What goes up... (My attempt at L2)

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I posted about wanting to put some build threads after learning with my first high powered rocket. Did some things right, a few things wrong, but in the end it was able to safely fly and I received my L1 certification. I want to use the collective experience of those out here that have been at it way longer than I have and try to learn along the way.

I will be building two rockets to take with me as I will most likely be traveling to attain my L2 certification. The rockets to be built will be a Wildman Jr. and a Giant Leap Rocketry Talon 3. I will try to update often, but as the father of an eight and six year old, sometimes rocketry is a late night adventure.

Obligatory Setup Pictures:

Setup.jpgForums.jpgAdditionalTools.jpg

Last edited:
Learned first lesson. When in doubt, fold that 80-100 grit sandpaper over on itself several times and sand the heck out of the fin slots. I had wasted time trying to smooth the edges off of the fins (luckily it was just the part that will go in the tube). Once I tried this technique, all the fins could drop all the way into the body tube easily. I have some replacement fins coming if it seems I messed them up enough. Just goes to show you to be careful.

Got the centering rings and motor tube sanded and notched for the Kevlar shock cord. Tacked it with CA and letting the JB weld for the Aeropack retainer set before mixing up the Rocketpoxy to put around the rings. Does anyone have experience with this one piece of Kevlar through the ring technique? Is it better to dual notch the front centering ring and have two pieces going up the body? I have seen this in the bigger rockets, but is it necessary in smaller ones like this?

Dryfit Tube.jpg

Tacked Tube.jpg

I'll be watching the Talon 3 build. You hardly see any Talon build threads here. Unless someone can correct me and post links.

Alexander Solis

Level 1 - Mariah 54 - CTI-I100 Red Lightning Longburn - 6,345 Feet

All Wildman rockets I have built was with one notch for the Kevlar. No problems

I haven't really had any time for the last few days, but I had a few hours tonight to start on my Talon 3. Since there was at least a little interest, I decided to document as I went.

DSC_0012.jpg

Last edited:
After scuffing up the motor tube I dry-fitted the slimline motor retainer and used some tape to tighten the fit a bit. A little JB Weld later and I checked the install with a spent H120 and casing.

DSC_0013.jpg

Next I marked off the spot for the middle centering ring and tacked and epoxied it. Then I used epoxy to glue the top two rings together and attached them to the top of the motor tubing

DSC_0015.jpg

Last edited:
After letting that set for a bit, I decided to attach the 1/4" Kevlar shock cords. Nice and simple, no knot required.
DSC_0018.jpg

Next comes the Kevlar sleeve that goes over the cord. The sleeve appears to be the same size as the shock cord. Looking for a way to stretch it out sufficiently without damaging it too much. Anyone have any experience with this?

On an unrelated note - for those who are viewing, do you prefer inline images or thumbnails attached?

...I will try to update often, but as the father of an eight and six year old, sometimes rocketry is a late night adventure.

I feel your pain. I have 5 builds in various stages sitting idle right now. Hopefully I will find time before our club launches start to finish them! :bang:

In case anyone was wondering, the thread is indeed named after the Alan Parsons song and I plan to airbrush the Eye of Osiris on the fins of one of these two rockets

After two days of softball tournaments, I finally had a few hours to sit down undisturbed and get some work done. The result was a finned booster section for the Wildman Jr. and a booster minus the fins for the Talon 3.

Full Boosters.jpg

First I placed some epoxy fillets around the centering rings and installed the motor tube into the Wildman Jr booster.

Wildman Booster.jpg

Next, I took the advice of the Talon kit instructions and whipped up a batch of Rocketpoxy, and glued the root edge of the fins after giving them a good scuffing with 100 grit and fit them into the booster slots.

Wildman One Fin.jpg

Gave it a good taping and then it was on to the Talon 3.

Wildman Taped Booster.jpg

I didn't want to stop the Talon build to take pictures, but I found a natural breaking point after I got the motor tube installed and was ready for the JB Weld around the inside of the tail cone and outside of the motor retainer.

Talon Booster Tube.jpg

After a liberal application of JB Weld, I quickly whipped up a small amount of epoxy to coat the shoulder of the Talon. After this, I fitted the tail cone onto the motor tube and cleaned as much excess epoxy off as I could with denatured alcohol. With the remaining epoxy, I fitted the final fin to the Wildman Jr and set both of them aside for the evening and a few hours of softball.

Two Pairs of fins.jpg

Our monthly launch is coming up, and I am trying to balance between being exceptionally careful and trying to get things done. Tomorrow night I will be working on the payload bays for both rockets. I will probably be trying to finish the Wildman Jr up in the next few days before the launch. I neglected to order anything other than a few larger G motors to play with and my J285 for my cert attempt. So in the interest of time, I will finish up the Wildman Jr first because I have motors that will get it off the pad (one of the many reasons I chose this kit).

There are many here who will recommend throwing away the slotted eyebolt and picking up a forged, closed eyebolt. When I had an accident with my GLR rocket, it almost straightened out the eyebolt. When I rebuilt, I went with a forged one.

https://www.grainger.com/product/Eyebolt-35Z446?functionCode=P2IDP2PCP

Enjoying your thread!

Agreed - the plain wire eye bolt could be an issue.

I have been using these stainless welded eye bolts. Cheaper, and lighter than the forged ones... LINK

$_12.JPG

Thanks for the advice and link Scott. Our local Grainger doesn't carry much and the ones from TSC are overly long and heavy, so I would have to order some. I am planning on doing just that for the Talon. Since the Wildman Jr uses that Kevlar loop technique I'm not worried about it, but will probably order extras and just replace the ones in the bulkhead too.

I use stainless u-bolts. Larger attachment point for the shock cord. Also, being able to make 2 attachment points to bulkplates should help better disperse any force incurred.

ubolt.jpg

If you have a local Grainger, you can order online and have them ship to store at no additional cost.

Latest posts

Back