Shipping rockets for LDRS?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Saint_Tiki

Reaction score
Hello. Was thinking about attending LDRS this year. However, it’s about a 12-13hr drive which I’m not interested in. I know lots of people drive from further but that’s too far for me in a day and I can’t justify it at two days driving each way. I can fly to Milwaukee very easily and rent a car. But that makes the logistics of bringing my stuff pretty challenging.

So any advice for shipping rockets? What will I be able to purchase on site? Will I be able to purchase motors, ematches, purchase/borrow some BP out there?

I don’t have anything exceptionally large, just a couple 3” rockets and some mid power stuff so I shouldn’t need a very large box. What’s the best way to pack this, best company, best packing materials? Where would I send it, my hotel?

Thanks for any wisdom from those who’ve done this before.

Contact the hotel your reservations are at - a lot of them will let you ship stuff for them to hold until you arrive. Al Bychek used to do that when he'd travel to Argonia.

As for the other items, I know vendors who travel with a nice motor/ematch collection will be there. CSRocketry is someone I know also sells black powder. Check with vendors on what you're looking for.

Hello. Was thinking about attending LDRS this year. However, it’s about a 12-13hr drive which I’m not interested in. I know lots of people drive from further but that’s too far for me in a day and I can’t justify it at two days driving each way. I can fly to Milwaukee very easily and rent a car. But that makes the logistics of bringing my stuff pretty challenging.

So any advice for shipping rockets? What will I be able to purchase on site? Will I be able to purchase motors, ematches, purchase/borrow some BP out there?

I don’t have anything exceptionally large, just a couple 3” rockets and some mid power stuff so I shouldn’t need a very large box. What’s the best way to pack this, best company, best packing materials? Where would I send it, my hotel?

Contact Wildman and have him bring you a small kit. You can build it in half a day , paint it in the afternoon, then fly it the rest of the event. Then if you as Tim very nicely, im sure he would ship your rocket home to you as well.

To minimize possibility of damage from workers who will toss the box about during shipping, the box should be at least 4" larger in all dimensions than the item inside. I save packing material from other purchases; the 'corner' pieces of styrofoam or rigid cardboard from a large appliance or similar are great for the inside corners of the box, keeping it from collapsing under load. After the rocket and corner pieces are in place I'd fill the remaining space with packing peanuts, air pillows, or random chunks of styrofoam. I mistrust newspapers and plastic bags as fill.

UHaul sells boxes in all sorts of sizes. Check 'em out.

Probably would not work in today's crazy world.

My rockets went on the same plane I was on.

This was for an LDRS 10 at Black Rock.

Today you could ship to a UPS store at your destination and pick the package up there.

Roy

Attachments

• img20200121_09544039.jpg
    img20200121_09544039.jpg
    199.1 KB · Views: 0

Well I happen to reside about 10 miles from MKE, and since you plan on renting your own vehicle for the event, I might able to help you out. Converse/PM me your contact info...

Best,

Consider getting a hard case that is normally used to ship/travel with golf clubs and use it as one of your checked bags. Depends on your fin design, of course.
I thought about checked bags but then I heard TSA doesn’t like rocket residue. Rather not have them bin my whole rocket.

Probably would not work in today's crazy world.

My rockets went on the same plane I was on.

This was for an LDRS 10 at Black Rock.

Today you could ship to a UPS store at your destination and pick the package up there.

Roy

Last Jean Dry Lake I went to I shipped to FedEx hold for delivery as I flew into Vegas to drive out to Jean Dry lake.

I thought about checked bags but then I heard TSA doesn’t like rocket residue. Rather not have them bin my whole rocket.

Way back in the day say 2007? They held up my checked bag full of video transmitters, wires and connections for the video I was doing out at Airfest on my return trip back. 2 weeks later it showed up on my door step just dumped there.

Back