Best length 1010 rail

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rsbhunter

Reaction score
Ok built the launch pad. I had bought a 96" length of 1010 rail in case I ever went to high power. I am flying a Madcow DX3 2.6" on F40-7W engine. Would a 5' or 6' be enough rail to get good launch speed? The 8' is alittle long for travel...Thanks for any help....rsbhunter

How far above the lower end of the rail will the rail buttons end up if you leave it in one piece? If you cut a piece off the rail that's a little shorter than that distance, you can join the little piece back on with the hardware they sell for rails and still have the same usable length.

I prefer 8' for HPR. 6' is marginal, would not go shorter as you really don't have much length above that upper button.

You could certainly splice two 4' sections if required. Just chamfer the edges of the slot on the upper section so they don't catch the buttons on the way up.

I only lose about a ft where the stop is for the bottom of rocket. So 7' of travel for the buttons, if I'm making any sense? I thought about making it 2 piece, but my luck isn't good when i join something that needs to bee a really smooth transition!!!!! rsbhunter

I prefer 8' for HPR. 6' is marginal, would not go shorter as you really don't have much length above that upper button.

You could certainly splice two 4' sections if required. Just chamfer the edges of the slot on the upper section so they don't catch the buttons on the way up.
The one rail I have now is 8'...I will be launching alot of mpr on e and f engines....rockets roughly 44"long.... looking for length of mpr rail...rsbhunter

That would be nice! I have roof racks, but if it was overkill, I would get a shorter one...But, no one has said it is to long, so I'll go with what I have!! Thanks for all of the replies...rsbhunter

Ok built the launch pad. I had bought a 96" length of 1010 rail in case I ever went to high power. I am flying a Madcow DX3 2.6" on F40-7W engine. Would a 5' or 6' be enough rail to get good launch speed? The 8' is alittle long for travel...Thanks for any help....rsbhunter

https://www.thrustcurve.org/motors/guide.html

The sims will tell you if the guide length is sufficient.

The one rail I have now is 8'...I will be launching alot of mpr on e and f engines....rockets roughly 44"long.... looking for length of mpr rail...rsbhunter
Typically our clubs MPR 1010 rails are about 6' OAL, we do have a few 7' ( 8' that have had the bottom 12" cut off due to sparky damage), and our Mini and Micro rails are 5' as well. MPR needs about 48" effective rail length in many cases. One option for you is to get a shorter rail and use some short sections with splice plates if you need longer thats how our club gets a12' 1515 rail we use an 8 and a 4 joined with splice plates on 3 sides (of course on the 1515 we do have support for the back of the rail up 10').

Typically our clubs MPR 1010 rails are about 6' OAL, we do have a few 7' ( 8' that have had the bottom 12" cut off due to sparky damage), and our Mini and Micro rails are 5' as well. MPR needs about 48" effective rail length in many cases. One option for you is to get a shorter rail and use some short sections with splice plates if you need longer thats how our club gets a12' 1515 rail we use an 8 and a 4 joined with splice plates on 3 sides (of course on the 1515 we do have support for the back of the rail up 10').
Awesome, thanks for the info, I'll go with the 8'er. rsbhunter

I have an 8' 1010 rail for my personal launch pad. I was able to transport it in my old Chevy Cobalt by sliding it through the trunk pass-through (passenger side) up to the dash board. Worked like a charm...

I have an 8' 1010 rail for my personal launch pad. I was able to transport it in my old Chevy Cobalt by sliding it through the trunk pass-through (passenger side) up to the dash board. Worked like a charm...
I can get a 9 foot 2X6 into my Honda Fit. It goes from the right front foot well to the left side of the hatch window. Best not drop the clutch too hard or the window might break.

I have a 4runner with roof rack so it won't be a problem. I'll just wrap the rack rail in pipe foam insulation and bungee the rail to it. With a 6'er, I could have fit it inside easily...Thank you for all the help, rsbhunter

I have a 4runner with roof rack so it won't be a problem. I'll just wrap the rack rail in pipe foam insulation and bungee the rail to it. With a 6'er, I could have fit it inside easily...Thank you for all the help, rsbhunter
I keep both my rails (6&8 ft.) in pvc pipe. Permanant cap on one end and screw on cap on the other.

I have two 4' lengths of 1010 rail and one 6' length. You connect them with these (Amazon) - PZRT 4-Pack 2020 Series Aluminum Profile Straight Line Connector,Length 3.9 Inch Bracket Fastener with M5 Screw,for T Slot 6mm Aluminum Extrusion Profile Connect Parts

I use the 6' length when I only fly MPR, and combine the different lengths to have either 8' or 10' when I fly HPR, depending on what I am flying and how windy it is.

Cut your 8 footer into 2 four foot lengths and use the connectors above.

I don't mind paying for a 6' piece, or I could probably cut this one to 6'. I don't have any place to launch hpr, within 120 miles. So I'll just stick with the 8'er for now, but I appreciate all the help and links...rsbhunter

Excellent idea!!!! Keep I from possible damage!!! Thanks...rsbhunter
I used 2" schedule 40 because I have a 1/2" solid rod attached to the 1010 rails for adapting to my launch pad. 1-1/2" might work for you. I also keep all launch rods in pvc pipe. Can't think of a better way to store them

LR storage.JPG

Back