Oddroc Challenge

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jqavins

Слава Україні
TRF Supporter
Reaction score
I had this notion as inspiration for an oddroc. But I'm not much of an oddroc guy myself, and have other design and build priorities, so I'm not going to use it. Have at it, guys.

Design a rocket that uses a Slinky, either as a major design element or a functional element.

Not sure I’m accepting the challenge but if I did I think I’d use a Slinky Jr - 2.5” diameter - fitted around the outside of a body tube at the forward end and attached at the base of a transition or nose cone using it as a “shock cord”. At deployment the upper section opens the rocket, extends the Slinky and recovers like an Estes Whacky Wiggler or Oddl Rockets Breakaway. Again, not that I’m accepting - just thinking out loud…🤔

Not sure I’m accepting the challenge but if I did I think I’d use a Slinky Jr - 2.5” diameter - fitted around the outside of a body tube at the forward end and attached at the base of a transition or nose cone using it as a “shock cord”. At deployment the upper section opens the rocket, extends the Slinky and recovers like an Estes Whacky Wiggler or Oddl Rockets Breakaway. Again, not that I’m accepting - just thinking out loud…🤔

This states a Slinky Jr. is 1.5" diameter... even better!

Maybe use a Slinky Jr. and / or a regular Slinky (2.75" diameter) and / or Giant Slinky (3.5" diameter) to make an Estes Cygnus Probe as previously discussed here: Cygnus Probe Ship #1351

Update: I started a build thread here: Lakeroadster's Cygnus Probe Ship

BT-55 (1.325") with the slinky Jr. on it's o.d. for the upper section
BT-80 (2.60") with the regular slinky on it's o.d. for the lower section

Estes Cygnus Probe 001.jpg

Last edited:
I had thought a plastic slinky would make a near-perfect drag generator, but spirals-on-tubes is not exactly new territory.

Slinky dog with two tractor motors is doable. Cover the motor tubes with his legs and paws going back. Straighten out his neck of course. Might be able to use a heavy toy head above light foam body balls? Weight up front good. Motors up front good. A streamer wrap for a collar on a short neck tube. Maybe an added parachute stuffed in the head? Parachute for brains; the rocket or the flyer? At least two canted 24mm mounts, 3 or 4? Two 29mm, all depends on the mindsim. A nice long leather tail and rear legs. Run a launch rod through the centerline..."oh don't worry Mr. RSO, that rear end launch tunnel is well lubed per doctor's orders!" (Insert and start singing "I'm All Right", theme song to Caddyshack by Kenny Loggins.) A spit roast slinky dog! Moms and kids will love it. Maybe a stink eye from a Karen. Telescoping off the pad can be seen by some as unnatural. You must always be cautious not to reveal your dark art tendencies. "Yes Mr. RSO, the recovery is falling with style!"

Thanks Joe, I needed a kick in my seventh planet, and since they cost less than $4 shipped to my door, I am good.
I like @Scott_650 ‘s idea.
debating between something like my Viagara versio of Wacky Wiggler, or maybe just use it like a very long shock cord.

so I am in.

Last edited:
Wink.jpg
'Cause, baby, you're a firework
Come on, show 'em what you're worth
Make 'em go, "Oh, oh, oh"
As you shoot across the sky
Baby, you're a firework
Come on, let your colors burst
Make 'em go, "Oh, oh, oh"
You're gonna leave 'em all in awe, awe, awe

I would think a rocket powered slinky would straighten out and not be able to hold it's spring form...THAT MUST BE THE WAY EGON SPLENGLER IN GHOSTBUSTERS STRAIGHTED OUT HIS ONLY CHILDHOOD TOY! :)

Recoil? Ya'll think it might be a good idea to add some weight to the bottom of the Slinky to keep it from recoiling during flight?

As soon as I saw this I thought of you with tractor motors up front...

Slinky dog with two tractor motors is doable. Cover the motor tubes with his legs and paws going back. Straighten out his neck of course. Might be able to use a heavy toy head above light foam body balls? Weight up front good. Motors up front good. A streamer wrap for a collar on a short neck tube. Maybe an added parachute stuffed in the head? Parachute for brains; the rocket or the flyer? At least two canted 24mm mounts, 3 or 4? Two 29mm, all depends on the mindsim. A nice long leather tail and rear legs. Run a launch rod through the centerline..."oh don't worry Mr. RSO, that rear end launch tunnel is well lubed per doctor's orders!" (Insert and start singing "I'm All Right", theme song to Caddyshack by Kenny Loggins.) A spit roast slinky dog! Moms and kids will love it. Maybe a stink eye from a Karen. Telescoping off the pad can be seen by some as unnatural. You must always be cautious not to reveal your dark art tendencies. "Yes Mr. RSO, the recovery is falling with style!"

Isn’t that what they call a POGO instability?

definitely a “heads-up” flight.

Last edited:
Rings tail...

Glue the two ends together, stick a body tube through the middle, and douse the whole contact area of Slinky and body tube with thin CA glue. Pretty draggy...

View attachment 500628
Tell everyone it is an anti-gravity device! On launch it works! "Eureka! We are going to Mars!" Major rocket science breakthrough!

The possible effects of a stretchy and wiggly body tube have been part of my mindsim from the start.

No, let me amend that: I've been trying to include that in my mindsim from the start, and finding it impossible. That's a good reason to avoid doing it. Or maybe a reason to do it.

I love @BigMacDaddy's "Helico-toroid fin". By the word "challenge" I did not mean to imply that I would be picking a winner, but that's the winner.

The possible effects of a stretchy and wiggly body tube have been part of my mindsim from the start.

No, let me amend that: I've been trying to include that in my mindsim from the start, and finding it impossible. That's a good reason to avoid doing it. Or maybe a reason to do it.

I love @BigMacDaddy's "Helico-toroid fin". By the word "challenge" I did not mean to imply that I would be picking a winner, but that's the winner.
Stretchy and wiggly rocket bodies rock!
20210604_091847.jpg
Keeping a traditional stiff body tube, motor in the back and the slinky as a rear ring fin is much more palatable to the Jedi!

Combining the slinky dog animal motif with the original idea of using the spring as a recovery device...
How about a slinky dragon (son of @BruceS 's Green Dragon naturally)?
Slinky resides around a central tube carried on a sort of hanger fin during thrust with a series of small fins which are attached (simple loop eye) along the slinky wires but stack over the main fins on the tube to minimise surface area and stream line during flight. The NC is attached to the front of the slinky and the small fins increase in size going from the front to back.
Upon ejection, the slinky dragon spreads out and (hopefully) glides back earth gracefully with its streamlined head and draggy increasingly large wings causing it to stretch out At the least it might wiggle and jiggle around in an unusual and entertaining way before getting tangled into a ball.

Attachments

• IMG_20220131_173211.jpg
    IMG_20220131_173211.jpg
    55.6 KB · Views: 20
Back