Oddroc Challenge

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
1646504559949.png1646504619712.png
A streamlined 4-6-4 Hudson is a good choice for a model rocket.

You know, some people are like a Slinky, they're not much good for anything, but they can bring a smile to your face if you push them down a flight of stairs.

Got my slinky out, and fits the body tube pretty closely (I think it's BT-80). I am thinking along terms of Wacky Wiggler or Break Away, with four or five sections, each connected by a slinky segment (so one slinky is divided into three or four "couplers". Will need some internal support, dowels or chopsticks to maintain alignment on boost. A bit concerned that the slinky itself adds a good bit of mass, I think as long as it separates it will not be a ground hazard, but may need some strong fins. OTOH, if I go with asymmetric fins, I can have the fin section come down with the breakable side up. Of course, that means it's gonna corkscrew on the way up, so I really WILL need some good internal alignment chopsticks. this is gonna be interesting....

I do like it, but I don't quite understand
1. how is it going to work?
2. is the sustainer likely to melt or otherwise burn through the slinky?
The slinky compressed act as a coupler. Below the slinky is just an empty tube and balsa fins. I wanted the tail light so that it wouldn't stress[hopefully] the slinky. The motor is above the slinky. The way I see it in my mind is, the motor lights, the rocket above the slinky, starts to open it up, at some point the upper section will pull the slinky and the part below the slinky up. I hope. If it works should look funny. It will only work with the plastic slinky. The metal ones are several ounces. Since I now remember that I have it, I'll take it to the next launch.

Got my slinky out, and fits the body tube pretty closely (I think it's BT-80). I am thinking along terms of Wacky Wiggler or Break Away, with four or five sections, each connected by a slinky segment (so one slinky is divided into three or four "couplers". Will need some internal support, dowels or chopsticks to maintain alignment on boost. A bit concerned that the slinky itself adds a good bit of mass, I think as long as it separates it will not be a ground hazard, but may need some strong fins. OTOH, if I go with asymmetric fins, I can have the fin section come down with the breakable side up. Of course, that means it's gonna corkscrew on the way up, so I really WILL need some good internal alignment chopsticks. this is gonna be interesting....
I bought a plastic one that was just about a perfect fit to the BT. The regular and XL were to large and heavy to come up with something that didn't need a HPR motor.

The slinky compressed act as a coupler. Below the slinky is just an empty tube and balsa fins. I wanted the tail light so that it wouldn't stress[hopefully] the slinky. The motor is above the slinky. The way I see it in my mind is, the motor lights, the rocket above the slinky, starts to open it up, at some point the upper section will pull the slinky and the part below the slinky up. I hope. If it works should look funny. It will only work with the plastic slinky. The metal ones are several ounces. Since I now remember that I have it, I'll take it to the next launch.

If we believe in Krushnic Effect, the rocket will just sit on the pad, creating noise and smoke, but no thrust.

Additionally, the motor's fire may burn everything below the motor nozzle.

Make sure it's a heads up launch and that you have a fire extinguisher within an arms reach..... and a video camera rolling.

Last edited:
If we believe in Krushnic Effect, the rocket will just sit on the pad, creating noise and smoke, but no thrust.

Additionally, the motor's fire may burn everything below the motor nozzle.
Yeah, I'm worried about this one, for that and another reason. What I see is this:

Suppose it lifts exactly as described. When the spring tension in the slinky reaches the lower section's weight, the lower section just begins to move, while the upper part is already moving at speed. Thus, the slinky stretches more, and then the lower section will spring back, catching up. But surely it can't possibly do that in a perfect, straight path; it will inevitably veer and wiggle. The tail will wag the dog.

Anyway, that's what I fear. Here's hoping I'm wrong, Lake is wrong, and everything goes smoothly.
Make sure it's a heads up launch and that you have a fire extinguisher within an arms reach..... and a video camera rolling.
Yeah, that.

Successfully flew large slinky rocket on an E20. Shock cord broke. Just need to reattach the slinky and the cord.

Attachments

• IMG_20220423_105107.jpg
    IMG_20220423_105107.jpg
    143.5 KB · Views: 14
  • VID_20220423_105326.mp4
    3.4 MB
Back