MEGA BUILD THREAD - The Mighty Saturns 1/100 Scale

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That’s pretty cool!

It’s my goal to one day have a 1:100 collection of manned American space vehicles, Redstone to New Shepard. This should be fun.

In other news, looks like your docking port will be available, JS!

Yup, the word seems to be that OFT-2 is losing its place in line and we're up.

Which I'm fine with. We'll get that thing outta here and be done with it, and relax a bit for the rest of the month. We'll still be working on 17 but the pressure won't be so high.

That’s pretty cool!

It’s my goal to one day have a 1:100 collection of manned American space vehicles, Redstone to New Shepard. This should be fun.

Similar, it's been a goal of mine for a while to have 1/100 flyable Mercury to Apollo. Just waiting now for Boyce to come out with that 1/100 scale Gemini-Titan...

Similar, it's been a goal of mine for a while to have 1/100 flyable Mercury to Apollo. Just waiting now for Boyce to come out with that 1/100 scale Gemini-Titan...
It's been a Dream of mine as well, but I MUST have a Titen III MOL.
Sadly it will stay a dream, but if that Titen came along I think I would have to find a way to get one.

Antares JS I have started back building my 1/100 SA-5. I drew up these Fin numbers and some small detail that goes on the base. Have a look and if you want to use them feel free to do so.
My next thing is to start to draw up the Black and White eight tank wraps. What is your next SA to build the 6 or 7?

Attachments

• Black_and_White_tanks_SA-5 A.pdf
    735.9 KB · Views: 31
  • SA-5 Base Markings.pdf
    171.3 KB · Views: 32
Antares JS I have started back building my 1/100 SA-5. I drew up these Fin numbers and some small detail that goes on the base. Have a look and if you want to use them feel free to do so.
My next thing is to start to draw up the Black and White eight tank wraps. What is your next SA to build the 6 or 7?

SA-7 is next. After that, probably the two Boyce 1B's.

That's pretty sweet, and I didn't know it existed until now. I've been thinking about replacing the towers on my 1/100 Mercury rockets with solid pieces in place of the lattices like I did for the Saturns.
eRockets makes a bunch of cool balsa nose and tail cones, transitions and fins.

eRockets makes a nice balsa BNC-19 sized Mercury capsule and LES. I bought it and the 1:100 MR fin can and vinyl decals to make a balsa top version also.
https://www.erockets.biz/semroc-balsa-nose-cone-bt-19-2-6-capsule-sem-bnc-19mc/
There is always the "Mold'n Oldies" Titan NC from the #1978 kit. It isn't 1/100 scale (it's 1/73) and uses I believe a BT-60 for the main tube. I bought the PNC1978 from Dave Miller at Sirius and it's a nice piece.

https://www.siriusrocketry.biz/ishop/moldin-oldies-pnc-1978-150.html
Sorry, just saw this was "sold out." BUT! Estes is trolling the interest waters to see if anyone wants it re-released. I suspect this one is high on the list.

There is always the "Mold'n Oldies" Titan NC from the #1978 kit. It isn't 1/100 scale (it's 1/73) and uses I believe a BT-60 for the main tube. I bought the PNC1978 from Dave Miller at Sirius and it's a nice piece.

https://www.siriusrocketry.biz/ishop/moldin-oldies-pnc-1978-150.html
Sorry, just saw this was "sold out." BUT! Estes is trolling the interest waters to see if anyone wants it re-released. I suspect this one is high on the list.
While you’re waiting for Estes and Sirius to come out with their stuff you can get, build, launch and recover the following,
https://boyceaerospacehobbies.com/c...oducts/gemini-titan-builders-kit-1-46th-scale
https://boyceaerospacehobbies.com/c...s/products/titan-ii-builders-kit-1-46th-scale

We're back! Briefly. Unfortunately it's too cold to spray paint, and my painting methods for these require painting individual components during assembly. There isn't much I can do on SA-7 before needing to paint to continue.

I've put the motor retainer threads and a bulk plate for mounting the tank tubes on the motor mount, added detail parts to the stage 1/2 transition, and mounted the launch lugs on one of the tank tubes.

20220123_200548.jpg

Touched up the fin can paint and epoxied the fin can to the tank tube plate. The tank tubes are just dry fitted at the moment to keep the fin can straight as it cures. Hopefully once we are back from dinner, the fin can will be cured enough to remove and epoxy the tank tubes and the stage 1/2 transition, completing the stage 1 assembly.

I also painted the display engines silver.

20220429_154129.jpg

20220429_154134.jpg

Hello Level 3 John. ;) Hope all is well. The Saturn project is looking good. What size motor does it recommend?

The Saturn 1's will use the good old Estes D12-3. I think the Aerotech E20-4W would also be a good choice.

Epoxied the first stage together with some BSI 30 minute, mostly to have enough working time to align and press everything together.

20220429_193409.jpg

The Saturn 1's will use the good old Estes D12-3. I think the Aerotech E20-4W would also be a good choice.

Epoxied the first stage together with some BSI 30 minute, mostly to have enough working time to align and press everything together.

View attachment 516466
With a more sporty model I’d recommend doing the first flight with a C11-3, but that looks heavy and delicate enough that I’d want more altitude and less risk of it becoming a rocket-powered dart. The D12-3 sounds like an excellent choice.

Ah yes, the good ol D12. I have an E20-4 White and your welcome to use it when we get to fly the rocket. :)
View attachment 516466

Latest posts

Back