A Sci-Fi Scratch Build: The USS Edsel Ford XF4-NC

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The images of your components look great. The reason I asked is because I’m thinking about buying a 3-D printer for parts and a laser cutter for rings and fins, and I was wondering what CAD software is most suited for rocketry. Any recommendations?

The reason I asked is because I’m thinking about buying a 3-D printer for parts and a laser cutter for rings and fins, and I was wondering what CAD software is most suited for rocketry. Any recommendations?
:questions: I know Inventor will export CAD / CAM... as will Solidworks. Those are the only two I have actual hands on data with.​

Last edited:
I'll second that.
🚀
And ya gotta love how a test which requires little to no technology beyond that required to make string has served so well throughout model rocket history.
Is it just called STRING THEORY? I've heard about that on those smarty pants TV shows. :)

It's been cold, which limits barn time, so slow progress. It's good weather though to update the CAD files. They are "As Built" Rev 06 and post #10 and 11 was updated.

Made a couple of snorkel style air inlets, and the fairings for the lower stabilizers. Used home made balsa plywood since these parts are non-structural and not in harms way. I'll use some CA to harden these pieces.

001.JPG002.JPG003.JPG004.JPG005.JPGgalan-pang-0909ship-concept01-flipped.jpg

Last edited:
Air Inlet Redux

Yeah... didn't like those wimpy air inlets... so I replaced them with a glued up composite of (5) pieces of 1/16" thick balsa. Then sanded them into submission. See how they fit the contour of the BT-300. Have wood glue, will travel.​

001.JPG 002.JPG004.JPG 005.JPG006.JPG 007.JPG

Last edited:
I was installing the last few panels today and thought "Launch Lug, hey, where's the launch lug?"

Well, I installed a couple 3/8" lugs on the lower body , on either side of the nose to clear the chin spoiler.

001.JPG 002.JPG

I was installing the last few panels today and thought "Launch Lug, hey, where's the launch lug?"

Well, I installed a couple 3/8" lugs on the lower body , on either side of the nose to clear the chin spoiler.

Yeah, I meant to do that!

No, seriously, I have always liked dual purpose parts, things that serve a functional purpose AND at least one other functional or cosmetic purpose.

In this case, the paired appearance looks like pew pew guns, although they could be just about anything.

We’ll just say the artist forgot to put them on the original!

Almost as good as @neil_w putting the vent holes into the decal scheme!

Primer, Day 01

The weather is once again wreaking havoc here.​
I wanted to get the 1st coat of primer on the rocket to see how the panelizing looks. Thermometer read 44 F. I ran some hot water into a mug and tossed the can of primer into it, and headed out back to set-up the Workmate. Hurried back inside, grabbed the rocket, the primer, the camera and a paint mask and headed out. Just as I finished the first coat and was take some photo's the flurries started. So I picked up the Workmate & rocket and carried the to the covered breezeway.​
No drips, no runs, no errors. The temp's are now dropping like a rock.... 38 F.​

001.JPG 002.JPG 003.JPG 005.JPG

Fastforward 20 hours.....................................................001.JPG

Last edited:
Back