AMW Inc. looking for ideas.

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Originally posted by Hospital_Rocket
38-640
54-1050

Anything else that tickles yer fancy

add the 38-390 in there and make it an H or EVEN G! Come on. AMW leads the pack with colors. Why not be the first company to come out with a commerical pink G load! :D

thanx, Ben

Originally posted by rrocket
I
I might as well put the White in my 75-7600 hardware.
Maybe I should call it a M-1850ww :) and really add to the confusion....
The 7600 hardware is due for a couple new loads anyhow..

Thanks Paul

Blue! BLLUUUUUEEE!!!!

Blue? please?

Originally posted by ben
add the 38-390 in there and make it an H or EVEN G! Come on. AMW leads the pack with colors. Why not be the first company to come out with a commerical pink G load! :D

thanx, Ben

Agree. The 38-390 case is an amazing value and I think might be many flyers first High power casing. But you know whats the deciding factor is the number of loads you can put into it.

(P.S. I have a 38-390 case I bought just to have the I220-SK)

...then we can do a Pink Python.
...If I do the Pink, give me three motor sizes you would want it in..
Thanks Paul

And thank you for asking!!! :)
75/6000
54/1400
54/1750
(38/640 if I get a forth choice)

You can all call me crazy (heck I do every day!), but in some warped way - I am actually more excited to see the logo that I have in my brain become a reality for AMW with the Pink Python added in than I am for the motor itself!!!

How about CE marking the moors and getting them into the European market. Now Aerotech is back it would be fantastic to have even more variety.

... and no pink - my daughter would want me to be flying those until I was broke ;)

Originally posted by smurf
75mm and 54mm Looooooooooooong Burn??

I agree with that too... maybe something to rival the old Ellis M1000?

Originally posted by smurf
How about a M600....I can be done.....

Some long burn K's would great. I'd love to see a long burn GG, like a K200, but with a good initial kick off the pad.

Originally posted by MarkM
Some long burn K's would great. I'd love to see a long burn GG, like a K200, but with a good initial kick off the pad.
Here's my K268 in the AMW 54/1750 case:
https://www.tripolihouston.com/gallery/album03/20_WR90_Dgr54x16_curve

It's a single D-grain, ~16" long. Average of 60 pounds with a peak of 80 pounds. Only 1420 N-secs because of the thicker liner.

Some manufacturing tooling would be needed to make it cost effective.

-John

What is the thickness on that liner? I've got some that are 1/8" thick laying around.

Edward

I think you will 1st see a couple smaller AMW propellants in the 38mm line, which very well could give a nozzle to use with a longer burning 3 grain motor.
Already done some testing on a H-270 skid, and a G-80 skid.
The smaller nozzle of the G/ could be used to make a long burn 3 grain..
Tease, tease:)
Remember, Mother always said, "don't tease unless your gonna please!!

Paul

I think you will 1st see a couple smaller AMW propellants in the 38mm line, which very well could give a nozzle to use with a longer burning 3 grain motor.
Already done some testing on a H-270 skid, and a G-80 skid.
The smaller nozzle of the G/ could be used to make a long burn 3 grain..
Tease, tease:)
Remember, Mother always said, "don't tease unless your gonna please!!

Paul

ok, hand over the G skids, an no one gets hurt! :kill: :D :D

BTW are you looking at making the G skid really sparky or longer burning?

thanx, Ben

Originally posted by edwardw
What is the thickness on that liner? I've got some that are 1/8" thick laying around.
0.155" thick PVC. 0.125" kraft might work. Edward: please send me a private email about how I could get a couple to try.
john_demar at hotmail dot com

Originally posted by Gregzo
Hmmmm....
Pink names.....

So I'm starring at the AMW logo (this always brings a smile to my face) and thinking about what animals would compliment this already fantastic logo??
A snake. A large snake. A snake his body wrapped around and intertwined with the rest of the zoo creatures with his head coming up over the top center (or something like that...)

Motor Name:
Pink Python

Pink Python !!!
Pink Python !!!

Demo @ NERRF Please !!!

Just a quick review: There are going to be 38mm Skids available for LDRS 26, right? Good, 'cause I have a 38mm Executioner waiting to burn one.

Kelly, there will be AT LEAST two different 38mm Skidmark loads available at LDRS... a 3-grain I220, and a 5-grain I-315.
Scott at Just Rockets is the west coast AMW dealer and is now taking preorders for LDRS... shoot him an email at [email protected] and let him know
what you want. I'm quite sure he'll be well stocked, but why take the chance?!?!

Ron

Scare the hell out of NASA.

I don't think a T motor named T-Rex would even be SANE.

-38mm and 54mm long burn or high impulse motors used for altitude, kinds of things that would compete with AT K250 motor or the J570.

-how about aft closure retainers. Such as a circular aluminum disk that goes inbetween aft closure and casing that has 3 holes in it to act as a motor retainer.

-29mm and 38mm motors (all kinds)

-COLORED SPARKIES

-COLORED SMOKE

-TRACKING SMOKE

and of coarse

-PINK PYTHON

Originally posted by chicagonative17
-how about aft closure retainers. Such as a circular aluminum disk that goes inbetween aft closure and casing that has 3 holes in it to act as a motor retainer.

Would that be possible, since these are snap ring casings? I think the holes would have to be in the snap ring itself, right?

How 'bout a special thrust ring that'll work w/slimline retainers?

Or maybe making all your hardware compatible with Slimlines without mods/accessories...like EVERY other mfg. seems to have been able to do? I'd think it'd be as easy as machinging a 2nd thrust-ring groove closer to the aft end of the tube

Honestly, this is why I haven't looked into your stuff. Slimlines have the best features/variety in slim retainers (large/grooved gluing surfaces, choice of rings vs. threaded....two different kind of machined/intetraged tailcone versions, etc.). I have them, I like them.

AT, Cesaroni, Ellis Mtn., Loki...everyone but you & Kosdon (who doesn't currenly make/market hardware, I believe) seems to have stuck to and/or created an "industry standard'.

Seems kinda silly to sacrifice a relatively large group of potential clients because you don't wanna adopt the same format everyone else uses...EXPECIALLY since the changes you'd need to make would be so minor & wouldn't affect your hardware's efficacy in other retainers.

There's no downside, so what's your holdup?

Well deandome, for one they would have to completley redesign all the motor cases, and because of the changes, probably would have to recertify all the loads for those newly shaped cases.

You can't just move grooves on a casing around at will and expect nothing to change. If they move the thrust ring groove back it'll be too close to the internal groove (ya know, the one that holds the nozzle in). If they move the location of that groove, it changes the internal length of the motor.... do you see where I'm going with this? I just got back from the dentist (gassed me up)... I have a point I'm trying to make here, but I'm having a hard time forming it :p :rolleyes:

Originally posted by Deandome
EXPECIALLY since the changes you'd need to make would be so minor & wouldn't affect your hardware's efficacy in other retainers.

There's no downside, so what's your holdup?

WRONG! The changes are not minor. They may seem so to you, but as Nate pointed out -- even in a slightly euphoric state :) - recertification of the loads would be required, plus the loads would now need to be redone for the new case length, even though it may seem small. It would require a substantial investment to do so and that just ain't gonna happen.

How 'bout this...

Why doesn't Giant leap redesign their retainer? Now, THAT would be far easier to do! Aeropack did it when the Animal motors first hit the market, why not GLP?

And instead of complaining about AMW not fitting GLP retainers, perhaps you should just change to using Aeropacks if you want to fly AMW as they work with everything (at least solid) motor hardware out there.

I can't switch out retainers on rocket's I've built. And the one I'm probby gonna buy (Talon 4) comes w/a slimline, so I'm not gonna pony up another $30.

And mostly, Aeropack doesn't make slim retainers! PML now does, and I think they're compatible, but overall, I don't like 'em as much.

But if I wrap my head around the ever-growing expense of scratchbuilding a 4" Armageddon rather than getting the Talon, I could go w/the Aeropack tailcone as a substitute for the finned Armageddon tail-thingie. Their tailcones are very nice & clean looking!

As I see it, there are two major issues with AMW cases and Slimline retainers:
1) the size of the external thrust ring
2) the location of the external thrust ring.

I think #2 is actually fairly easy to solve by including an adapter ring that would sit between the external thrust ring and the slimline retaining ring. This would leave the motor hanging out further than is normal for other motors, but not dangerously so. The solution to #1 is harder. The external thrust ring would need to be reduced in size by a few hundredths of an inch so that it fits within the slimline. I've heard of other people grinding it down so that it fits but I've never seen this done nor done it myself (I have a 75mm AMW case) If AMW were to source a slightly smaller external thrust ring, I think it would fit in the slimline and thus just require an adapter to take up the space between the AMW thrust ring and the slimline retaining ring.

-Aaron

Originally posted by heada
As I see it, there are two major issues with AMW cases and Slimline retainers:
1) the size of the external thrust ring
2) the location of the external thrust ring.

I think #2 is actually fairly easy to solve

... The solution to #1 is harder. -Aaron

Actually, I think you have it backwards. #2 is easily solved. A friend of mine ground down several AMW thrust rings to fit his older Aeropacks which were made before Aeropack changed their design to accomodate the AMW motors. They work perfectly.

The issue is still the position of the thrust ring. I've seen a few who have GLP retainers use FORWARD retention (the eyebolt in the forward closure) to secure the motor. I'm not a fan of this method as, depending on your setup, it can be a bit of a tricky manuever to secure it correctly But then I also have Aeropack retainers so i don't have to bother :)

The reason why I placed #2 as easier to solve is that all it takes is a known length of tubing that is less than the I.D. of the Slimline but greater than the O.D. of the AMW case. The length being the difference in space between the thrust ring and the retaining ring. It doesn't have to be a major support device as the AMW motors don't contain an ejection charge (at least the 75mm doesn't, the only one I personally have worked with) and so is only there to keep the motor from rattling around.

Grinding down the O.D. for the external thrust ring is slightly harder in that it is smaller and harder to hold onto. Also getting a uniform grind around the circumference would not be an easy task.

Any way you look at it, the process AMW would have to take in order for their cases to work with slimline retainers is not huge and would not require a recert of any motors or retooling for their cases.

-Aaron

Latest posts

Back