Vacation thoughts..

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Honestly, this makes me kind of sad. I feel like school should be open and all the kids should go outside if the weather's clear and be provided with eclipse glasses. The cheesy paper ones aren't that expensive in bulk.
But why can't they do that at home? I hope to make this a 4 generation family event!

In theory you could. Maybe there were enough planned absences that day that the schools just decided not to open.
Well, I'm probably the exception, but I have optical grade mylar for solar viewing already. I made a lens cover for my camera from it. I just talked to my daughter and she's on board. I actually was looking on the forums here because I know someone here linked to reliable American suppliers of eclipse viewing glasses - apparently not this thread, but I'll find 'em. Then the kids can go back to school and show cool pictures and explain how the moon blocked the sun and all that good stuff. Their school won't be under the totality path.

Well, I'm probably the exception, but I have optical grade mylar for solar viewing already. I made a lens cover for my camera from it. I just talked to my daughter and she's on board. I actually was looking on the forums here because I know someone here linked to reliable American suppliers of eclipse viewing glasses - apparently not this thread, but I'll find 'em. Then the kids can go back to school and show cool pictures and explain how the moon blocked the sun and all that good stuff. Their school won't be under the totality path.
If the school's not in the path of totality, then that's a different matter entirely. Sure, call it a once-in-a-lifetime-celestial-event day (definitely not a snow day!).

Honestly, this makes me kind of sad. I feel like school should be open and all the kids should go outside if the weather's clear and be provided with eclipse glasses. The cheesy paper ones aren't that expensive in bulk.
It's feel it's entirely a "liability thing". Too hard for a few 10's of teachers to watch 100's of kids. They don't want to be responsible for the kid that 1/2 way thru takes off the glasses, or looks around them. Then ends up with permanent eye damage.

It's feel it's entirely a "liability thing". Too hard for a few 10's of teachers to watch 100's of kids. They don't want to be responsible for the kid that 1/2 way thru takes off the glasses, or looks around them. Then ends up with permanent eye damage.
Eh, I don't know about that. Teachers already supervise 20-30 students, including lab classes in middle and high school with a risk of eye damage. They have means of dealing with the liability as well.

Eh, I don't know about that. Teachers already supervise 20-30 students, including lab classes in middle and high school with a risk of eye damage. They have means of dealing with the liability as well.
I just figure that there is no way you're going to keep kids' attention with that process going on outside. Plus the timing of totality is at the end of the school day, or in the transit time, which would be a real bummer. "Did you see the eclispe?" "Well, I was on the school bus for the best part..."
I could see organized acivities at the school (telescopes with projectors, perhaps, among others) for the community, but they aren't going to get a full day of classes in anyway. So far we haven't taken many snow days (only 1 around here) so it's be like a snow day...

If you want to go fishing come to MN. 10,000 lakes you know. Battle Lake area, Molly Stark, you can out to the bottom and just pick the fish out and drop a line. Best pan fishing in the state. Nuttin better than a plate full of Sunny fillets.

Latest posts

Back