"Tangle Proof" Drogue!!!! from Explorer by VRS

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Valkyrie Recovery Systems

TRF Sponsor
Reaction score
Say Goodbye to Tangles with the Only Tangle-Proof Drogue on the Market!

Explorer by VRS proudly presents the Explorer Drogue, a revolutionary step forward in model rocket parachutes. Designed specifically to address the malfunction of tangling, the Explorer Drogue stands alone in the market with its unique tangle-proof feature.

🔹 Why the Explorer Drogue is a Must-Have:

• Tangle-Proof Design: Our specialized mesh design ensures the drogue won't tangle with itself, a first in rocketry parachutes.
  • Robust Material: Constructed from high-quality ripstop nylon for durability and longevity.
  • Size Options for All Rockets: Choose from 12", 18", or 24" sizes to fit a range of model rockets.
  • Precision Craftsmanship: Built with 6 gores for a consistent and stable descent.
  • Balanced Drag Coefficient: With a drag coefficient of about 0.85, it ensures a safe and controlled landing.
🔹 Ideal for Hobbyists and Educators: The Explorer Drogue is perfect for anyone passionate about model rocketry or for educators bringing the excitement of rocket science to the classroom. With the assurance of tangle-free performance, focus more on the thrill of the launch and less on recovery challenges.

🌐 Available Soon! Be among the first to get your hands on the Explorer Drogue. Visit https://www.valkyrierecoverysystems.com/store/p6/Explorer_Drogue_*coming_soon*.html to learn more about this groundbreaking parachute. Planned release date is December 22, 2023.

Attachments

• f634b632-fa03-443a-b873-6b14ee8cccb9.PNG
    f634b632-fa03-443a-b873-6b14ee8cccb9.PNG
    557.3 KB · Views: 7
  • 482538e4-8263-4a3b-ad57-e7f429283559.PNG
    482538e4-8263-4a3b-ad57-e7f429283559.PNG
    376.7 KB · Views: 0
  • drogue drawing.JPG
    drogue drawing.JPG
    89.4 KB · Views: 0
  • Explorer drogue.png
    Explorer drogue.png
    56.4 KB · Views: 0
Very neat. I've seen these before with parachute toys for kids and was curious if they had a model rocketry application.

Question: what's the drawback to this design as opposed to a traditional parachute design? I'm guessing it's a little bit of added weight and notable increase in space needed for the packed parachute?

Very neat. I've seen these before with parachute toys for kids and was curious if they had a model rocketry application.

Question: what's the drawback to this design as opposed to a traditional parachute design? I'm guessing it's a little bit of added weight and notable increase in space needed for the packed parachute?
You are correct! The mesh does add some weight and bulk, but in a drogue application the bulk or mass is usually not an issue; but tangling is and that's what this drogue is designed to prevent. These specific drogues are a little better than the toy chutes in that the shape (and drag coefficient) and strengths are higher.

Thank you for the question and if you have anymore, please do not hesitate to ask.
Ben
CEO

You are correct! The mesh does add some weight and bulk, but in a drogue application the bulk or mass is usually not an issue; but tangling is and that's what this drogue is designed to prevent. These specific drogues are a little better than the toy chutes in that the shape (and drag coefficient) and strengths are higher.

Thank you for the question and if you have anymore, please do not hesitate to ask.
Ben
CEO
I appreciate your response, as I'm wondering if I could use the 12 or 18 inch sizes in my LPR builds...

Reserve pilot chutes for skydiving rigs use a very similar parachute, with the biggest difference being that the pilot chutes contain a spring to make sure they deploy quickly.

So are their 6 lines that terminate at the bottom for a swivel attachment? Or is it just mesh?
There are 6 nylon tapes (250lbs) that lay across the seams and terminate into a single loop at the bottom. The mesh is not structural, just there as a means to mitigate tangles.

Thank you for the question,
Ben
CEO

Can you post some photos of the chutes and the single loop at the bottom?
We are still waiting to take 'post-able' pictures, but I have attached some pictures of our first article that should show the single loop at the bottom and the construction.

If there are any questions or you need any more pictures, please let us know.

Thank you,
Ashleigh
Office Manager

Attachments

• 20231220_103529.jpg
    20231220_103529.jpg
    954 KB · Views: 0
  • 20231220_103541.jpg
    20231220_103541.jpg
    850 KB · Views: 0
  • 20231220_103533.jpg
    20231220_103533.jpg
    832.6 KB · Views: 0
Update on the Explorer Drogue Parachute

We're excited to bring you an update on our 'Tangle-Proof' drogue parachute. After extensive testing, we identified several areas that needed improvement, including the complexity of construction, stability, weight, pack volume, and cost. We're proud to announce that these challenges have been successfully addressed in the manufacturing of our final version.

What's New?

• Lighter Design: The new drogue is 17% lighter than its predecessor, making it more efficient and easier to deploy.
  • Enhanced Stability: Although we couldn't capture quality footage to measure the exact oscillation angle difference, the stability improvements in the new design are significantly noticeable.
  • Simplified Manufacturing: We've streamlined the manufacturing process to keep cost reasonable. The new design requires less mesh, which is a cost-saving measure as mesh tends to be more expensive.
  • Performance Trade-Off: To achieve greater stability, there is a slight adjustment to the drag coefficient, resulting in a minor trade-off of approximately -0.05. This change ensures a more controlled and stable descent for your rockets and a new Cd of 0.80
We believe these improvements make the Explorer Drogue an even more compelling choice for your model rocketry needs. The parachute now strikes an even better balance between functionality, affordability, and performance.

Stay tuned for more updates, and thank you for your continued support and enthusiasm for the Explorer Drogue! We are hoping to have a few in stock to post for sale Monday. We tried to get some pictures in the shop to show the new design, and they are attached. The final picture shows the difference between the previous design (left) and the new design (right).

Attachments

• drogue 02.JPG
    drogue 02.JPG
    14.2 KB · Views: 0
  • drogue 03.JPG
    drogue 03.JPG
    41.7 KB · Views: 0
  • drogue 04.JPG
    drogue 04.JPG
    43.1 KB · Views: 0
  • Drogue shape.JPG
    Drogue shape.JPG
    34 KB · Views: 0
  • Shape and reference measurement.JPG
    Shape and reference measurement.JPG
    64.5 KB · Views: 0
  • old on the left new on the right.jpg
    old on the left new on the right.jpg
    2.8 MB · Views: 0
Happy new year everyone. The drogues are finally available!!! There are only 5 available in each size currently, but we are working on more this week as well as a few other products that we are expecting to have available before the end of the month. https://www.valkyrierecoverysystems.com/store/p6/Explorer_Drogue.html

Ashleigh
Office Manager

Back