Project Sasquatch (24" diameter Madcow Squat)

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I saw the flight at LDRS41. I also heard a rumor you couldn't find it afterwards and needed to use a drone to find it. Any true to that? Or was it just easier to spot with a drone rather than walking through all the brush and trees searching for it?

I saw the flight at LDRS41. I also heard a rumor you couldn't find it afterwards and needed to use a drone to find it. Any true to that? Or was it just easier to spot with a drone rather than walking through all the brush and trees searching for it?
I’ll preface the short version of the story with the fact that I grew up flying in the southwest. Essentially all I ever knew was lakebeds and wide open ranges. Corn was a good you ate at a BBQ, not a crop that could conceal rockets.

Everyone has seen this thread, it’s a 24” diameter rocket! It’s HUGE! It weighs ~200pounds, and has a 28ft chute on a flight to barely 3,000ft.

Shocked doesn’t begin to describe the feeling after ~6 hour of looking with four separate groups, and not a sign of the thing…at all…nothing.

It didn’t occur to me (never had to solve the problem of “lost mega rocket”) to use a drone. Right at sunset as I call off the search party and need to head to the banquet, I hear from a group of flyer that they had a drone, and knew exactly where it was.

:facepalm:

Duh! A drone. Of course.

So Sunday morning, I find a friend with a drone, and sure enough 60 seconds later we’ve found it.

That’s enough for now.

Mind you that is only half the story. Couldn’t park anywhere close to it, and hauling a 200pound, 8ft wide rocket out of 8ft tall corn…was memorable.

And to all the locals that asked me, “what kind of tracker did I put in it? You didn’t fly without one, right?”. I wish you would have mentioned it sooner. I’ve got a trailer full of tracking equipment and I didn’t bother. I built this beast big and silly and did’t ever expect that *loosing it* was even an option.

Last edited:
And to all the locals that asked me, “what kind of tracker did I put in it? You didn’t fly without one, right?”. I wish you would have mentioned it sooner. I’ve got a trailer full of tracking equipment and I didn’t bother. I built this beast big and silly and don’t ever expect that *loosing it* was even an option.

Lance Licktieg from the KLOUDBusters has a question related to that: "What rocket do you put a tracker in?" The answer? "Any rocket you want to get back"

It's a lesson a lot of us, including me, have learned the hard way. I had a rocket I flew on I motors. The rocket I lost it on? G38.

-Kevin

Latest posts

Back