Remote Car buying

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BABAR

Builds Rockets for NASA
TRF Supporter
Reaction score
My wife has a thing for a certain luxury car, no way we can swing it new, and there are not a lot of used ones on the market in Washington state.

looking at some of the online sites, AutoTrader seems to have best selection if you go nationwide.

I have set my filters for the make and model, all wheel drive (this car is only rear wheel or all wheel drive, and the place we are moving too likely has some icy winters), carfax, no accidents.

nothing is within reasonable driving distance, seems like East Coast is where the action if (a lot in Florida.)

was thinking.

pick the car and get the price including all fees and shipping (or using my own shipper.)

pick a local mechanic (or someone recommended by a forum member in area, if any) and have them test drive it (putting a lot of faith the person is trustworthy, but I guess you do that with any mechanic. I don’t know anyone local anymore than I would in Florida, so online reviews mean a lot.)

having it shipped to Washington.

my wife is pretty set on this particular car and model, I’m hoping something will pop up locally but it’s a dim hope.

any good or bad experiences out there?

@cwbullet , have you finally found your rocket hauler?

Also any recommended car shipping companies for continental U.S. (All respects to the Aussies, but not sure they can help on this one ;) )

Here's the catch. If you choose not to buy the car for any reason, you are still responsible for all shipping charges for bringing it to you and sending the vehicle back which will typically cost you a few thousand easily.

I don't know that the seller would send you the car for inspection before you paid for it. I think your best bet would be to fly to where the car is and take it to that's brand of cars dealer for a muti point inspection. Then either drive it home or ship it. I looked at shipping a truck once and I don't think is was too much.
edit. I just remembered that we bought a car over the phone that I found online from a dealer in Boise for my wife's mother. She went to look at it and took a couple of her other daughters with her. She liked it and we paid for it.

Are there any at Carmax, that you could have shipped to you?

@cwbullet , have you finally found your rocket hauler?

No. I test drive a few. I test drove a Tesla. Yes, a Tesla. Nice car. It would not work well with my appartment during the week. I would have to charge at the grocery store and install a charge at my house.

I plan to test drive a Prius Prime. I know what they say about a prius and it looks like a clown car when I get our of one, but 54 mpg is nice.

I really do not like paying 50K for a car so I might have to go used.

Would a Prius fit your rockets?

“However, the Prius V excels all other versions in terms of cargo capacity. You will get 40 cubic feet of cargo space when the rear seats are pushed forward.

It will extend to a whopping 67.3 cubic feet – almost similar to some SUVs – when you drop the entire rear row.”

https://carfromjapan.com/article/car-comparison/difference-between-prius-models/
1702659252885.jpeg

you can open the glove compartment if the nose cone is a few inches too long!

Last edited:
A guy in our club brings his Skinwalker to the field in a Honda Civic.

Here's the catch. If you choose not to buy the car for any reason, you are still responsible for all shipping charges for bringing it to you and sending the vehicle back which will typically cost you a few thousand easily.
Understood. Which is why i was looking at having a ”hopefully” independent and “hopefully” reliable mechanic do a test drive at point of origin. Figured they would also comment on the looks and smell of the car. Also hopefully honest, would be quite easy for a shady dealer to slip the mechanic a few hundred bucks, save him the time and trouble of actually driving the car, and send me a glowing report.

I don't know that the seller would send you the car for inspection before you paid for it. I think your best bet would be to fly to where the car is and take it to that's brand of cars dealer for a muti point inspection. Then either drive it home or ship it. I looked at shipping a truck once and I don't think is was too much.
edit. I just remembered that we bought a car over the phone that I found online from a dealer in Boise for my wife's mother. She went to look at it and took a couple of her other daughters with her. She liked it and we paid for it.
Considered that. likely adds a $1000 or more to price (which may be money well spent if it avoids a lemon. Which may indeed be money well spent if it an avoids an unsuspected clunker. (Saddest though oblique reference was “Golden Dancer” in “inherit the wind”.). Also learned that lemon laws seem only to apply to the vehicle MANUFACTURERS, while vehicle is still under warranty. So doesn’t apply to dealers and most of the vehicles i am looking at are put of warranty (aside from Hyundai, most bumper to bumper warranties go ”poof” 4 to 5 years once driven off the lot. considering. As for driving home, between 2k to 3k distance costs in gas, meal, and hotels, not to mention time (although might be a fun trip) add another $2K.
Are there any at Carmax, that you could have shipped to you?
Looked at it, again there are the shipping fees, and not a huge selection of what she wants. At least they have I think a short trial period during which you CAN I think return the car and you were only out the ONE-Way Shipping cost.

My brother just bought a car in Michigan and it’s being shipped to Phoenix.
Enclosed, insured, picked up within 24 hours.
$2400. that is probably a max price.
Amphicar!
helpful.

I’m guessing your brother is a collector, as aside from Tucson and Las Vegas, Phoenix is one of the last places I would think a land/water amphibious vehicle would be useful.

Even if it's not optioned the way you want, see if there is one relatively close by that you can drive to at least make sure you like the overall look and feel of the car. There are cars I will never own just because I don't like the way they feel on the road (e.g. don't like the way the transmission shifts, don't like the feel of the suspension, etc.). If she decides she likes the way they feel, then move forward.

A new forum member (but old hand at rockets of many sizes), @Jim P. carries many rockets and, when running launches at Sixty Acres, much GSE, in a Prius. He's been doing it for years.

But this probably belongs in Chuck's car-buying thread more than it does here. :)
No joke Jim can pack a Prius full of rockets....😀

Would a Prius fit your rockets?

“However, the Prius V excels all other versions in terms of cargo capacity. You will get 40 cubic feet of cargo space when the rear seats are pushed forward.

It will extend to a whopping 67.3 cubic feet – almost similar to some SUVs – when you drop the entire rear row.”

https://carfromjapan.com/article/car-comparison/difference-between-prius-models/
View attachment 620068

you can open the glove compartment if the nose cone is a few inches too long!
That looks good, but what are the internal payload, and max recommended towing weights?

Explorers are nice, but do not exactly sip gas.
I get 18mpg combined and 22 on the highway. Our model is an ST. It is their performance model. It has a twin turbos and 400hp. Sport tuned suspension and all the other goodies. It is very quick. I'd race just about anybody. And I'm a hot rod. I like to be the first one across the intersection when the light turns green. It's rock solid at 100mph. I can go from 40 to 60 when I'm even with the car I'm passing. Almost got a ticket for that once. But the cop let me go.

We're purchased a Toyota 4runner and a Honda pilot from carvana in the last 8 months. The experience was fantastic! When we were shopping for the pilot we went to several dealers and got the usual run around "what do you want your monthly payment to be?, let me get my manager...". No you don't understand, what's the final price including tax. There will be no monthly payment.... Carvana was a dream and very competitively priced. The 4runner we got back in April and never went to a dealer. Had it delivered.

We're purchased a Toyota 4runner and a Honda pilot from carvana
Beware of the online sales companies. I've seen reports on television of people who bought the vehicle and a year later they haven't gotten the paperwork to allow them to get license plates and actually drive the car. Some states have threatened the sellers with revoking their state dealers licenses because of complaints like this. I don't know if this applies specifically to Carvana or to another company.

I get 18mpg combined and 22 on the highway. Our model is an ST. It is their performance model. It has a twin turbos and 400hp. Sport tuned suspension and all the other goodies. It is very quick. I'd race just about anybody. And I'm a hot rod. I like to be the first one across the intersection when the light turns green. It's rock solid at 100mph. I can go from 40 to 60 when I'm even with the car I'm passing. Almost got a ticket for that once. But the cop let me go.

My Tundra gets 15-16 combined and 17-19 on the Highway; in a 5.7 liter 347 ci engine with 4 over head computer controlled cams that when you press the HAUL button can Haul and though you back in the seat like my Mustang could . It has 10 Tow GVW haul the largest in the 1500 truck class which is why I bought it.

I can't run a RV or trailer rig anymore but I still like my truck.

Back