A Sci-Fi Scratch Build - IHSF "Kessel Runner"

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lakeroadster

When in doubt... build hell-for-stout!
Reaction score
This one is based on an Isaac Hannaford drawing.

isaac_hannaford_07.jpg
______________________________________________________________________________________________________​
I fired up the CAD station and made a model starting with (4) pieces of plywood glued to make the body.

004.JPG
______________________________________________________________________________________________________​
I then added the fins and the motor pods, along with a launch lug standoff.

003.JPG
This will be rear eject using 29mm power.

002.JPG
___________________________________________________________________________________________________

And a OpenRocket Simulations

2024-02-09 Open Rocket Simulation - 3D Finished.jpg

Last edited:
Fuselage Halves Gluing and Cutting Internals

I cut a 1" hole in some scrap and shoved the nose into it, then rubber banded the motor end. This allowed me to shoot some glue down into the nose. Once that dries I can start gluing in the internal bits and pieces.​

001.JPG001A.JPG002.JPG003.JPG004.JPG005.JPG

Last edited:
I was thinking Kessel Runner might be a good name!
And so it shall be written...​
The Kessel Run, which was first mentioned by Han Solo in Star Wars: Episode IV – A New Hope, is a smuggling route used to transport “spice” from the mines of Kessel where Wookiee slaves were worked to death to turn it into a recreational drug. Kessel was a planet home to a massive glitterstim spice manufacturing operation, producing what was basically a psychotropic drug made from the webs of space spiders that provided its user with feelings of intense euphoria and boosted mental and telepathic abilities. Kessel and its mines were largely controlled by the Galactic Empire, hence the need for smugglers to devise a route to spirit it away from Kessel to black markets all across the galaxy far, far away.​

And so it shall be written...​
The Kessel Run, which was first mentioned by Han Solo in Star Wars: Episode IV – A New Hope, is a smuggling route used to transport “spice” from the mines of Kessel where Wookiee slaves were worked to death to turn it into a recreational drug. Kessel was a planet home to a massive glitterstim spice manufacturing operation, producing what was basically a psychotropic drug made from the webs of space spiders that provided its user with feelings of intense euphoria and boosted mental and telepathic abilities. Kessel and its mines were largely controlled by the Galactic Empire, hence the need for smugglers to devise a route to spirit it away from Kessel to black markets all across the galaxy far, far away.​
And that route had them skirting very near a black hole cluster called the Maw, and Han Solo's record-setting sub-12-parsec Kessel Run had him skirting closer to the Maw than any other pilot had ever dared.

At least, that was the story until Disney came along.

And that route had them skirting very near a black hole cluster called the Maw, and Han Solo's record-setting sub-12-parsec Kessel Run had him skirting closer to the Maw than any other pilot had ever dared.

At least, that was the story until Disney came along.
That reminds me, he’s traveling a massive distance but he’s not 1000000 years old when he finishes so he must be FTL even out of hyperspace!!

And that route had them skirting very near a black hole cluster called the Maw, and Han Solo's record-setting sub-12-parsec Kessel Run had him skirting closer to the Maw than any other pilot had ever dared....
What doesn't kill you only makes you that much more of a B a d A s s ...​
1707397589416.png

Last edited:
That reminds me, he’s traveling a massive distance but he’s not 1000000 years old when he finishes so he must be FTL even out of hyperspace!!
In Star Wars, hyperspace travel is not subject to time dilation because it's somewhat similar to wormhole travel. The hyperdrive allows the ship to cross into hyperspace, which, as the name implies, is 4+-dimensional space. The ship then flies to the destination in a higher dimension, allowing it to cross vast distances in a short time while technically still moving at sublight speed.

I know this only makes a modicum of real-life sense as it's a space fantasy, but that's the in-universe explanation.

Also, you've got it backwards. If time dilation was happening, Han Solo would still be young and everyone else would be old.

And we know Han is getting a bit long in the tooth... Heck, Chewie doesn't even have a gray muzzle yet...​

I have no idea what you're talking about. What movie is that? Looks like some dumb fan fiction. 🙃

Also, Wookiees are just long-lived. Chewbacca's canonical age in Episode 4 is 206 years.

In Star Wars, hyperspace travel is not subject to time dilation because it's somewhat similar to wormhole travel. The hyperdrive allows the ship to cross into hyperspace, which, as the name implies, is 4+-dimensional space. The ship then flies to the destination in a higher dimension, allowing it to cross vast distances in a short time while technically still moving at sublight speed.

I know this only makes a modicum of real-life sense as it's a space fantasy, but that's the in-universe explanation.

Also, you've got it backwards. If time dilation was happening, Han Solo would still be young and everyone else would be old.
No I see that he’s not subject to time dilation in hyperspace, I mean that he is traveling faster than light even when they are in “real space”.

No I see that he’s not subject to time dilation in hyperspace, I mean that he is traveling faster than light even when they are in “real space”.
But why? What makes you say that any part of his sub 12 parsec run was in normal space?

This one is based on an Isaac Hannaford drawing.

I fired up the CAD station and made a model starting with (4) pieces of plywood glued to make the body.

I then added the fins and the motor pods, along with a launch lug standoff.

This will be rear eject using 29mm power.

___________________________________________________________________________________________________

And a OpenRocket Simulations

1707449210490.png

It's a magnificent creation/illustration. I am struggling with scale, maybe because it has no obvious windows. You can make a good argument that, similar to the situation with submarines, windows are somewhat superfluous on starships. Anyway, does this carry a pilot and/or passengers, or is it a droid? In any case, how big is this compared to say, a human, or a station wagon?

View attachment 629430

It's a magnificent creation/illustration. I am struggling with scale, maybe because it has no obvious windows. You can make a good argument that, similar to the situation with submarines, windows are somewhat superfluous on starships. Anyway, does this carry a pilot and/or passengers, or is it a droid? In any case, how big is this compared to say, a human, or a station wagon?

Saturn is right behind it, and there's Rhea in the background. Rhea is 1,527 meters in diameter.​
It's larger than the Millennium Falcon, but the scale is similar.​

They make hyperspace very obvious. You know the cool CGI effects and stuff.
And they've never shown footage of the Falcon making the famous run. So I ask again, what makes you think that the hyperspace effect (originally old fashioned opticals) wasn't surrounding the shup the whole way? (Also, Han doesn't say in A New Hope that he made that run, only that the Falcon did.)

Because Parsec is a measurement of distance, which does not exist by definition in a wormhole or other distance warping phenomena.
OK, fair, but it's been long accepted that, in this context, it is effectively used as a measure of time for some reason, or otherwise some indication of how long a trip takes.

Also, what Neil said.

Back