler up to there:

View attachment 596749

This trip was to pull all the rockets out that we had been flying at the previous lauches and determine what we could fly at Airfest in Kansas next month. So we laid them all out on a rug in front of us and checked them out:
View attachment 596752

While I was playing with rockets, Sharon set up her office to do some work. We have the new Starlink mobile that allows us to work ANYWHERE, and wanted to see how the download speeds would be on top of a mountain in Southern Colorado. Starlink works great, and here is Sharon working away with her favorite snack:
View attachment 596754

Meanwhile, I'm prepping my Avalance. With a view:
View attachment 596755

Some of the rockets were already prepped for the NCR launch, which was supposed to be a Tripoli research launch, so they already have research loads in them. Perfect for the Kloudbusters launch at the Rocket Pasture in Argonia, Kansas next month. I ohmed out a bunch of ematches for the rockets that I needed to prepare for that launch. We have quite a few dual deploy rockets, but only six of them need to be prepared for that launch:
View attachment 596758

After some prep work, I repacked all of these beauties back in the bunkbeds accessed up the ramp in the picture above, one of the great benefits of a toyhauler.
If you look back at the picture of Sharon in her office, you will see a portion of the pad that we plan to build on, and the road that continues up to the top of our property. We had a loop put up there so we could drive to the top and circle around. When we are staying for a while, we park the toyhauler at the top. The view up there is spectacular, with a 260 degee view from Fisher peak, across the Sandre de Christo mountains to the Spanish peaks to the west. Here is part of that view at the top of the cliff:
View attachment 596764

After a hard day at work, we cooked up a couple of steaks, some potatoes and mushrooms on an open fire nearby. Just reward for my hard working wife:

View attachment 596765

Whenever we grill steaks, Ula, the great Pirenese that is our next door neighbor always shows up:
View attachment 596767

With a beautiful sunset to finish up our day:
View attachment 596766
Your whole post was very inspiring. I'm picking up my first RV (Sprinter-based motorhome) on Thursday in the hopes that I can travel a bit more and still get some work done. I'm totally new to all this and the RV has one of those Wingard antennas already on it, but thank you for mentioning Starlink, as I never even thought of that. . . duh!!!!!

Safe travels many places and often! I hope you do get your new homestead exactly how you want it. Seems to be a beautiful place!

Sandy.

Looking forward to seeing you at AIRFest again. Cyndee has finally agreed to come with me.
So I guess you will be upgrading the accomodations in Wellington?
All kidding aside, looking forward to seeing you and Cyndee next month.

Your whole post was very inspiring. I'm picking up my first RV (Sprinter-based motorhome) on Thursday in the hopes that I can travel a bit more and still get some work done. I'm totally new to all this and the RV has one of those Wingard antennas already on it, but thank you for mentioning Starlink, as I never even thought of that. . . duh!!!!!

Safe travels many places and often! I hope you do get your new homestead exactly how you want it. Seems to be a beautiful place!

Sandy.

Thanks for the kind comments Sandy. Starlink is definatly the ticket if your work requires good bandwidth and download speed.

The only downside to having three places is remembering where everything is located. Is in the Toy hauler? in Red River or is it in Goodyear? Yes, I know it is a first world problem but the struggle is real....

For example: Soldering Stations. Right now our primary rocket building place is Arizona. Wayco brought up a Butane version to Red River and fortunately had it in the Toy Hauler when he had a wire loose in an avbay. I ordered one of these to keep in Red River so we can keep the Butane version mobile.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00KX3LM1A/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

It seems we need one everywhere.

Sharon and Wayne, here’s my lineup for my next two launches:

Airfest:
4” Darkstar L1040Dm
3”Darkstar 2 stage L1090W-J800T
Darkstar Junior I327DM
Darkstar Mini H115DM
Mach 2 I599N

BlackRock:
4” Darkstar M585W
3” Darkstar 2 stage K455NW-K455NW
Darkstar Junior 2 stage J825R-J825R
Mach2 J1299N

There's something special about a guy that likes Darkstars and Dark Matter...
I'm assuming you meant the M685 long burn, and I hope you have better luck with that motor than I have.

That motor weighs 15.5 lbs. and with my Darkstar Extreme at 16.2 lbs. it just doesn't come of the rod well. I think the motor looses thrust before it gets off an 8 ft. rod, and with the declining thrust curve and vectored thrust from the offset core, it invariably lays over. Even my lighter carbon fiber Mongoose does this, repeatedly....
I even tried a 16 ft. rail at NSL, same results with my 12.3 lb. Big Bad Dog.

Last edited:
There's something special about a guy that likes Darkstars and Dark Matter...
I'm assuming you meant the M685 long burn, and I hope you have better luck with that motor than I have.

That motor weighs 15.5 lbs. and with my Darkstar Extreme at 16.2 lbs. it just doesn't come of the rod well. I think the motor looses thrust before it gets off an 8 ft. rod, and with the declining thrust curve and vectored thrust from the offset core, it invariably lays over. Even my lighter carbon fiber Mongoose does this, repeatedly....
I even tried a 16 ft. rail at NSL, same results with my 12.3 lb. Big Bad Dog.
Hmm. I bought that motor for a minimum diameter Mach 3. Maybe I need to rethink putting it in the DarkStar and go back to a lighter rocket.

Wayne, can you and Sharon save me room next to you for my EZUp and my car, like in the past? With Cyndee coming with me, I’m not sure if we will drive long enough on Wednesday to arrive at the Rocket Pasture at noon on Thursday. We may take our time and not get there until later on Thursday.

Latest posts

Back