Fiberglass kit recomendations

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fraze321

Reaction score
I've been in HPR and EX rocketry for over 20 years. I have only built a couple cardboard/phenolic kits. I have built many from scratch. I was looking for a 2.6" kit with a 54mm motor mount and there's a few out there but not sure what manufacture would be best. Do you have a preference? I'm sure they all have ups and downs but what are your favorites?

I like the Tomach from Wildman/Madcow (they both sell it, it appears that Wildman is now making them). There’s a 2.6” version with a 54mm mount, but mine is the 2.2” version that’s built as MD 54mm.

I’ve attached a photo of mine, Zodi Buster, dual deploy configured with CF tip-to-tip and launching at Blackrock on an L1000.

Attachments

• 2022-09-15 ARLISS Day 4-1461.jpeg
    2022-09-15 ARLISS Day 4-1461.jpeg
    2.8 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Find one you like the looks of, and get that one. Most of them build pretty much the same... once you build one, the second and third (and 20th...) will be easy.

Personally, I really like the Giant Leap kits with the compression-molded Acme fin cans (such as the Vertical Assault, a 2.6" kit)... they're virtually indestructible, and really easy to build compared to most "classic" fiberglass kits.

I agree with the great advice given thus far, and I'll add my own personal experience.

For my L1 and L2 rocket, I used Apogee's "Level 2" kit. Apogee is more expensive than many other vendors, but for my first build I wanted to take advantage of their online videos that walked me through the build steps. I built a ton of Estes LPR kits in my youth, so I wasn't a complete noob in the ways of rocket building, but my inexperience in the combination of HPR and fiberglass construction nudged me in that direction. It's a great rocket that I still fly today with confidence.

I've been in HPR and EX rocketry for over 20 years. I have only built a couple cardboard/phenolic kits. I have built many from scratch. I was looking for a 2.6" kit with a 54mm motor mount and there's a few out there but not sure what manufacture would be best. Do you have a preference? I'm sure they all have ups and downs but what are your favorites?
Wildman Mach 2

I don't think any manufacturer makes bad kits. If looking for an indestructible rocket, fiberglass or carbon fiber. Low cost? Cardboard and plywood will work. IMHO @thzero hit it: find one you like, build it, fly it.

I’ve only built cardboard LPR airframes, but this thread has me wondering- are there any fiberglass low powered rocket kits? Maybe in the D (24mm) range?

If you're hunting for a MadCow option in 3"....

Look at the Adventurer. DD on an about 7-7.5' rocket, and from what I can tell, manufactured by Wildman.

I've been surprised at this one. It is much more of a badass than I am.

54MM and it will take any motor I can put in.

Maybe not an L or K455 at our field, but it will work where there is recovery room. This is a very nice rocket, when properly assembled.

Look at the Adventurer. DD on an about 7-7.5' rocket, and from what I can tell, manufactured by Wildman.
All of the Madcow fiberglass kits are made by Wildman these days.

I'm not sure what's going on in this thread. OP asked for recommendations for 2.6" fiberglass kits, and lots of people are suggesting things that are different sizes and materials...

Anyways @fraze321 any of the Wildman or Madcow kits in your size range should be fine. If you're planning on going full send on aggressive 54mm L motors, it might be prudent to reinforce the fins, or order thicker ones. Be aware that most fiberglass kits come as just the fiberglass parts, so you do need to supply your own shock cords, parachutes, and miscellaneous hardware.

All of the Madcow fiberglass kits are made by Wildman these days.

I'm not sure what's going on in this thread. OP asked for recommendations for 2.6" fiberglass kits, and lots of people are suggesting things that are different sizes and materials...

Anyways @fraze321 any of the Wildman or Madcow kits in your size range should be fine. If you're planning on going full send on aggressive 54mm L motors, it might be prudent to reinforce the fins, or order thicker ones. Be aware that most fiberglass kits come as just the fiberglass parts, so you do need to supply your own shock cords, parachutes, and miscellaneous hardware.

I will withdraw. My suggestion was based on previous posts.

Back