Lowest cost Nomex Chute Protectors! If you find a better price from a competitor, we'll beat it!

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Valkyrie Recovery Systems

TRF Sponsor
Reaction score
Introducing the Nomex Chute Protector by Explorer by VRS

Affordability Meets Quality:
The Explorer by VRS Nomex Chute Protector sets the standard for cost-effective, high-quality parachute protection. As the lowest priced option in the market, this protector offers unparalleled value without compromising on durability or performance.

Premium Material: Crafted from vibrant orange Nomex fabric, this chute protector is designed to withstand extreme conditions. Nomex is renowned for its heat and flame resistance, ensuring your parachute is safeguarded during deployment.

Precision Laser Cutting:
Our innovative manufacturing process utilizes precise laser cutting technology. This not only reduces labor costs - a saving we pass directly to you - but also minimizes fraying, enhancing the longevity and reliability of the product.

Versatile Sizes for Every Need: Catering to a range of requirements, the Nomex Chute Protector is available in three convenient sizes:
12" x 12"

18" x 18"

24" x 24"
Each size features a meticulously laser-cut slot for easy and secure attachment to the shock cord.

Safety First: We understand that parachute protection is a critical component of your recovery system. That's why we recommend regular inspection and replacement of your chute protector. The affordability and ready availability of the Explorer by VRS Nomex Chute Protector make regular updates both feasible and hassle-free.

Explorer by VRS - Committed to protecting your parachutes: Our mission is to provide high-quality, cost-effective solutions for adventurers and explorers. Trust the Nomex Chute Protector to safeguard your parachute, so you can focus on soaring to new heights. https://www.valkyrierecoverysystems.com/store/p7/Nomex_Chute_Protector.html

Attachments

• 20231219_070746.jpg
    20231219_070746.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 1
  • 20231219_064728.jpg
    20231219_064728.jpg
    2.5 MB · Views: 0
  • 20231219_070755.jpg
    20231219_070755.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 0
  • 20231219_070751.jpg
    20231219_070751.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 0
Does the laser cutting process fuse the cut edges? From the photos it just looks like a raw fabric edge.

Does the laser cutting process fuse the cut edges? From the photos it just looks like a raw fabric edge.
Great question! The edges are fused, but admittedly they are not quite as durable as sewn edges. Rough handling will produce fraying on the edges, but normal handling does not immediately result in fraying. Arguably, Nomex chute protectors become damaged, brittle, stiff, and unusable rather quickly when exposed to repeated black powder charges. At the point of replacement, the fraying should be minimal and not create any issues. We took an approach of extremely low cost instead of trying to focus on a good look (which one ejection charge immediately diminishes) or trying to make the protector over built and durable beyond necessary. If you send a private message to us with your address, we would love to send you one to review.

Thank you for the question and we look forward to hearing from you,
Ashleigh
Office Manager

Looks like the chute protectors and drogue parachutes are sold out. Can you provide a "Notify when available" option for your products? They look very innovative, and I'd like to give them a try.

Looks like the chute protectors and drogue parachutes are sold out. Can you provide a "Notify when available" option for your products? They look very innovative, and I'd like to give them a try.
We will look into adding the option to "Notify when available" this next week. The chute protectors are currently in stock here: https://www.valkyrierecoverysystems.com/store/p7/Nomex_Chute_Protector.html and the drogue will be available on Monday.

Have a happy new year and we look forward to getting these drogues into everyone's hands and ultimately rockets.

I placed an order and will do a review.
I ordered several chute protectors and shock cords. The shock cords are well-sewn and made with quality tubular nylon. The Nomex chute protectors are not surged and appear to be of good quality. I will post more when I fly a few.

Valkyrie’s chute protectors are well made and laser cut. The edges are very clean but not bound or serged. I haven’t had a chance to launch them yet, so i don’t know how those edges will hold up in the field.

The cloth is pretty heavy duty and should provide very good burn-through protection.

For years I have made LPR chute protectors from old firefighter’s nomex turnout gear. I asked the local CalFire California Department of Forestry guys if I could have any of their old nomex discards and they happily obliged. The material is about the thickness of hiking pants, kinda kevlar yellow, and sometimes smoke-stained even after washing. You can get more useable material from a pair of pants than from a shirt, but if you’re willing to rip a seam (like a sewn on pocket) even a shirt will make a dozen or more smaller protectors.

I use a sewing machine to serge the edges and put a buttonhole in one corner. I didn’t have nomex thread so I used cotton thread and they have held up just fine with no burn-through.

Taking into consideration the time involved, especially for the bigger ones, I think the Valkyrie chute protectors are the better deal. For smaller rockets you cant beat the thinness of the turnout gear.

Back