Anyone going to see the Orion Test Flight?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Getting up to try one more time! We have a flight back tonight and a college to visit so if it's scrubbed today that's it.

T-40 seconds... all is go...

T-25

T-10

Liftoff.... at dawn...

T+40... looking good... switched to live onboard video at T+60...

OMG I missed it... watching until T -10 and my stream started buffering!!!! Didn't get it back till 1:40 in!!!

T+1.22... max q... T-1.24... supersonic...T+2.00 minutes...

T+2.22... all looks good. T+2.35... still good... 2.43 half LO weight...

T+3 minutes... mach 5... T+3.30... T+3.40 partial thrust in outboards...
MECO in boosters and good sep...

core powering up at 4:10...

1 minute remaining on first stage... 4:46 in... good pressure in core booster. T+5 minutes... still good.

5:20 partial thrust command for core... MECO

stage sep...

second stage nozzle deploying, second stage ignition...

Orion SM Panel jettison successful, LAS jettison on Orion...

First two critical milestones accomplished... T+7:00
OL JR :)

Reports indicate good Orion guidance... coming up on 8.00... 900 miles downrange... 142 miles altitude...

Orion working perfectly-- heading due east into a 24 degree orbit... upper stage burn continues... 14,000 mph, trajectory flattening... burn continues on upper stage for 11.5 minutes from ignition... SECO 1 will occur at that point. Great view from ORion on NASA TV...

Orion at 15,000 mph... nearing orbital insertion velocity... still good...

10.5 minutes into flight... camera looking out the window at the S. Atlantic... 155 miles high, upper stage still thrusting on first burn... 6.45 minutes left in first burn... 560X120 mile orbit is target...

Guidance and nav working perfectly... liftoff at 7:05 am EST... coming up on T+12 minutes... 1200 miles from CCAFS

Live streaming basically sucked.
https://www.nasa.gov/multimedia/nasatv/index.html

The second the engines ignited, it went onto buffer mode, them I lost transmission for the next six minutes.
I have a brand new computer and good internet, so I don't think it is on my end.
Did this happen to any of you?

Same thing for me. Live stream totally sucked.

Live streaming basically sucked.
https://www.nasa.gov/multimedia/nasatv/index.html

The second the engines ignited, it went onto buffer mode, them I lost transmission for the next six minutes.
I have a brand new computer and good internet, so I don't think it is on my end.
Did this happen to any of you?

Happened to me too. Good stream until T-10 seconds and it buffered until 2min into the flight.

SECO 1 in 6 minutes... (Upper stage engine cutoff) second burn of 4:45 in an hour... second burn to boost Orion to 1500 mile apogee orbit...

13.5 minutes into flight... 16,000 mph. 2100 miles downrange from CCAFS...

Two orbits... first elliptical, second highly elliptical... maximum apogee at 3600 miles... four hour 24 minute flight duration expected... two passes through the Van Allen Radiation Belts...

Great view out the window... 15:20 into the flight... over the mid-Atlantic...

Talking about the tracking stations in South Africa, Antigua, Diego Garcia, etc... in addition to TDRSS... continuing to climb... 1 minute to SECO 1...

Last edited:
SECO 1... engine shutdown... Orion in orbit... 101.5 n. mi altitude...

18 minutes into flight... 26,210 ft/sec velocity...

FIDO reporting Orion right on the marks... perfect insertion into first orbit... orbiting at 554X115 mile orbit... approaching west coast of Africa... similar to early shuttle mission orbit (and Apollo, Gemini, and Mercury...

SECO 1... engine shutdown... Orion in orbit... 101.5 n. mi altitude...

18 minutes into flight... 26,210 ft/sec velocity...

FIDO reporting Orion right on the marks... perfect insertion into first orbit... orbiting at 554X115 mile orbit... approaching west coast of Africa... similar to early shuttle mission orbit (and Apollo, Gemini, and Mercury...

Are you on NASA TV - live streaming?

Second stage second burn in about an hour and a half... Push Orion to 3600 miles apogee... 23 minutes into flight...

Launch replays on NASA TV...

Are you on NASA TV - live streaming?

NASA TV on DirecTV... I prefer it on TV over streaming... Plus I can type as I watch and post... :)

LOTS of launch replays on NASA TV... every camera view...

Last edited:
More NASA TV PAO chat... now she says its a 4.5 hour flight... Mission Control vid now...

Wow the new MOCR looks like an office... bit disconcerting... where's all the steel consoles... it's all oblong kidney shaped wood tables and bigscreen monitors?? Altitude 300 nautical miles... 42.20 minutes into flight...

Orion in BBQ roll to ensure even heating...

324 nautical miles at 45 minutes in...

Last edited:
545X120 statute mile orbit currently approaching western Australia... thrusters being primed and checked out prior to high speed entry...

Second stage reignition in 58 minutes for a four minute forty second burn to climb to peak altitude of 3630 miles apogee... reentry 600 statute miles west of Baja California...

Later! OL JR

Second stage second burn successful... four minute forty second burn, Orion on target for a 3630 nautical mile apogee-- beginning to transit the Van Allen Radiation Belts on its first pass right now...

Everything pretty much on target...downloaded video from the onboard cameras... currently at an altitude of 780 nautical miles...

Great views of Earth... neat to see the curvature of the Earth through the windows at the first orbit apogee, and then see it flatten out as it neared perigee and the second burn of the upper stage. Now it's curved sharply again... they said we should be able to see the full disk of the Earth out the window at apogee at 9:05 central time...

Later! OL JR: )

And to think... the entire Orion flight will go no higher than six inches from the surface of your typical 12 inch high school classroom globe... (3600 miles and the scale of a 12 inch globe is 660 miles per inch).

At this same scale, the Apollo lunar missions flew 31 feet away from that same high school globe, to a softball-size moon about four inches in diameter...

Continuing the analogy, the highest the shuttle ever flew was about a HALF INCH or so above that same globe... 384 statute miles on the Hubble deployment flight... and it took EVERY BIT OF POWER that the shuttle had to reach that altitude and conduct its mission and safely return... Most shuttle missions were actually much lower in altitude than that...

Later! OL JR :)

At this same scale, Mars would be a roughly six-inch ball, 0.86 miles away at the closest... (4545 feet away).

Live video from the Ikhana drone 200 miles off Baja on its way from NASA Armstrong to the recovery area... beautiful dawn over the ocean off California... 2 hours 23 minutes into the 4.5 hour mission... Orion coasting to apogee...

Last edited:
Vid files of LAS jettison from the download dump of the onboard engineering cams to NASA Mission Control awhile back... cool but short vid...

Oh wow... gorgeous view out the window of Earth... at 3053 miles above earth over the southern Indian Ocean...

Last edited:
Back