What Kits do you consider "MUST HAVE'S"???

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Kits that are must haves: == any kit I currently don't have. I'm partial to rockets that are fin-standers because I have limited storage space. So, any 3 or 4 (or more) fin rocket where the fins protrude below the airframe. Which is a pretty long list of kits I am still missing. But I also prefer bigger, wider body tubes, 24mm Motors or bigger, so that chops down the list a little. But... basically, a whole bunch.

Top three:

Der V3
Alpha
Big Bertha
Ram Jet Clone
Mega Mosquito Clone
Phoenix (clone or original)
Star Orbiter
Sasha
Der Big Red Max
Mean Machine

One of my favorite rockets I ever had was an Apogee Aspire. Simple, very easy to build unless you are making it supersonic proof which takes a few more steps. But the rocket is just versatile, it’s light enough to launch on smaller motors yet you can also throw a G motor into it and go supersonic. Or put one of those long burn F motors into it and send it a mile. They also make an electronics bay now and you can make it dual deployment to dip your feet into the water there.

And now I REALLY want to launch a rocket with a 3 inch Mission Impossible Tom Cruise strapped to the side and film it with an AstroCam.

One of my favorite rockets I ever had was an Apogee Aspire. Simple, very easy to build unless you are making it supersonic proof which takes a few more steps. But the rocket is just versatile, it’s light enough to launch on smaller motors yet you can also throw a G motor into it and go supersonic. Or put one of those long burn F motors into it and send it a mile. They also make an electronics bay now and you can make it dual deployment to dip your feet into the water there.
Or you can put an H13 in it and go to 10,000 feet plus.

BION (Believe It Or Not) Fliskits Decaffeinator! 🙃 :) :p 😆

I've built tons of rockets of all types... standard and way-out-there scratchies and this kit was an incredibly fun and different build.

20230115_212700.jpg

It should be on your list for the unique build, design and flight characteristics. Additionally, it includes a parasitic glider (up to you whether to add) and ideas for other mods & designs such as a two stager or humongous 100+ cup build.

Jim Flis is a genius!

Edit: Also it's almost 6' tall, rear-eject, can launch on C11 or D12 motors, and can be built so you can disassemble into two parts for transport (I did it for mine).

Last edited:
I like models from my entry into the hobby, somewhere in the 80's :)
Big bertha
BBZ
Vigilante
Maxi Alpha
V2
Goblin

being the hoarder type, i like many others too, and i may have missed some here, but that's what i can think of now.

I like models from my entry into the hobby, somewhere in the 80's :)
Big bertha
BBZ
Vigilante
Maxi Alpha
V2
Goblin

being the hoarder type, i like many others too, and i may have missed some here, but that's what i can think of now.
Me too, I’m working on sourcing parts for a maxi alpha

Go for the Boosted Bertha instead of the original. I consider that upgrade a must have. For $2-$3 more than the original you get screw on retainers and a booster module as well as some other bells/whistles (and can always launch without the booster).
I’m eying a BB as i get back into the hobby after 45 years and think you have convinced me for the Boosted one. I onlu got to launch mine 2-3 times before it lawn darted on me. (my fault ). Just loved that slow lift off. I’m limited to 400’ as nesr an airbase and airport but will find a club somewhere. It’s Boosted Bertha time 👍

All of them from the 60s through the 80s.
I joined the Navy in 79 and never got to enjoy the kits of the 80s. just wish i had even the parts left over from my old Centuri kits. the $$ they go for. 🤔. Now i’m buying the old kits and shaking my head at the cost of the clones. 😱

I’m eying a BB as i get back into the hobby after 45 years and think you have convinced me for the Boosted one. I onlu got to launch mine 2-3 times before it lawn darted on me. (my fault ). Just loved that slow lift off. I’m limited to 400’ as nesr an airbase and airport but will find a club somewhere. It’s Boosted Bertha time 👍
You can probably keep the Boosted Bertha below that with a pair of A motors.

You can probably keep the Boosted Bertha below that with a pair of A motors.
That’s what I’m thining. I haven’t really had a chance to “explore” areas, but had a great time “ SWAGGING” on what size minis to use on an Alpha, a NOS “Scorpion” and another kit from “custom rockets” called the Freedom.

Was on school grounds near the air base and used 1/2A minis on the Alpha and Scorpion and the Freedom was a bit heavier and used an A8-3. did good guess after 40 plus years and got my peak goal of maybe 250’ and solid launches (I do STEM work). kids loved it. First time i ever used “wadding“. always liked the Centuri Baffles or i used battan insulation from our attic as a kid. only singed one chute but opened up enough to slow down.

Just so much fun to get back into it.

I do have the Baby Bertha (yet to buld) and who knows what “mods” I will do.

hopefully work with some scout groups or others and if fortunate to retire next year. it’s “step it up and look for “Level 1 cert.

Think the nearest rocket club in SC is mid state some 4 hour drive. Time to get involved. 😏 🚀

That’s what I’m thining. I haven’t really had a chance to “explore” areas, but had a great time “ SWAGGING” on what size minis to use on an Alpha, a NOS “Scorpion” and another kit from “custom rockets” called the Freedom.

Was on school grounds near the air base and used 1/2A minis on the Alpha and Scorpion and the Freedom was a bit heavier and used an A8-3. did good guess after 40 plus years and got my peak goal of maybe 250’ and solid launches (I do STEM work). kids loved it. First time i ever used “wadding“. always liked the Centuri Baffles or i used battan insulation from our attic as a kid. only singed one chute but opened up enough to slow down.

Just so much fun to get back into it.

I do have the Baby Bertha (yet to buld) and who knows what “mods” I will do.

hopefully work with some scout groups or others and if fortunate to retire next year. it’s “step it up and look for “Level 1 cert.

Think the nearest rocket club in SC is mid state some 4 hour drive. Time to get involved. 😏 🚀
I think you can load the Booster from the Boosted Bertha onto the Baby Bertha but this will require that you move the rear centering ring forward some on the baby bertha and may not allow you to use the normal retainer setup for the Baby Bertha (i.e., retaining clip may get in the way of the booster). Mainly mentioning for future flexibility (if you build the Boosted Bertha first you can see any mods needed for the Baby Bertha to fit the booster. I have not simulated this to check stability.

Also keep in mind with two-stage rockets, the booster motor / engine needs to lift the rocket as well as the front motor and itself (booster motor). Boosters typically need larger motors / engines. I am really surprised that the Boosted Bertha recommends an A8-0 in the booster. OpenRocket Simulation shows that coming off the rod at around 17-18 ft/sec w/ an apogee of 57'. It is actually surprising that a C6-0 can lift the Boosted Bertha (all thanks to those huge fins allowing such slow take-offs). With C6-0 in booster simulation suggests 25ft/sec off the rod (much slower than usual as well) and shows an apogee of 246ft w/ A8-3 in sustainer.

My self imposed list is capped to what was in the 1996 Estes catalog because that's what I had as a reference growing up and in no particular order the kits I must have (and will have to clone because I'm not paying for OOP kits) are:

Airwalker - with the silver body tube not the white one of the re-release
Hawkeye - bought my original at a Ben Franklin in Wellsboro, PA and never found it after the first launch
Shadow - which was just an Optima with new decals but 13 year old me loved the black/silver/blue and that something else I loved (noir stories and movies) could cross with rockets ... What evil lurks in the heart of man ... the SHADOW knows!
AIM54 Phoenix

I did come by an original Phoenix kit and it's waiting patiently for me to get to it.

Everything else I build will be an eclectic mix of current kits from non-Estes vendors or kits to hone my skills. I love the New Way fighter kits, Squirrel Works dogfight kit (the pacific kit because F4U corsairs are my favorite warbird), and I need to pick an Odd'l kit, my kids like the Lil Green Man but I'm partial to the F-18 and Sputnik.

I have added two scratch builds to my plans, one a HSR from @Dotini 's amazing thread on the topic, and a torpedo-esque design that I'm kicking around and will toss in OR once I get to spend some more time using it.

Regardless I'm limiting myself to 5 or 6 spots on the Rocket Shelf so everything else I build will have to go home with somebody else eventually.

Back