updated nose cones

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WILDMANRS

TRF Sponsor
TRF Supporter
Reaction score
We have herd that a few of our cones did not take some of the extreme projects out at balls this year .
This is a first for us .
Over the next couple months we will be working with our supplier to make some improvements to the high temp cones ,to take some of the extreme projects you guys are coming up with .
This will only effect the high temp cones.
Thank You for your patience while we try to improve our products to handle these extremes.
Tim

Big ask, but curious if you'd be willing to share some data on the failed cones:
  • fiber material
  • matrix material
  • volume fraction
  • stacking sequence/wind angles
  • final thickness

We have herd that a few of our cones did not take some of the extreme projects out at balls this year .
This is a first for us .
Over the next couple months we will be working with our supplier to make some improvements to the high temp cones ,to take some of the extreme projects you guys are coming up with .
This will only effect the high temp cones.
Thank You for your patience while we try to improve our products to handle these extremes.
Tim
I had a 2" Wildman NC fail (it tore in a spiral pattern) upon being pressurized by an ejection charge of .7 grams of 4F BP. It was probably 6 months ago. Unfortunately I didn't take any photos. The nylon shear pins holding the NC to the payload were still intact. It was not a HT NC. The main didn't come out, so it landed hard, but the rest of the rocket survived. I just replaced the NC and the AV bay coupler that was cracked by the impact. That being said, I still believe your selling some of the best stuff available. I think one needs to be careful when drilling holes in the NC for shear pins and vents. If not careful, the hole can take out some of the spiral fibers and create a weak spot. I now make sure to use sharp drill bits using as little pressure as possible and backing where it can be used.

6” Nosecone from Ultimate Wildman, not a HT cone, failed at about M1.5…on a P5775 after ~6 secs
IMG_0308.jpeg

IMG_0309.jpeg

That angle of winding looks quite shallow IMO.

.View attachment 610059
Yes. I understand that it’s one of the considerations that Tim is evaluating. No knock on the product, I over stressed it.

Of course, I did three things that I would not repeat…
1) drilling holes…they do create stress concentrations and need to be avoided or have special treatment.
2) “hanging” the nose-weight from the aluminum tip adding longitudinal stress to the nose cone skin.
3) I did not bond the shoulder to the cone, creating more stress concentrations.

Any update on changes made to reinforce the nosecones? I have a 54mm high temp one I was planning on using for a flight that will hit mach 3, but seeing this I might need a new nosecone.

Back