Lakeroadster's Thunderfighter MkII

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Wow dad, look at that guy flying the really cool odroc with the super nice paint job. He must really (k)now what he is doing to have invested all that finishing work before the maiden flight. Confidence is key!
It's either that... or... he just wants it to look pretty before he flies it into the ground and turns into a smoldering pile of ruble :headspinning::haironfire::wavingsanta:

Those thick, square, leading edges might put a few of the old dude airfoil purists over the edge! Hopefully the guy who once said that square edged fins were "The bane of the hobby" will not see this post. Otherwise he will have a complete triggering and melt down, the likes of which no safe space, comfort plushy or therapy pet will be able to quell. :)

Those thick, square, leading edges might put a few of the old dude airfoil purists over the edge! Hopefully the guy who once said that square edged fins were "The bane of the hobby" will not see this post. Otherwise he will have a complete triggering and melt down, the likes of which no safe space, comfort plushy or therapy pet will be able to quell. :)
Yeah, I remember that post too. Rocket Snobs...

Yeah, I remember that post too. Rocket Snobs...
I don't. In fact I just searched for "bane" and found many interesting things. At the top of the list:
1) All the usual suspects have been called the bane of various people's existence (painting, fillets, spirals, etc.)
2) Micromeister was fiercely opposed to overbuilding ("the bane of the hobby")
3) Daddyisabar has been saying for more than 10 years that someone else said "square edges are the bane of the hobby"

But I have not found any evidence that anyone has said such a thing, at least not on TRF. Link please, @Daddyisabar... or we be forced to consider that this is a misdirection to hide people from knowing that it is actually *you* who secretly objects to square edges, and lives a secret parallel existence competing in FAI duration events.

I don't. In fact I just searched for "bane" and found many interesting things. At the top of the list:
1) All the usual suspects have been called the bane of various people's existence (painting, fillets, spirals, etc.)
2) Micromeister was fiercely opposed to overbuilding ("the bane of the hobby")
3) Daddyisabar has been saying for more than 10 years that someone else said "square edges are the bane of the hobby"

But I have not found any evidence that anyone has said such a thing, at least not on TRF. Link please, @Daddyisabar... or we be forced to consider that this is a misdirection to hide people from knowing that it is actually *you* who secretly objects to square edges, and lives a secret parallel existence competing in FAI duration events.
No one expects the Inquisition! Yes, you are a true and devoted acolyte for the data tape search. I must prove my innocence after more than a decade before the high Jedi council!

The Roman's are knocking on the door! Quicky, hide you oddroc scum! My eyes are dim, I cannot see...

Yes, there were many "bane of the hobby" posts back in the day. Good ole Micro might have coined the phrase on the forum, I know he fiercely disliked the term "mindsim." As I remember it was a "using square leading edge and it's effects on altitude" discussion. Any Inefficiency is the ultimate bane of the true rocket scientist. And the rocket in this thread is... well... BULLETPROOFING RULES!

Oh dear Inqusitor, if I be guilty of airfoil piety, please review my posted builds. Lazy, square edged oddroc abominations they are all. Damned by pink book lawyering I throw myself on the mercy of the kangaroo court, the drum head trial. For I do not want to search the entire database since 2007. It was a long time ago, probably before the Sherri 's Hot Rockets forum blackout.

Q has passed judgment: GULITY!

Pennace: Reform to a true competitor utilizing all methods to win! JUST WIN BABY!

It would be cool if I were a secret competitor but alas, I just don't have the knowledge and skill level to enter such rarefied air.

LOVE ME SOME SQUARE EDGES!

More thick plywood fins!

More Power!

More RSO frightening airplane oddrocs!

P.S. As a ponder it might have been over on that other forum, you know YORF, with all those TRF haters. Scum and villainy!

Last edited:
I don't. .... Link please ....

Post #43 here

There has to be eleventeen ways to get something other than a square edge to a flying surface. It's just me, but I find a blunt edge on anything going more than 40 miles a hour is like petting the cat backwards. Prolly more about aesthetics than performance, given most flight envelopes are measured in seconds and if there is any transonic region, it's only a percentage of that. Others may know better, but even disposable munitions bother with foiling to a certain degree. Square edges seem like they will 'hunt' as airflow tries to stabilize the attached vehicle, reducing speed off the rail and the cp fights the pendulum effect. Not interested in debating aerodynamics with anybody, but we ARE building rockets, right?

Last edited:
The ultimate example of awesome snobbery I saw was at a NARAM or NSL where Estes brought out all the beautiful models used for old time catalog photography. One problem was quickly pointed out by the crowd ... square fin edges! The tension was quickly quelled when it was pointed out that square edges look better in photographs. These models were meant only for beautiful photos. Shelf Queens, never to fly but to be admired forever! All of the catalog browsing dreams of the young boys in the 70's came true!

The white, thick, sharp squared edges on this 1970's space fantasy ship are awesome! All the Erin Grey dreams of the young 1970's sci fi watching boys will come true if they can successfully fly the Buck Rodgers spaceship AS SEEN ON TV!

Personally I never sand the edges of my fins. Because I like drag. I go out of my way to make my rockets draggy. I use tube fins, I use rubberized paint. I add greebles and go for the most unsmooth finish I can make in a rocket with spray paint. I purposely add drag, and then shove in the biggest motor I can get away with, because all that drag means there is a good chance I will still still recover my rocket at the end of the day.

I go out of my way to make my rockets draggy. I use tube fins, I use rubberized paint. I add greebles and go for the most unsmooth finish I can make in a rocket with spray paint.
Try waiting until the paint is just barely not running and is still very tacky, then roll the rocket around in sand.

It's his mirror universe self, with goatee, like Mr. Spock.
I will round my edges and grow a beard if I get to be in the scene where Uhura puts her dagger away!

Warning: Old dude sci fi crushes they had as young boys is extensively covered over on that less family forum YORF. Especially Terri Garr. No need for such problematic trash here. Keep it scientific TRF! ;)

Oh, maybe I should check YORF out after all. How do they feel about Mariette Hartley over there?
Well being stuck over on YORF is like being stuck on a primitive ice planet in a cave... without Zarabeth! :)

Start a thread, it would be the most popular in years! Old dudes rock! Bring back all the old sci fi DREAMBOAT model rockets!

I guess it is the shape of the center fuselage wedged in between the pointed balance shafts that requires a great deal of old fashioned Freudian analysis on this one. Way beyond computer analysis and in need of even more swinging tests. :)

Last edited:
Decal Prep

Sprayed some clear on the 2nd decal sheet. I consolidated the decals for this rocket along with the nose cone decals for my TWA SST, all onto one sheet.

001.JPG

Back