Goddard A-3 Rocket

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PeterAlway

Reaction score
I've been thinking that there is some scale data that should just be available to everyone. I can think of a few basic subjects--something by Goddard, the V-2, Mercury-Redstone, Vostok, Saturn V, and a few others--that are essential scale subjects. So I figure I should upload some sort of basic scale data for these wherever rocketeers congregate.

I decided to start with Goddard, but instead of that unflyable first rocket of March 16, 1926, I thought I'd upload his A-3, which has nice big fins, and no crazy steering vanes to model (and break off) at the back end. Since this site seems to be OK with pdf files, I'll just attach it.

Let me know if you'd like to see more, what subjects would be among the ten or so "Essential" subjects, and where else it would make sense to post this and possible other subjects.

Attachments

• Goddard A-3 Essential PDF.pdf
    4.1 MB · Views: 0
Might suggest, going by historical prominence from the start of the space race to 2000:
  • USA
    • SM-65 Atlas (nuclear missile)
    • Mercury-Redstone
    • Saturn V
    • Delta II
    • Titan IV
    • Space Shuttle
  • Europe
    • Ariane 4
  • USSR
    • R-7 Semyorka (nuclear missile)
    • N-1
    • Soyuz
    • Proton
  • China
    • Long March 3B
Going instead by prototypes that were reasonably historically prominent, had fins, and make for interesting scale models (most being popular scale and scale competition subjects):
  • Astrobee D (or another simple fins-and-nose-cone rocket, to have one on the list)
  • Aerobee 150
  • Javelin (Argo D-4)
  • Black Brant IX
  • LTV Scout B
  • Delta B or C (with the wider payload fairing)
  • Mercury-Redstone
  • Little Joe II
  • Saturn IB
  • Saturn V
  • Ariane 1
  • Vostok
  • Long March 3B

Last edited:
I’d add Pegasus as the first privately developed space launcher. And the Congreve rockets since those are enshrined in the USA national anthem.

I can't remember.. the A series had gyroscopes? The A5 flew up, then cruise missiled. Not sure what the A3 did. I think it popped a chute at the top. Clockwork delay?

I'll find out soon, going thru Roswell in a couple weeks.

Back