A Sci-Fi Scratch Build: The USS Edsel Ford XF4-NC

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lakeroadster

When in doubt... build hell-for-stout!
Reaction score
Here's a design by Galan Pang.

galan-pang-0909ship-concept01.jpggalan-pang-0909ship-concept02.jpg
A truly awesome design. It appears to be a VTOL design.​
I made an OpenRocket design starting with a BT-300 body. The fins will likely be a multi piece design using basswood and thicker at the root, tapering to a point at the tip.​

2023-01-24 - USS Edsel Ford - Simulation - 3D Unfinished.jpg

The big nose in the center reminds me of an Edsel... and so it shall be christened the "USS Edsel Ford".​
Next up... CAD Model and Drawings​

Last edited:
Cool, although the first pic looked like an intergalactic pooper scooper for the The Ravenous Bugblatter Beast of Traal*

* A vicious wild animal from the planet of Traal, known for its never-ending hunger and its mind-boggling stupidity. One of the main features of the Beast is that if you can't see it, it assumes it can't see you. Due to this it has been considered one of the least intelligent creatures in the Universe.

Are you going to add all the greeble details to make it more like the illustration, or are you attempting to keep it as "smooth" as possible (given the ungainly shape)? For example, I notice that the lower two fins have rear "extensions" that are not as prominent as the upper fins. And between the upper and lower fins there's some kind of engine pod piece that's blue.

Are you going to add all the greeble details to make it more like the illustration, or are you attempting to keep it as "smooth" as possible (given the ungainly shape)? For example, I notice that the lower two fins have rear "extensions" that are not as prominent as the upper fins. And between the upper and lower fins there's some kind of engine pod piece that's blue.

I'll be adding most of the greeble details to make it more like the illustration. But... likely not adding all those details to the CAD model.

So is this a Smuggler's firefly like ship to escape Reavers the Gov says does not exist?
....."the existence of Reavers is officially denied by the Alliance, the ruling government of humanity in the Firefly franchise, but they are a harsh reality around the outer planets".

Last edited:
Forward Plywood: Cutting, Sanding and Gluing the Cockpit

Glued the 1/4" plywood and cut the 5 forward plywood pieces.​
001.JPG002.JPG

Back