Attending a launch at Kennedy - any pro tips?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Blast it Tom!

Well-Known Dweeb
TRF Supporter
Reaction score
Well, folks, that's it. I need to go to Florida for other reasons and the plan was to take my 3 sons (no, I'm not Fred McMurray...) and take them on a good tour of KSC - none of the have ever been there. Geeze. What kind of parent have I been?! :(

But on Jan. 8, if it goes, the ULA Vulcan will launch from pad 41 at KSC. Since it will be carrying a Pittsburgh-built Lunar robotic lander, I thought maybe we could see that.

On the other hand, a launch day is probably a terrible day to visit KSC for its own sake - everything would be mobbed, I'd imagine. And I've wanted the guys to see why their father is such a nut about this stuff... you stand under a Saturn V and cannot help but be awed, and the way they did the Space Shuttle display is really cool.

So for anyone who happens upon this thread and has been there, especially for a launch, I'd appreciate any thoughts or tips. My plan was to take them on the $107 tour... unless the prices have changed in the last couple of weeks...

Last edited:
There are a limited number of tickets usually available to see launches from the Saturn V center. Or you can watch them from the visitor center itself, but there's no direct view of the pads. See https://www.launchphotography.com/Launch_Viewing_Guide.html for a complete rundown of all the local viewing spots.

Don't miss the Atlantis exhibit if you care at all about the shuttle.

BTW, the Vulcan launch is at 2:18 AM local time so that's going to be a logistical challenge unless you are really committed. And a slip would not surprise me.

There are a limited number of tickets usually available to see launches from the Saturn V center. Or you can watch them from the visitor center itself, but there's no direct view of the pads. See https://www.launchphotography.com/Launch_Viewing_Guide.html for a complete rundown of all the local viewing spots.

Don't miss the Atlantis exhibit if you care at all about the shuttle.
Thanks, Mike! Yes, I've seen the Atlantis exhibit, the way they lead you into that and through the screen to the Atlantis is top-notch, I want my sons to see it! I'll check out that site... this thing is launching with about 2 million lbs of thrust, that ought to be quite a sight!

From that site: "For off-hours/night launches, when no tickets are being sold by the Visitor Complex and Playalinda Beach is closed, the best options for Atlas V launches are Port Canaveral on Route 528, or on the river in Titusville, both at 13 miles distance." Will apply to Vulcan as well.

From that site: "For off-hours/night launches, when no tickets are being sold by the Visitor Complex and Playalinda Beach is closed, the best options for Atlas V launches are Port Canaveral on Route 528, or on the river in Titusville, both at 13 miles distance." Will apply to Vulcan as well.
Oh, great good glory... 2:18 AM?!?! Glad I finally saw that picky detail! The guys would be up for it, though... a night launch would be even more spectacular!

My wife and I went to see Discovery in October (scrubbed) and the final launch in February. For those launches, the bus stuff was an all day affair. If allowed, bring back packs with water and snacks, as most of the time was spent waiting.

After the shuttle launch, they wanted us back on the bus in minutes and then sat for hours. It was kind-of like watching a great concert or race. . . once the event is over, expect to sit a bunch.

The only other recommendation I would have based on advise I got and appreciated after the fact is to watch the launch with your own eyes, not through a camera etc. I clipped an 808 keychain camera to my hat, had a Nikon D550 (I think, don't remember) with a borrowed VR lens (as I couldn't afford my own) on a tripod. When the launch started, I watched with my eyes, moved the tripod how I thought it should be moved and let my hat-cam follow the launch. The only perfect view was with my eyes, the rest were just well captured memories that let me re-live what I saw. This all happened before the selfie thing and iPhones were common. My #1 piece of advise is to watch with your own eyes.

Hope it is a great event. I booked 10 days in an RV to watch it in October and after the scrub that would be long-term, we bailed out and came home so I could keep vacation days to try again. That would be my only other piece of advice. . . assume scrubs and if there is a long scrub, head home and try again later.

Obviously, any and all tours are awesome. The astronaut museum is way better than the advertising. Well worth the price of admission, IMO. But you absolutely have to see the Saturn 5. Both the Nikon and Cannon cameras my wife and I had shut down due to temperature, not battery or space. Not likely to be an issue today, but we took a lot of pictures. . .

Have a great trip!!!!

Thanks, Sandy! I agree about watching with your own eyes! Fortunately, I have a tripod and a camera with a display that will allow me to watch while still making sure that the rocket stays in frame... Boy, a night flight you'd almost want a second camera set on time exposure!

They have, as I understand, a pretty short launch window. And I have a pretty short stay window, a coupe of days at most. So if 1/8.24 at 2:18 AM doesn't fly, we've likely missed it.

I've seen a Saturn V twice; once at KSC and once at Houston. It never gets old. I want my sons to see it.

ETA: Much thanks, Carl, (@cvanc)! I'll have me a watch here!

Also, although I am far from a pro, remember that the cool bus tours of the old launch sites (Gemini, Apollo, Apollo 1 memorial, etc.) will not run if there's an active launch.

If they are running it again (I think it was closed due to covid for a while) do the Early Space Tour which takes you around various block-houses and launch sites on Cape Canaveral. It has such amazing history and is a bit of a buzz to be walking where the greats of rocket history, like Wernher von Braun, spent their time. Looking back on it, it was probably the best part of my time spent at KSC.

Well, folks, that's it. I need to go to Florida for other reasons and the plan was to take my 3 sons (no, I'm not Fred McMurray...) and take them on a goood topur of KSC - none of the have ever been there. Geeze. What kind of parent have I been?! :(

But on Jan. 8, if it goes, the UL Vulcan will launch from pad 41 at KSC. Since it will be carrying a Pittsburgh-built Lunar robotic lander, I thought maybe we could see that.

On the other hand, a launch day is probably a terrible day to visit KSC for its own sake - everything would be mobbed, I'd imagine. And I've wanted the guys to see why their father is such a nut about this stuff... you stand under a Saturn V and cannot help but be awed, and the way they did the Space Shuttle display is really cool.

So for anyone who happens upon this thread and has been there, especially for a launch, I'd appreciate any thoughts or tips. My plan was to take them on the $107 tour... unless the prices have changed in the last couple of weeks...
My wife wanted to visit a friend in Florida, so we arranged it to coincide with the launch of STS-135, the last flight of the space shuttle Atlantis. The mission was scrubbed shortly before the launch time, go figure! But the KSC was a cool tour, and we got to see an in person talk with one of the previous shuttle astronauts. Yes, it was PACKED, I don't know if they draw that kind of crowds now though. They had a limit on the number of applications for the launch, so if I had any advice, it would be to sign up as soon as possible on NASA's website. And as I recall, the fee is non-refundable. I think that would be an awesome trip for your boys!

My wife wanted to visit a friend in Florida, so we arranged it to coincide with the launch of STS-135, the last flight of the space shuttle Atlantis. The mission was scrubbed shortly before the launch time, go figure! But the KSC was a cool tour, and we got to see an in person talk with one of the previous shuttle astronauts. Yes, it was PACKED, I don't know if they draw that kind of crowds now though. They had a limit on the number of applications for the launch, so if I had any advice, it would be to sign up as soon as possible on NASA's website. And as I recall, the fee is non-refundable. I think that would be an awesome trip for your boys!
Yes, we'll have to see. There are no tickets now as it's a 2:18 AM launch, but some research shows the window will stay open for 3-4 days. We won't have too much time to linger, but if they hit a glitch that they could resolve and launch later that day it might be an epic experience. Gotta get the guys on board with it, though; one is in the midst of a big career move and the older one would have to arrange for PTO.

We won't have too much time to linger, but if they hit a glitch that they could resolve and launch later that day it might be an epic experience.
ULA has not been all that forthcoming about the timing, but https://spacenews.com/ula-gearing-up-for-first-vulcan-launch/ suggests that they have only one instant per day to launch and the time moves by a few minutes per day, so we are always likely talking about a very early AM launch.

Unfortunately it doesn't look like there are any SpaceX launches that week, otherwise that could be a viewing backup for you.

ULA has not been all that forthcoming about the timing, but https://spacenews.com/ula-gearing-up-for-first-vulcan-launch/ suggests that they have only one instant per day to launch and the time moves by a few minutes per day, so we are always likely talking about a very early AM launch.

Unfortunately it doesn't look like there are any SpaceX launches that week, otherwise that could be a viewing backup for you.
Hmm... that's interesting, but yes, you are correct. That does impact my decision-making. And of course, my head goes to why those non-uniform and small daily increments? But not being a celestial mechanics expert, I suppose I'll simply have to muse... The moon orbiting the earth in ~28 days changes its position 51.4 minutes a day. Yeah, I don't get it!

And of course, my head goes to why those non-uniform and small daily increments?
There are a lot of variables: launch azimuth, range safety, DSN scheduling, time of the landing, constraints on the transfer orbit, etc. One chance per day is pretty typical for a lunar/planetary launch.

It does seem odd, given that Peregrine is not really using all of the capability of Vulcan, that they are so constrained on the launch time. It may just come down to convenience/reduction of effort. Clearly they are not doing it for the benefit of spectators!

[added] https://history.nasa.gov/afj/launchwindow/lw1.html is an interesting discussion about the launch window timing for Apollo, but Apollo had far more delta-v capability than Peregrine has.

Yes, we'll have to see. There are no tickets now as it's a 2:18 AM launch, but some research shows the window will stay open for 3-4 days. We won't have too much time to linger, but if they hit a glitch that they could resolve and launch later that day it might be an epic experience. Gotta get the guys on board with it, though; one is in the midst of a big career move and the older one would have to arrange for PTO.
And here I am picturing your "boys" being 5,6,7...

Here's my view of Pad 40 from behind the Atlantis exhibit which is south of 41. When we arrived, we spent 3 hours at the SV exhibit in the morning. To watch the launch from the SV stands, would have to board the buses at 2pm then wait around in the stands in the sun for 3 hours so decided to watch from the visitor center. Fortunately, it worked out. I didn't think the facility was overly packed because of the F9 launch. I don't recall the Early Space Tour available in 2022 but maybe it was.

I saw the last Shuttle go up from Space View Park. I saw a Space X launch last October. And I can't remember where. Not a lot of people. Easy parking and bleachers. It was across a body of water and It was the best place I have seen a launch from. Free too. If I can find where I was I'll let you know. I remember how to get there but I don't remember the name. It was just outside the gate to The Space Force station.20220918_201855[230].jpg

Please check Ben Cooper's guide at https://www.launchphotography.com/Launch_Viewing_Guide.html

The viewing situation is very fluid and there have been changes and closures as recently as the past couple of months. FWIW, Ben says "those bleachers on Rt. 401 outside of the South Gate to the Space Force Station" are no longer an option (though it seems unlikely that you'd be chased off at 2 AM, the Vulcan launch may well attract more crowds than a routine Falcon 9 launch would.)

After the F9 launch at 4:30, everyone started streaming back from behind the Atlanta exhibit and SV buses. The KSC missed an opportunity because the gift shop closed at 5pm and everyone was giddy from the launch. I hope the staff got paid overtime for the hour they worked extra. I got my KSC hat, orange shuttle oven mitts, and traditional dehydrated ice cream. You can buy space ice cream anywhere, but it's extra special when you buy it from the JSC or KSC gift shop. :)

1703986560123.jpeg

After the F9 launch at 4:30, everyone started streaming back from behind the Atlanta exhibit and SV buses. The KSC missed an opportunity because the gift shop closed at 5pm and everyone was giddy from the launch. I hope the staff got paid overtime for the hour they worked extra. I got my KSC hat, orange shuttle oven mitts, and traditional dehydrated ice cream. You can buy space ice cream anywhere, but it's extra special when you buy it from the JSC or KSC gift shop. :)

View attachment 622176
Oh, absolutely! I have my NASA cap that I bought there, which is what I were when I launch my rockets. I bought that, and 3 T shirts for the grandkids pictured above, the last time I was there (August 2021).

But yeah, you would think they'd extend the gift shop hours under those circumstances. Still, even though privately operated, they are likely stuck with gov't rules.

The other thing I wish they had there was "cut above" stuff - like really good model kits with "purchased at KSC" plates or certs. I have a Monster toys 1:144 Saturn V that my (now 9 year old) granddaughter used to simulate every configuration of the mission while we watched the 50th anniversary video of the moon landing. The only major things it doesn't do is detach the interstage adapter between the first two stages, and pop the parachutes! Or Dragon's 1:100 or 1/72 Saturn V, or a good working Shuttle stack. I like things that act reasonably like the real thing.

Oh, absolutely! I have my NASA cap that I bought there, which is what I were when I launch my rockets. I bought that, and 3 T shirts for the grandkids pictured above, the last time I was there (August 2021).

But yeah, you would think they'd extend the gift shop hours under those circumstances. Still, even though privately operated, they are likely stuck with gov't rules.

The other thing I wish they had there was "cut above" stuff - like really good model kits with "purchased at KSC" plates or certs. I have a Monster toys 1:144 Saturn V that my (now 9 year old) granddaughter used to simulate every configuration of the mission while we watched the 50th anniversary video of the moon landing. The only major things it doesn't do is detach the interstage adapter between the first two stages, and pop the parachutes! Or Dragon's 1:100 or 1/72 Saturn V, or a good working Shuttle stack. I like things that act reasonably like the real thing.

I have the 5-1/2 foot Dragon Sat V in my living room. I keep telling myself not to play with it. I have had to fix very well and easy the escape tower twice.

Edit: every thing separates and has the engine bells on the next stage; but then the tower with capsule lands some place and break. So if you want to play with it, remove the Apollo and set it a side to not break the tower.

Last edited:

I am sure they would be eternally grateful if you built one for them! :p

Back