Saturn V that's uses multiple engines

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I seem to recall a photo of an Apogee Saturn V with a larger central motor and four smaller ones surrounding, but that was many years ago.

If I'd had more confidence in my building skills I'd have modified my Saturn that way. But that was built 20-odd years ago.

I would also, but I am not having luck getting 3 motors to fire at the same time :(

And unfortunately only having 3 or 4 launches per year, you don't get a lot of practice doing so.

Dose anyone know if a Saturn V that's is 1/70 scale and uses multiple engines instead of 1 big engine.

I thought someone at the latest vnarcon manufacturers zoom showed a mod for the 1:100 estes kit that used 5 motors in the display nozzle assembly. I thought it was Altaira, but just checked erockets and didn't see it.

Didn't Estes have a Saturn V back in mid 70's that was multi Engine?
I seem to remember building one, then launching one, ONCE. I remember that not all the engines ignited, it flew, sorta, then smacked the ground.
After the repairs I just use it as a display.
I am not finding anything in my searches that there was, so maybe it was a mod by me at the time. I am old, so memory not so great!
(I have a Saturn V 2157 in my build pile, and never realized it was single engine till just now digging it out and looking.)

I thought someone at the latest vnarcon manufacturers zoom showed a mod for the 1:100 estes kit that used 5 motors in the display nozzle assembly. I thought it was Altaira, but just checked erockets and didn't see it.
Boyce Aerospace has a 3D printed fin can for the Estes 1/100 Saturn V. It has a central 24 or 29mm with 4x 18mm holes around it. I have it (and the Estes kit), but have not built it yet. It's a little heavy, so more nose weight will be needed. Also, the fins are a little smaller (more to scale?).

https://boyceaerospacehobbies.com/collections/fins-fin-cans/products/saturn-v-fin-can

I seem to remember building one, then launching one, ONCE. I remember that not all the engines ignited, it flew, sorta, then smacked the ground.
I am not finding anything in my searches that there was, so maybe it was a mod by me at the time. I am old, so memory not so great!
(I have a Saturn V 2157 in my build pile, and never realized it was single engine till just now digging it out and looking.)

It was a 3 C engine cluster what made it a D+ thrust.

Back in the mid to late '70s I took a Centuri Saturn V, 1/100th scale, and modified it for 5 first stage engines. The kit had vacuformed nozzles of thin plastic so I cut them up to fit around the engine tubes and they looked fairly good. I flew it 3 or 4 times and it flew great on 5 C engines. Here is a picture I took of it at a contest behind the KSC HQ building in April 1979 which may have been its last flight.

Attachments

• AECM-3 Jul 79 8.jpg
    AECM-3 Jul 79 8.jpg
    314.7 KB · Views: 1
Boyce Aerospace has a 3D printed fin can for the Estes 1/100 Saturn V. It has a central 24 or 29mm with 4x 18mm holes around it. I have it (and the Estes kit), but have not built it yet. It's a little heavy, so more nose weight will be needed. Also, the fins are a little smaller (more to scale?).

https://boyceaerospacehobbies.com/collections/fins-fin-cans/products/saturn-v-fin-can
With the re-release of the Saturn V later this year, this might become a popular replacement option for a number of people looking for a more authentic looking launch. Boyce is probably saying thank-you to Estes.

With the re-release of the Saturn V later this year, this might become a popular replacement option for a number of people looking for a more authentic looking launch. Boyce is probably saying thank-you to Estes.
Nothing says "thank-you Estes" like the smoke filled ignition of (5) of their 24mm motors... ;-)

A friend of mine back around 1970 bought the S1B Estes model and that had 4 engines. The launch was a spectacular failure as he wired the igniters up wrong so only 2 of the 4 fired--It belly flopped! Just great times. I did successfully launch a 3 engine Defender (that I think was a Centuri model)--Awesome amount of smoke

Does anyone know if a Saturn V that's is 1/70 scale and uses multiple engines instead of 1 big engine.

Multiple engines. That's a tall order because we're talking composite motors on the 1/70 scale Saturn V. And composite motors aren't very suitable for clusters.​

What I posted in a previous thread. This is still a work in progress.

I’m currently building an Apogee Saturn V with a 5 motor cluster configuration. Below are a couple pictures. I had the centering rings laser cut for a central 29mm and 4 24mm. I also had the centering rings for the 5 motor tubes and nozzles laser cut. The motor tubes are foil lined from BMS. This is a slow work in progress, and I’m making stuff up as I go along.

The first question you need to ask is do you really want to hack up a nice kit. These kits are expensive, though I got mine at a more reasonable price on eBay a while ago. I think a lot of people purchased Saturn V’s for the Anniversary, but decided not to build them.

Search the forum, others have done similar, especially with the Estes Saturn V. I plan to do a similar build with the Estes Skylab.

2AC30595-6921-468A-BA9A-E32A18F2030F.jpeg

8BAFED11-C0DA-441A-ADD5-2CD1586D9D64.jpeg

What I posted in a previous thread. This is still a work in progress.

I’m currently building an Apogee Saturn V with a 5 motor cluster configuration. Below are a couple pictures. I had the centering rings laser cut for a central 29mm and 4 24mm. I also had the centering rings for the 5 motor tubes and nozzles laser cut. The motor tubes are foil lined from BMS. This is a slow work in progress, and I’m making stuff up as I go along.

The first question you need to ask is do you really want to hack up a nice kit. These kits are expensive, though I got mine at a more reasonable price on eBay a while ago. I think a lot of people purchased Saturn V’s for the Anniversary, but decided not to build them.

Search the forum, others have done similar, especially with the Estes Saturn V. I plan to do a similar build with the Estes Skylab.

2AC30595-6921-468A-BA9A-E32A18F2030F.jpeg

8BAFED11-C0DA-441A-ADD5-2CD1586D9D64.jpeg
How much weight do you think you will need to add to the nose?

How much weight do you think you will need to add to the nose?
I’m still working on the ORK file, but looking at about 12oz. I’m not using scale fins. I had larger fins laser cut to help out with the CP. you lose the scale look, but it gives you some breathing room on the stability.
7FCC2C03-7CFD-4504-94CA-5DF2984C5C80.jpeg

I would also, but I am not having luck getting 3 motors to fire at the same time :(

And unfortunately only having 3 or 4 launches per year, you don't get a lot of practice doing so.
If you're flying black powder motors, give MJG's black powder starters a try; they have not failed me for simultaneous ignition. For composite clusters, I've learned the hard way to ground test, expensive as that can be. I've only been working with mid-power motors so far, but BKNO3-dipped MJG bp starters have been working well for me. For larger motors, I'd try full-on ematches, dipped and perhaps lighting pyrodex pellets, but that's only received wisdom speaking; I've not tried it yet.

Back