Project Aether Breather

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
1712365501662.png
Here is how I'm thinking so far... I want to make the scoop more noticeable, so I haven't colored it. I also haven't added any decals or anything. I also have to fix some of the lines on the wings because I got the dimensions wrong when I was templating. I think I might make the top something grayer instead of ivory, but I do like the shuttle-like look on it. Rocksim10 is pretty limiting when it comes to customizing it skin-wise. Some of the textures are projected in reverse onto the other side of the surface, so you logos will appear on both sides, and one is in reverse.

Were you decided on which nose cone you plan to use on this? Rschub's would pretty edgy and suited to the wing designs.

Edit, one other thing: this design kinda strikes me as something that it would have is a tail/engine shroud ->>
1712367008580.png1712367044582.png

It would be easy enough to print something, but also that's below the aft of the rocket so I don't know if you'd want to risk it getting damaged.

Last edited:
View attachment 638934
Here is how I'm thinking so far... I want to make the scoop more noticeable, so I haven't colored it. I also haven't added any decals or anything. I also have to fix some of the lines on the wings because I got the dimensions wrong when I was templating. I think I might make the top something grayer instead of ivory, but I do like the shuttle-like look on it. Rocksim10 is pretty limiting when it comes to customizing it skin-wise. Some of the textures are projected in reverse onto the other side of the surface, so you logos will appear on both sides, and one is in reverse.

Were you decided on which nose cone you plan to use on this? Rschub's would pretty edgy and suited to the wing designs.

Edit, one other thing: this design kinda strikes me as something that it would have is a tail/engine shroud ->>
View attachment 638939View attachment 638940

It would be easy enough to print something, but also that's below the aft of the rocket so I don't know if you'd want to risk it getting damaged.
I like what you’ve got going there. That looks really cool. I’m not sure I can pull it off as nice as it looks in your skins. That will be a challenging paint job to get it right (for my rattle can skills).

I haven’t seen it printed yet, but I am planning on using your nose cone design. I got help modifying it a little, adding some indentions where the cockpit windows decals will go (sort of like the SR-72).

I’m saving the hyper-velocity wedge nose cone for another design that I polished off today. Scott is laser cutting a fin set for it. I’m gonna make the air frame out of Blue Tube because I want it to be more durable. Planning on flying it on 6 grain K motors at some point.

I like what you’ve got going there. That looks really cool. I’m not sure I can pull it off as nice as it looks in your skins. That will be a challenging paint job to get it right (for my rattle can skills).

I haven’t seen it printed yet, but I am planning on using your nose cone design. I got help modifying it a little, adding some indentions where the cockpit windows decals will go (sort of like the SR-72).

I’m saving the hyper-velocity wedge nose cone for another design that I polished off today. Scott is laser cutting a fin set for it. I’m gonna make the air frame out of Blue Tube because I want it to be more durable. Planning on flying it on 6 grain K motors at some point.
All good… I tend to like detailed pain jobs lol. You couldddd try vinyl wraps, but i have no idea how well that works. At the very least, take what inspiration you want and go with it

All good… I tend to like detailed pain jobs lol. You couldddd try vinyl wraps, but i have no idea how well that works. At the very least, take what inspiration you want and go with it
I assume that since you like such detailed paint jobs, you have a favorite brand/type of painters tape that you used to mask off the various surfaces?

I agree that some of that approach could be done with vinyl, some would require paint to get it, right.

I assume that since you like such detailed paint jobs, you have a favorite brand/type of painters tape that you used to mask off the various surfaces?

I agree that some of that approach could be done with vinyl, some would require paint to get it, right.
I'm still experimenting. On my EZI-65, I used painters tape and paper to cover the areas that didn't need to be painted. The results were not as crisp as I would have wished. However, I think it also depended on the weather because I have had better results with painters tape in cooler weather. So no favorite yet lol

E: added some pics of my ezi painting…. Don’t judge my messy office please… that was when I was cleaning it up from moving lol

Attachments

• IMG_6272.jpeg
    IMG_6272.jpeg
    4.9 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_6285.jpeg
    IMG_6285.jpeg
    2.2 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_6286.jpeg
    IMG_6286.jpeg
    6.1 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_6298.jpeg
    IMG_6298.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
This is one of the more challenging paint schemes I’ve attempted. These pics show the early steps of trying to get a clean masking line between two colors.

Attachments

• IMG_5959.jpeg
    IMG_5959.jpeg
    817 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_5958.jpeg
    IMG_5958.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 0
What are you thinking for the graphics?
The stabilizers and wings will be done with vinyl. All four will have a black leading edge followed by a medium gray section and the aft 1/3 or so will remain white. I need to create a set of vinyl decals that fit in the cockpit window indentations. I also want to create a decal that looks like the entry portal for the crew (similar to the space shuttle). I want 2 small US flag decals (about 1” long). I’m thinking I might put US Space Force or US Air Force insignia on it somewhere. I’m considering decals on top that looks like cargo bay doors. I’m sure I will think of a few others as well…

The stabilizers and wings will be done with vinyl. All four will have a black leading edge followed by a medium gray section and the aft 1/3 or so will remain white. I need to create a set of vinyl decals that fit in the cockpit window indentations. I also want to create a decal that looks like the entry portal for the crew (similar to the space shuttle). I want 2 small US flag decals (about 1” long). I’m thinking I might put US Space Force or US Air Force insignia on it somewhere. I’m considering decals on top that looks like cargo bay doors. I’m sure I will think of a few others as well…
landing gear ports would be a good one too! Lmk if you need help making graphics, I'm also really good at that lol.

landing gear ports would be a good one too! Lmk if you need help making graphics, I'm also really good at that lol.
I thought about landing gear graphics, but the scram-jet scoop would require massive landing gear if this design was real. I like to think that this imaginary spacecraft had to be assembled in space and spends its entire mission in upper-atmospheric to LEO region (conducting special operations). In an emergency situation, the cockpit capsule could return the occupants to earth acting as an Apollo style re-entry vehicle.

Back