where has 2023 gone ?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I don't know where it went but I'm sure I spent too much time working and not enough time building rockets and driving my Jeep on Jeep trails. I'll try to do better next year. I think I've already worked more this week than in any of the 6 or 8 weeks before.

where has 2023 gone ?​

I wish I had a clue. Life this year has been completely crazy, with unexpected issues, and very "trying times" at every turn. My family (close and extended) has just gone from one crises to the next.

But as @gdjsky01 says "good riddens", and here's to 2024.

Wishing everyone a happy, healthy, uneventful (unless it's good events) Holiday Season, and next year.

Just me at the door and wishing everyone
that they may have a Happy Holiday Season and a SAFE one
Be careful out on the roads this season and be considerate of others even if they
are not considerate of you . A small amount of kindness goes a long way.
Take care !!

Bobby
Same to you. I have had the same question. Flew by but a tough one.

Let the Jim's in life tag the wild rhinoceros while I Marlin observe from above. Don't open the door and let the monster in. Even in work I found plenty of time for myself. If I'm not worth it, who is? Now on to my morning shower and off to the coffee shop. It's good to be me.

2023 was a decent year for me and mine. We got a few projects done around the house that were long overdue, and we had some good visits with friends and family. Hopefully more of the same in 2024.

One thing I’m kind of worried about is that 2023 wasn’t necessarily great for the “state of the world”, and it looks like some rough road ahead. Buckle up everybody, and try to stay positive.

Just me at the door and wishing everyone
that they may have a Happy Holiday Season and a SAFE one
Be careful out on the roads this season and be considerate of others even if they
are not considerate of you . A small amount of kindness goes a long way.
Take care !!

Bobby

That’s a nice thought for the holiday season and the end of the year!

worst year of my life. good riddens. 2023, don't let the door hit you on your backside on the way out.

Ugh. Sorry to hear that. I hope things turn around for you in 2024!

where has 2023 gone ?​

I wish I had a clue. Life this year has been completely crazy, with unexpected issues, and very "trying times" at every turn. My family (close and extended) has just gone from one crises to the next.

But as @gdjsky01 says "good riddens", and here's to 2024.

Wishing everyone a happy, healthy, uneventful (unless it's good events) Holiday Season, and next year.

Sorry to hear about the family crises. Some years seem to have more than their fair share. Good luck in 2024!

Well said, Bobby.

I’ll bid 2023 adieu carefully, as 2024 may be listening from the hallway.

Yeah. Let’s not piss off the new year before it even gets here.

Let's just not have another 2020! :barf:

Happy holidays everyone! :cheers:

No matter how bad things get, we can always look back and say, “At least it’s not as bad as 2020!”

Let the Jim's in life tag the wild rhinoceros while I Marlin observe from above. Don't open the door and let the monster in. Even in work I found plenty of time for myself. If I'm not worth it, who is? Now on to my morning shower and off to the coffee shop. It's good to be me.

This is why everyone wants to be you!

One thing I’m kind of worried about is that 2023 wasn’t necessarily great for the “state of the world”, and it looks like some rough road ahead. Buckle up everybody, and try to stay positive.
Amen to that.
2023 was eventful for sure. I said goodbye to my mother, did a lot of house remodeling, saw my daughter married, and got my L3. Hopefully 2024 will be less expensive if nothing else.

2023 could have been better. Some kitty-cat losses, but, some new kitty-cats as replacements.
This was an eventful year as I "graduated" into being comfortable with 29mm F & G motors, being comfortable using Reloadable Motor Systems (my 29/40-120 got a lot of use, and now I have a second one as well); and I have built a few rockets already that have 38mm Motor Mounts, but haven't flown those yet. 2024 will be my L1 year and getting comfortable flying H and I motors. Already have one 38mm case, but need a few more and the adapter system.

2024 also needs to be the year I start filling my rocket with electronics. Have a pile of that stuff ready to go, but have yet to get comfortable stuffing all that into a rocket that could potentially explode, end up in a tree or a lake, or meet some other fate that guarantees that I lose at least $100 of electronics. So there's that too.

But anyhow. 2023 wasn't a terrible year, but I had hoped I could have been more productive, and yes, it did seem to slip by too quickly, because as I look at my To-Do list it almost seems like I didn't get anything done. But I'll try harder next year.

2024 also needs to be the year I start filling my rocket with electronics. Have a pile of that stuff ready to go, but have yet to get comfortable stuffing all that into a rocket that could potentially explode,...
Actually with electronic dual deployment you do want it to explode... twice!

May all our dd rockets explode next year! 😆 :cheers:

Folks will slice their wrists, jump into shark infested waters, get attacked, complain about the outcome then blame the shark. A loser falls down and stays down. A winner falls down and gets back up.

2023 for me was a million miles per hour today, but seemed slow as a turtle for each day on the way. Definitely not the best year I've had, but better than the previous few, so I guess I'll call it a rebuilding season. . .

My hope for 2024 is that I get back to feeling more like me than I have in a while and that I'm smart enough to prioritize the things that are really important vs. the things that other people want me to think are important, but they really aren't. I'm 100% sure my to-do list will grow, but it should grow with the things that really should be to-done vs. the things that are to-waste time.

I'll think about 2023 for another week or so and think about what I could have done differently at times I'm sure. I'll just try to do 2024 better and part of that is getting started a few days early (i.e. cleaning the garage as we speak vs. waiting until Jan 1 to start. . .).

No idea, but this is the year that it really sank it how fast time goes anymore. Maybe that's just watching my children grow and realizing this is the last school year of daycare for my youngest. Next year she starts kindergarten.
On the downside we've dealt with the furnace dying and the city deciding to run a road alongside our house with all the headaches (some literal) that come along with having part of your property turned into a construction zone.
On the upside, rediscovered rocketry and introduced my kids to it. Was my first time shooting motors C sized and up. Got up to F motors this year, building a rocket for G motors this spring and kind of eyeing up going for L1 this summer. The kids are having fun with the idea of a rocket as big as they are.

2023? War in Ukraine, concern for friends and family living there. Papa and one very close set of friends moved to USA, and us specifically so some worry diminished. Still a lot of friends and family there to be worried about.
I started the year with ligament reconstruction and tendon interposition on my left hand. A month in a cast and another month in a splint.
Returned to work with a manager that demanded work life balance so my hours reduced by half. Feel better but still very bad attitude about my employer. I am not alone there.
September rolls in and I celebrate 36 years with that employer, and my 63rd birthday.
My left foot was hurting, so I took my shoe off to check It out. The foot was visibly swollen, up to the knee! My first thought was blood clot. I take off from work, head to urgent care. They feel the same, but no ultra sound machine available so I am sent across the city to another clinic. Ultrasound clear. I am directed to use ice, elevate and stay off it for several days.
I spend my birthday in clinics and foot elevated.
Three days later, I am not feeling so bad so I cautiously head downstairs to feed the cats. Half way across the kitchen I feel, and hear the P! O! P!!! in my left foot. 3 am I let out a scream and fall to the floor. Mrs comes down asking if I fell down. ”Nope! Something in my foot broke!“
Back to the doc and another X-ray, given a walking boot and a referral to podiatry. Foot is too sore to wear the boot. Two days later the podiatrist informs me that I have indeed broken something in my foot. Severely ruptured the fascia tendon.
6 weeks in a cast. Walking boot to follow.
So here it is at the end of 2023, and I have yet to wear a normal shoe on my left foot since Sept 29th.
Still extremely swollen, even with most of the pain gone.
2023 can leave. It won’t hurt my feelings to see it go!

2023? War in Ukraine, concern for friends and family living there. Papa and one very close set of friends moved to USA, and us specifically so some worry diminished. Still a lot of friends and family there to be worried about.
I started the year with ligament reconstruction and tendon interposition on my left hand. A month in a cast and another month in a splint.
Returned to work with a manager that demanded work life balance so my hours reduced by half. Feel better but still very bad attitude about my employer. I am not alone there.
September rolls in and I celebrate 36 years with that employer, and my 63rd birthday.
My left foot was hurting, so I took my shoe off to check It out. The foot was visibly swollen, up to the knee! My first thought was blood clot. I take off from work, head to urgent care. They feel the same, but no ultra sound machine available so I am sent across the city to another clinic. Ultrasound clear. I am directed to use ice, elevate and stay off it for several days.
I spend my birthday in clinics and foot elevated.
Three days later, I am not feeling so bad so I cautiously head downstairs to feed the cats. Half way across the kitchen I feel, and hear the P! O! P!!! in my left foot. 3 am I let out a scream and fall to the floor. Mrs comes down asking if I fell down. ”Nope! Something in my foot broke!“
Back to the doc and another X-ray, given a walking boot and a referral to podiatry. Foot is too sore to wear the boot. Two days later the podiatrist informs me that I have indeed broken something in my foot. Severely ruptured the fascia tendon.
6 weeks in a cast. Walking boot to follow.
So here it is at the end of 2023, and I have yet to wear a normal shoe on my left foot since Sept 29th.
Still extremely swollen, even with most of the pain gone.
2023 can leave. It won’t hurt my feelings to see it go!

That’s a rough year. I hope 2024 is better for you and your family (And your foot!).

That’s a rough year. I hope 2024 is better for you and your family (And your foot!).
I have to agree. 30 pounds of weight gain, 5 new medications, and my retirement account is noticeably smaller. Thank my holy stars that I found a job.

It's been one disaster after another. My September stay in the hospital with a worrisome diagnosis. Lost my mother in October. Lost a good friend a couple of weeks ago. My wife's MS has been getting worse all year. So much has happened since September I can't really remember much before that. I have heard it said that deaths happen in threes. I wonder who is next. The war in Ukraine has been worrying me all year. I'm afraid of what 2024 will bring to Ukraine. There are so many crises happening around the world 2024 may be very worse than 2023. I sure hope not. I find that the older I get time goes faster every year. I remember as a kid that time dragged by at a snails pace. The good thing is that since September I have had the motivation do do some yard work that has needed done for years. Also cleaned up and out the garage. 2023 has been much to stressful. I sure hope 2024 will be less stressful. I guess we will have to see. Happy Holidays to all of you. And be safe out there.

It's been one disaster after another. My September stay in the hospital with a worrisome diagnosis. Lost my mother in October. Lost a good friend a couple of weeks ago. My wife's MS has been getting worse all year. So much has happened since September I can't really remember much before that. I have heard it said that deaths happen in threes. I wonder who is next. The war in Ukraine has been worrying me all year. I'm afraid of what 2024 will bring to Ukraine. There are so many crises happening around the world 2024 may be very worse than 2023. I sure hope not. I find that the older I get time goes faster every year. I remember as a kid that time dragged by at a snails pace. The good thing is that since September I have had the motivation do do some yard work that has needed done for years. Also cleaned up and out the garage. 2023 has been much to stressful. I sure hope 2024 will be less stressful. I guess we will have to see. Happy Holidays to all of you. And be safe out there.
Darn, I hope 2024 turns up Better.

2023 felt about a decade long. The first half of 2023 was an absolute beating on almost all fronts. The second half was almost the exact opposite with all but one major problem resolving or at least trending back to as good or better than before.

A lot of stuff has happened over the last 2 years to me and family members that have left me firmly in Carpe Diem mode. I had a few of those "pinch yourself to make sure this is real" kinda moments this year, and I'm going for a higher percentage of those in the coming year(s).

Andy Dufresne nailed it: "I guess it comes down to a simple choice, really. Get busy living, or get busy dying." IThis year more than any taught me I need actively focus on the former.

Back