• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Rocketry Forum and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

Sold Wilton 835 bullet vise

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AHansom

Reaction score
Great for working on rockets or anything else where a vise is needed. 3 1/2" wide jaws that open up close to 6". Everything runs smooth Just completely dissembled for a good cleaning and lube. For a 76 year old vise it shows very little signs of use and no abuse.

$350 plus shipping.

IMG_E1988.JPG
IMG_1971.jpg

someone has been hanging out on the Garage Journal forum
Never heard of the Garage Journal? Ill see what its about.
Ive used bullet vises forever. The AA Funny Car I used to work on we had them in the trailer. We have 2 - 6" and a 4" bullet vise in the maintenance shop at work. I also use them on my welding table and reloading table at home. Although some time i will use the Will-Burt Versa Vise because I like the versatility of being able to turn it on its side.

IMG_1999.jpg

Never heard of the Garage Journal? Ill see what its about.
Ive used bullet vises forever. The AA Funny Car I used to work on we had them in the trailer. We have 2 - 6" and a 4" bullet vise in the maintenance shop at work. I also use them on my welding table and reloading table at home. Although some time i will use the Will-Burt Versa Vise because I like the versatility of being able to turn it on its side.

View attachment 467546

OMG, garagejournal.com is a time and money sucking site……..I love it.

someone has been hanging out on the Garage Journal forum
Thanks for the Garage Journal info. Ill be stopping by there once in a while. I'm kind of a vise whore. Have way to many old vises that I don't use. I'm going to thin the heard down to a Wilton Cadet with 4 1/2 " jaws and a duck bill versa vise.

Lots of people don't understand why someone would pay this much for a vise until they use one!! The quality is not available on today's vises

IMG_2001.jpg

Wilton makes a nice vice. I wish I was in the market. Who made the aluminum rods? It's been a long time since I've seen aluminum rods.
There Venolia. Got a few sets of Childs&Alberts and Micky Thompson left I used to drill and tap old alluminum rods for cabinet door handles.IMG_2003.jpg

Last edited:
I can't remember what mine were. I was building a .030 over 396 for my '69 Camaro and I thought aluminum rods would be great in a street rod. The guy that built the engine (Kendrick in San Antonio) talked me out of it. HE talked me out of Carrillo steel rods too. Man... that was a long time ago. At some point I got married and sold the Camaro. Should've kept the Camaro and gotten rid of the ex... except I have 4 great kids and 6 grandkids out of that "union" so I did pretty good.

Cabinet handles, that's a great idea!

Looks like a belt drive cog for a blower back there too

Edit-I see you already have a pic of the whole thing sitting there

I can't remember what mine were. I was building a .030 over 396 for my '69 Camaro and I thought aluminum rods would be great in a street rod. The guy that built the engine (Kendrick in San Antonio) talked me out of it. HE talked me out of Carrillo steel rods too. Man... that was a long time ago. At some point I got married and sold the Camaro. Should've kept the Camaro and gotten rid of the ex... except I have 4 great kids and 6 grandkids out of that "union" so I did pretty good.

Cabinet handles, that's a great idea!
I believe he did you right on the steel rod recomendation, I always thought it interesting the Nitro/Alcohol cars use aluminum for the shock absorbing characteristic, While Titanium could be lighter it has no give and transfers to much shock load to the crank on that high of horsepower and RPM.
Great to hear about the kids and grand-kids. Enjoy them!!!

There Venolia. Got a few sets of Childs and Alberts and Micky Thompson left I used to drill and tap old alluminum rods for cabinet door handles.View attachment 467571

As a kid, I used to sweep floors for a guy who ran Fuel Funny Car in the 70's & early 80's. I remember seeing a bunch of aluminum rods & pistons that looked similar (but as I recall they had buttons on the skirts and to hold in the wrist pins). Eventually I worked my way up to mowing the lawn, running the parts washer and doing the occasional valve job when the other guys were busy. The shop at that time did both the race car stuff and general automotive machining. I never did race car stuff other than parts washing.

His name was Frank Oglesby and he passed 2 years ago, I believe. There has literally never been a better story teller.

https://www.nhra.com/news/2016/frank-oglesby-and-mello-yello-mustang
https://www.nhra.com/news/2019/remembering-bobby-vodnik-and-frank-oglesby
I credit Frank as one of my mentors, fostering my desire to be an engineer instead of a guy pumping gas. I last spoke with him about 5 years ago after discussing with a contact at Hot Rod about doing an interview with him. He agreed, but once I put the contacts together, nothing materialized. It was around the time that Hot Rod got off YouTube and went behind the Motor Trend paywall. Its a shame, as they could have scheduled a half day shoot and it would have turned into a 5 part series. Again, a great story teller and a guy who was just almost making the Pro scene, but not quite. He wrenched and drove Fuel Funny Cars from the early days and for a while was a driver of one of the Lava Machine Jet cars. Spent most of his time match racing in the 60's-70's to try to pay for going to National Events. His speed dial on the phone in the office had some big names on it and they'd often talk.

Funny how a post about an old vice ends up bringing about such good memories. . .

Thanks for sharing.

Sandy.

I put a set of 12:1 compression Venolia pistons in my Triumph spitfire back when I was young and dumb. Thanks for the photos. The Garage Journal has a Monster Sized Vise thread and all of those guys worship Wilton.

As a kid, I used to sweep floors for a guy who ran Fuel Funny Car in the 70's & early 80's. I remember seeing a bunch of aluminum rods & pistons that looked similar (but as I recall they had buttons on the skirts and to hold in the wrist pins). Eventually I worked my way up to mowing the lawn, running the parts washer and doing the occasional valve job when the other guys were busy. The shop at that time did both the race car stuff and general automotive machining. I never did race car stuff other than parts washing.

His name was Frank Oglesby and he passed 2 years ago, I believe. There has literally never been a better story teller.

https://www.nhra.com/news/2016/frank-oglesby-and-mello-yello-mustang
https://www.nhra.com/news/2019/remembering-bobby-vodnik-and-frank-oglesby
I credit Frank as one of my mentors, fostering my desire to be an engineer instead of a guy pumping gas. I last spoke with him about 5 years ago after discussing with a contact at Hot Rod about doing an interview with him. He agreed, but once I put the contacts together, nothing materialized. It was around the time that Hot Rod got off YouTube and went behind the Motor Trend paywall. Its a shame, as they could have scheduled a half day shoot and it would have turned into a 5 part series. Again, a great story teller and a guy who was just almost making the Pro scene, but not quite. He wrenched and drove Fuel Funny Cars from the early days and for a while was a driver of one of the Lava Machine Jet cars. Spent most of his time match racing in the 60's-70's to try to pay for going to National Events. His speed dial on the phone in the office had some big names on it and they'd often talk.

Funny how a post about an old vice ends up bringing about such good memories. . .

Thanks for sharing.

Sandy.

Hey Sandy
Thanks for the story
We have the same story and time frame Sandy. My guy Fred Goeske lived a block away and I would walk by his house going to school. I was always stopping him and asking questions, then one day he said " I need to get some work done. If you can stay and help we can figure it out". I ended up going to the local races and traveling with him during the summers off from school. He taught me some machinist stuff and I worked on and off in his machine shop for a long time. After a bad fire he built a few rocket cars he ran that for several years. The rocket cars would regularly run exhibitions at the same races the jets where. I remember the LAVA car. Video is of the last rocket car I worked on. Wish I was still as skinny as I am in the video!!!

https://www.nhra.com/news/2014/fearless-fred-goeske

Last edited:
how would you ship that vise. It has to weigh a lot. Maybe a wooden crate?
Cardboard box. Wrap the vise in a garbage bag put it in the box and spray a lille expalding foam around it. I have shipped heavy reloading presses that way with no problem. Weighs a little under 40 lbs so weight is not a problem.

Back