How long should I make my 1010 rail for launch platform?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BigMacDaddy

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
Ok, I know that question is a bit like what type of glue should I use but...

I am largely a park flyer and need to rebuild my launch platform setup. I have been using a 6' piece of 20mm rail for larger rockets but recently bought a 12' piece of 1010 (1" rail).

My dilemma: should I cut an 8' piece of 1010 rail or can I get away with a 6' piece. Benefit of doing 6' lengths is I can get 2x 6' launch rails from the single $65 12' piece of rail I bought (not much to do with the leftover 4' piece of rail if I do an 8' rail). Obviously benefit of the 8' rail would be the ability to launch larger rockets and great runway / rocket stability. It is also a bit harder to put an 8' rail in the car and in and out of the house and 8' rail may be a bit more prone to tipping over the stand if I don't stake it down.

I have been using the current setup for a couple of years but finally whacked it on something and broke one of the 3D printed frame parts.
1695733948448.png

Two Stage IRIS is currently the largest rocket I am planning to launch. 68'5" and 650g w/o engines. It should be moving pretty fast off either a 6' or 8' rail due to 3x D12 engines in booster.
1695734707550.png

They make joiners to attach 2 rails together. I have used them. You can use 3, one in each rail side that is not being used for buttons. Then you can have a 6' rail, and 8' or 12' rail to extend.

For park flying (no HPR, < 3.3lbs), unless you're pushing the limits of thrust-to-weight, 6' should be plenty, IMHO. An 8' rail probably needs a more robust stand. When in doubt, run a simulation!

8' of rail gives you a lot of room to work, but I understand the practical considerations. I'd make the main piece as long as will fit in your transportation.
Concur. 12 or 16 feet on 1010, does not add much. Well, unless you need that length.

I have a 5/16" rod that has a usable length of 66". That's worked well for up to a G80 and 3.3 lbs.

I'd buy an 8 ft rail if I were you.

I wound up making it 8' -- guess the extra 4' piece of 1010 rail will be for home defense ;)

I actually built a new launch platform around one of the light stands I have been using (it seems quite sturdy so far).

I wound up making it 8' -- guess the extra 4' piece of 1010 rail will be for home defense ;)

I actually built a new launch platform around one of the light stands I have been using (it seems quite sturdy so far).
It would work well for home defense, but it might need comfort handles 3d printed.

Back