A Sci-Fi Scratch Build - IHSF "Kessel Runner"

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Belt and Suspenders

I drilled thru the body at the screw eye location and glued in a 3/8" dowel. Once the glue dries I'll cut it and sand it flush with the outside surfaces.​
This should pretty much guarantee a positive anchor for the recovery system.​
001.JPG 001A.JPG002.JPG 003.JPG

Last edited:
CWF and Sand, Day 01

The Titebond Quick and Thick finally dried enough to sand (3 days) ... or at least I thought so. When I sanded it became gooey. So I took a hobby knife and profiled it. I'll cover it all with CWF and sand it down again.​
The dowels were also covered with CWF and then sanded down.​
I'm planning on doing some greeble work on this rocket, so I want the surfaces nice and flat. Still need to add motor pods and vertical stabilizers.​
001.JPG 002.JPG003.JPG 004.JPG

CWF and Sand, Day 01

The Titebond Quick and Thick finally dried enough to sand (3 days) ... or at least I thought so. When I sanded it became gooey. So I took a hobby knife and profiled it. I'll cover it all with CWF and sand it down again.​
The dowels were also covered with CWF and then sanded down.​
I'm planning on doing some greeble work on this rocket, so I want the surfaces nice and flat. Still need to add motor pods and vertical stabilizers.​
On the good side, if it lands on a water planet, ir should float nicely!

Rear Bulkhead and Internal Ejection Tube

I made a template for the rear bulkhead and then cut it from 1/4" plywood. I then built the Internal Ejection Tube from BT-50, C-50 and BT-55 tubing, along with a couple of 1/8" basswood supports. This sub-assy is glued into the fuselage and sits upon the nose ballast.​
The 29mm tube transfers the thrust during motor burn.​
The Internal Ejection Tube will guide the ejection spool backwards when the motor ejection fires. Once the bulkhead clears the rear of the body, the spool is in the wind and the parachute deploys.​
You'll notice the bulkhead is a bit smaller than the fuselage. That's to accommodate paint once it's applied to the fuselage and the spool. A tight fit isn't essential, and a slip fit is the goal.​

002.JPG 003.JPG009.JPG 010.JPG005.JPG 006.JPG

Last edited:
I don’t see a forward centering ring or bulkhead on the motor mount/rear eject pop pod. Also, given the progressively increasing internal and external diameter of the model (as opposed to the usually constant diameter of a circular cross sectional diameter and even the NewWay Square rockets) not sure if one would provide complete protection in any case,

Is there a concern that “blow-back” from the ejection charge will singe your recovery device?

I’ve always wondered whether most of the PARTICULATES from ejection charges tend to restrict themselves to straight trajectories (I.e., they don’t like to go around corners and REALLY don’t like to do a 180. I assume this is PART of why baffles or rockets like the TRIDENT work, since the hot gas WILL go from high to low pressure regardless (conceding that baffles, etc, DO force them to take a longer route.)

Most of the burns I have seen on my chutes and some of my balsa Helis and AirBrakes (some of which are “tubeless”, with no internal motor mount at all) seem likely to be particulate in source. I.e., localized burn marks rather than a complete or segmental melted chute as would be seen with simple hot gas. @Ronz Rocketz and @kuririn , you two have a whole lot of flights over the past few years, Ron I think you’ve mentioned a few singed chutes, do you guys think it’s mainly particles, hot air, or both?

So a forward centering ring (or in your case, Diamond or other geometric shape) may be superfluous in any case.

I DID try a rear eject with a piston in the nose which went into the motor mount tube, to reduce the amount of volume needed to pressurize for ejection. Conceptually I think it was a good idea. In practice, there is such an effect of “too much of a good thing.” The D12-3 motor in that very confined space blew the motor (DESPITE THE MOTOR HOOK!) right out the back, leaving the pod in place. The result wasn’t pretty.

I don’t see a forward centering ring or bulkhead on the motor mount/rear eject pop pod. Also, given the progressively increasing internal and external diameter of the model (as opposed to the usually constant diameter of a circular cross sectional diameter and even the NewWay Square rockets) not sure if one would provide complete protection in any case,

Is there a concern that “blow-back” from the ejection charge will singe your recovery device?

I’ve always wondered whether most of the PARTICULATES from ejection charges tend to restrict themselves to straight trajectories (I.e., they don’t like to go around corners and REALLY don’t like to do a 180. I assume this is PART of why baffles or rockets like the TRIDENT work, since the hot gas WILL go from high to low pressure regardless (conceding that baffles, etc, DO force them to take a longer route.)

Most of the burns I have seen on my chutes and some of my balsa Helis and AirBrakes (some of which are “tubeless”, with no internal motor mount at all) seem likely to be particulate in source. I.e., localized burn marks rather than a complete or segmental melted chute as would be seen with simple hot gas. @Ronz Rocketz and @kuririn , you two have a whole lot of flights over the past few years, Ron I think you’ve mentioned a few singed chutes, do you guys think it’s mainly particles, hot air, or both?

So a forward centering ring (or in your case, Diamond or other geometric shape) may be superfluous in any case.

I DID try a rear eject with a piston in the nose which went into the motor mount tube, to reduce the amount of volume needed to pressurize for ejection. Conceptually I think it was a good idea. In practice, there is such an effect of “too much of a good thing.” The D12-3 motor in that very confined space blew the motor (DESPITE THE MOTOR HOOK!) right out the back, leaving the pod in place. The result wasn’t pretty.

Nomex blanket to protect the chute. Might not even need to wrap the parachute around the tube... their is quite a bit of space in the fuselage.​
An aluminum bolt on top hat style motor cap for retention.​
003.JPG

The real truth is that @lakeroadster loves to sand so much, the ship is going to be half the weight when he's done with it.
Sanding sucks... :wavingsanta:
In reality that's one reason I'm using plywood: cut the parts, take a quick run with the belt sander, and it's pretty much done. And rounding over the edges of the fins is easy too with my router table.​

Back