A Sci-Fi Scratch Build - IHSF "Kessel Runner"

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Wings Day 01

I cut the wings and stack sanded them, then started gluing them in place.​
Also worth noting: I did a swing test of the fuselage before adding the wings. I was curious if due to the wedge shape if it would be stable. No nose weight, no motor weight, just the fuselage. It failed miserably.​
001.JPG 002.JPG

Last edited:
Also worth noting: I did a swing test of the fuselage before adding the wings. I was curious if due to the wedge shape if it would be stable. No nose weight, no motor weight, just the fuselage. It failed miserably.​

Since it is all wood of same thickness, the mass is distributed proportionately. A wedge shape is therefore expected to be tail heavy.

Since it is all wood of same thickness, the mass is distributed proportionately. A wedge shape is therefore expected to be tail heavy.
Swing test is done by supporting the rocket by it's cg, which I did. :dontknow:
I was curious due to the wedge shape.​

John,

Wonderful spaceship to model. Really beautiful. I had not seen it before. And your work, as always, is wonderful.

As a completely pointless aside, your tolerance of all the Star Wars discussion in this thread is truly commendable. I really wanted to ask what they think is Han Solo's favorite glue, but I'm worried I might exacerbate some health problems. :)

Last edited:
John,

Wonderful spaceship to model. Really beautiful. I had not seen it before. And your work, as always, is wonderful.

As a completely pointless aside, your tolerance of all the Star Wars discussion in this thread is truly commendable. I really wanted to ask what they think is Hans Solo's favorite glue, but I'm worried I might exacerbate some health problems. :)
Wookiee Glue.

Like Gorilla Glue, but in Star Wars. 🙃

Wookie Glue..... perfect. 👍 Kind of like Old School Horse Glue, except this is made from ground up Wookie's, "retiree's" from the dangerous spice mines of the planet Kessel.

I took another look at the design to try to add some additional stability.

Isaac Hannaford had a lower "snorkle" in his sketch. I'll be adding this and incorporating the launch lug into it. A sandwiched construction such that the launch lug is between to pieces of basswood, with a balsa wood filler. That'll be about 1/2" wide.

2024-02-12 Open Rocket Simulation - 3D Finished.jpg

Last edited:
I like the scoop. It would be awesome if it had windows and was the actual control cabin. Like a warp drive hang glider.

Swing test is done by supporting the rocket by it's cg, which I did. :dontknow:
I was curious due to the wedge shape.​
Hmmm…. By MindSim I would expect a wedge shape built of uniform thickness material of uniform density is highly likely to have a CG behind CP. base drag can only do so much.

there IS a pyramid rocket out there that is obviously wedge shaped, but I think it had a recessed motor so CG was not solely dependent on material thickness. I think it was also more of a saucer.

Options for this bird that I can think of

LOTS of nose weight, which creates a vicious cycle of, “now I need a bigger motor, which means I need more nose weight…..”

Recessed Motor: this lets you use motor for nose weight and given shape, can probably get away with a decent degree of recession without inciting Uncle Krushnic. Problem here is where do you put the chute, and this puppy is gonna need a lot of chute, it’s gonna be heavy.

Tractor motors: you’ve played this card well on priors, not sure it is cosmetically compatible with design…..

Extra Fins: if wood or paper (these seem to be your materials of choice) they are a cosmetic problem. You seem kind of an organic builder, so I think you aren’t going to go the Lexan root.

There is always the flying base. I kind of feel this is “cheatin’”, as using this you can make a true brick fly, but it does double as a display stand and worked well for the Mandalorian. Biggest downside I see for this model is that it displays best (like the picture) horizontal rather than vertical.

https://www.rocketryforum.com/threads/hiding-your-fins-in-plain-sight-240-calories-of-fun.47954/

there IS a pyramid rocket out there that is obviously wedge shaped, but I think it had a recessed motor so CG was not solely dependent on material thickness. I think it was also more of a saucer.
Correct. The Art Applewhite pyramid has the motor recessed a good bit towards the nose, and yes, it basically behaves like a saucer.

Hmmm…. By MindSim I would expect a wedge shape built of uniform thickness material of uniform density is highly likely to have a CG behind CP. base drag can only do so much.

Options for this bird that I can think of

LOTS of nose weight, which creates a vicious cycle of, “now I need a bigger motor, which means I need more nose weight…..”

Recessed Motor: this lets you use motor for nose weight and given shape, can probably get away with a decent degree of recession without inciting Uncle Krushnic. Problem here is where do you put the chute, and this puppy is gonna need a lot of chute, it’s gonna be heavy.

Tractor motors: you’ve played this card well on priors, not sure it is cosmetically compatible with design…..

Extra Fins: if wood or paper (these seem to be your materials of choice) they are a cosmetic problem. You seem kind of an organic builder, so I think you aren’t going to go the Lexan root.

There is always the flying base. I kind of feel this is “cheatin’”, as using this you can make a true brick fly, but it does double as a display stand and worked well for the Mandalorian. Biggest downside I see for this model is that it displays best (like the picture) horizontal rather than vertical.

https://www.rocketryforum.com/threads/hiding-your-fins-in-plain-sight-240-calories-of-fun.47954/
I wouldn't worry. And keep in mind, that's me, the forum's leading borrower of trouble, not worrying. Look at the OR screen grab in post #71. Just under 1 caliber static margin in a rather short rocket (L to W is about 5:1). I'm less comfortable relying on the base drag hack than John, but he certainly has a good track record where using it is concerned. The G80 shown in the screen shot looks like plenty of motor; if more motor needed to lift more nose weight? It's already a 29 mm MMT, so worse come to worst it'll need an L1 cert* and there are plenty of options. The G80 weighs 123 g, and a G125 weighs only 2 g more; an H169 weighs 202 g.

It'll be fine.

* Are certified, John? I doubt you'll need to be for this one, but if you keep building the way you do, you may well need a high thrust H motor sooner or later.

Last edited:
* Are certified, John?
@lakeroadster should be L1 at least because what feels like a year ago, he built a rocket specifically for L1, called "Level 1", which had a Gemeni/Mercury spacecraft feel to it that he finished with a distressed look with an undercoat and then sanded a bit to make it look like light corrosion. Assuming this rocket flew and deployed properly, He's L1.

* Are certified, John? I doubt you'll need to be for this one, but if you keep building the way you do, you may well need a high thrust H motor sooner or later.

Certified.... Well, I've got the rocket, as previously discussed by @techrat. I'm just waiting for a design that needs it, to justify the certification.​
And kudos to you Sir for checking out the OpenRocket simulation for the IHSF Kessel Runner. It is slated to have approximately 6 ounces of nose weight and I'll do a swing test once the build gets to that point.​
__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
Level One My L1 bird in waiting...

001.JPG001.JPG002.JPG003.JPG____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________​

Here's the current "As-Built" simulation for the IHSF Kessel Runner.

2024-02-12 Open Rocket Simulation - 3D Finished.jpg

Last edited:
Snorkel Build Day 01 and Nose Weight

The snorkel build is pretty straight forward. I used (2) BT-3's.​

UHSF Kessel Runner Drawing Sheet 6 of 6 Rev 01.jpg 001.JPG002.JPG 003.JPG003A.JPG
____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________​

For nose weight I went ahead and added a hex nut to the 3/4-10 threaded rod and then attached the screw eye to the side of it. Then pushed it down into the fuselage, and glued it into place. This will take a while to dry. Learned that on my Razorback.​
I had planned on 6 ounces of nose weight. The extra 1.6 ounces is good insurance, and only changes the apogee by a small amount.​

004.JPG 005.JPG006.JPG
____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
Razorback

001.JPG 002.JPG003.JPG

Last edited:
Snorkel Build Day 02

Cut the snorkel out of the laminated construction, sanded it to shape and began gluing it to the fuselage.​
Looks like the barrel of a double shot Deringer...... pew ... pew ...​
001.JPG002.JPG003.JPG004.JPG005.JPG

Last edited:
200.gif

Preliminary Swing Test

I took the rocket out and did a preliminary swing test. No motor or recovery items, just the raw wooden rocket with nose weight. Rock solid stability... which gives me the confidence to keep on building.

Swing Test 02.png

Back