What's your favorite CTI propellant?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ok, between the Skids, the Vmax's, the Imax's, the adjustable delays, and the fact that manufacture actually has popular sizes on the shelves, ready for dealer orders...uhh.. anybody looking for a bunch of AT 29/38mm hardware?

BTW Jeroen, thanks for the Pro75 Skidmark video - that's cool. Now I just need to build a rocket that can handle that beast!

Something like an 4830L1375. Perfect for a L2 like yourself ;-) Certification firings are scheduled for later this week....

Jeroen

That sounds fun. I may consider flying one at my club's Oktoberfest launch - I have a rocket perfect for the larger L motors (so far, it's only flown on the L2375 White Thunder and L2200 Mojave Green loads).

I don't like the CTI's, especially since the M1400 CATO that destroyed my L3 rocket during my cert attempt. Unfortunately, I'm stuck flying another one since the motor was warrantied, but that'll be the last one I fly. It's all LOKI for me!!!

So you don't like one of the most reliable motor manufacturers because of a single failure? I've seen Aerotech catos, CTI catos (though not many), and Loki catos, among others. No manufacturer is immune to occasional failure.

Problem was, they KNEW there was a problem with the propellant and still sold the motors, said everything was fine. After I post about my cato, at least three more incidents pop up all with the same propellant, and all of a sudden.... there's a recall!! You spend over a grand on a rocket, and hours upon hours of documenting and building and have your rocket blow up from "one of the most reliable" motors out there and tell me how you feel about it. That was like the fourth CTI AP motor I've ever flown, and it cato'd. (but I love the HT hybrids.) I've flown countless LOKI's and have had one cato. I've flown as many AT's and never had a cato. Sure, I've seen 'em, but my personal track record stands as it is. But the poor batting average with the CTI solids has left a very bad taste in my mouth.

I don't think they knew that the propellant had issues beforehand.

Yep, they did. My motor vendor was told to look for cracks in the core of the grains, which we did. In fact, the borrowed case I used for my flight was a brand new replacement that was warrantied from a cato of an M1400 the previous fall.

Yep, they did. My motor vendor was told to look for cracks in the core of the grains, which we did. In fact, the borrowed case I used for my flight was a brand new replacement that was warrantied from a cato of an M1400 the previous fall.
We were aware that there were issues. And we took action to solve it. We were quite sure all problems were solved, but just to be sure issued a warning to our dealers. The problem was the unpredictability of this. The propellant seemed to age and go bad. We tested numerous here, without problem. I cooled/heated/cycled them, no problem. We sent them out and get a warranty claim. This had us puzzled for a little while. We are quite confident that we solved the problem for good now.

I'm terrible sorry to hear about your failed launch. We are doing our utmost best to get you reliable products. Every warranty claim is taken very seriously and we try to learn from it.
Jeroen

Last edited:
Fred, I agree that I only fly Loki (or my own stuff) but its all Snap Ring. I do think you need to rethink things. I like snap ring stuff because its easy to modify things. I fly research and commercial grains togther all the time. As long as you have a nozzle, Orings, a BH and liner your pretty much set.

Fred, I agree that I only fly Loki (or my own stuff) but its all Snap Ring. I do think you need to rethink things. I like snap ring stuff because its easy to modify things. I fly research and commercial grains togther all the time. As long as you have a nozzle, Orings, a BH and liner your pretty much set.

CTI has a good track record. Ive had propellant cracks in grains before and didn't know it. (I found out after the fact) So it does take a little investigation to find it.

Ben

We were aware that there were issues. And we took action to solve it. We were quite sure all problems were solved, but just to be sure issued a warning to our dealers. The problem was the unpredictability of this. The propellant seemed to age and go bad. We tested numerous here, without problem. I cooled/heated/cycled them, no problem. We sent them out and get a warranty claim. This had us puzzled for a little while. We are quite confident that we solved the problem for good now.

I'm terrible sorry to hear about your failed launch. We are doing our utmost best to get you reliable products. Every warranty claim is taken very seriously and we try to learn from it.
Jeroen

Thanks for your reply Jeroen, I appreciate the concern. That shows a lot of class. My next attempt will be with the CTI red M motor, maybe you'll get a little redemption, eh? ;)

Thanks for your reply Jeroen, I appreciate the concern. That shows a lot of class. My next attempt will be with the CTI red M motor, maybe you'll get a little redemption, eh? ;)
Fred,

Just wanted to let everyone know that we are not hiding anything. By knowingly sending out bad reloads we would loose a lot of customers and potential future sales (and loose my own face).

We have a lot of new 75's (and more in the works). All very interesting. The Red 5G is very nice. If you don't have a L3 yet the 4G Blue Streak is very impressive as well (an L). And L2 flyers will certainly appreciate the 5G L Skidmark.

Jeroen

The old 75s are nice too. The L2375 White Thunder (4g) is among the more impressive Ls out there.

The old 75s are nice too. The L2375 White Thunder (4g) is among the more impressive Ls out there.

Yes, thanks for that. That is really an 'undervalued' motor. Like the M2505 3G Pro98 White Thunder (originally developed for a UAV booster program) and the Pro54 White Thunder motors.

Jeroen

It's definitely got a great flame on it, that's for sure:

RL3_3759_tweaked.jpg

It's definitely got a great flame on it, that's for sure:
That's a great shot! Thanks for posting that! I would like to add it to our web site with the little icons linking to a test / flight of each motor type. Do you mind if we use it? (with proper credit off course)

I just came in from today's certification firings. Still smell like a 'skunk'. Great fun. We tested 8 new motors. Some 29, 38, 54 and a 75. Went quite well, but I will leave it up to CAR/MCC to call them 'certified'.

Jeroen

Details....
What propellant types? Anything new?
No new propellants - that is for the next marathon session in July. Just a lot of motors that I thought would be fun. We fired Classic, Imax, Smoky Sam, and Skidmark motors. Some of the products are already on YouYube, and not a real 'surprise'. There was a new casing (Pro29-6GXL). Yes it is long!

That's a great shot! Thanks for posting that! I would like to add it to our web site with the little icons linking to a test / flight of each motor type. Do you mind if we use it? (with proper credit off course)

I just came in from today's certification firings. Still smell like a 'skunk'. Great fun. We tested 8 new motors. Some 29, 38, 54 and a 75. Went quite well, but I will leave it up to CAR/MCC to call them 'certified'.

Jeroen

Yep, you can use it. I can e-mail you the full resolution version if you want. The lighting isn't great, but at least it's sharp.

Back