My first rail launch rig

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I thought I had good ideas on tripod launch stands but after looking at what you guys are coming up with puts my ideas to shame. Some really good ideas and designs in here.

I thought I had good ideas on tripod launch stands but after looking at what you guys are coming up with puts my ideas to shame. Some really good ideas and designs in here.
Don't beat yourself up. You've done good. Designing it for three-foot sections will make it much easier to transport, and you can always add on a couple more feet if needed. Just be sure the sections are aligned and that there aren't any snags to eat up your rail buttons. Maybe chamfer them a bit?

Warning: Stupid Newb Question ahead.

I'm just about done with my pad (I'll post pics when done), but what do you use as a 'stop' on a 1010 rail for the rocket to hold it up off the blast deflector? Is there a time-tested approved method? Or just a 1/2" carriage bolt with a spacer for the rocket to rest on, or something with a flat so as to not dent the tube of a heavier rocket?

I'm just about done with my pad (I'll post pics when done), but what do you use as a 'stop' on a 1010 rail for the rocket to hold it up off the blast deflector? Is there a time-tested approved method? Or just a 1/2" carriage bolt with a spacer for the rocket to rest on, or something with a flat so as to not dent the tube of a heavier rocket?
Personally, I just used a 1010 90deg fitting. Nice little "shelf" for it to sit on.

I just use a 1010 T-nut and 20mm long threaded hex spacer. However, I’ve also used a hex head bolt with the head in the 1010 slot and a hex nut on the outside.

I thought I’d share this since I’m quite pleased with the outcome. Feedback, suggestions, and criticism is welcome. I’ve never seen in person (let alone used) a rail pad before, so I might’ve done something horribly wrong.

I wanted portable (easy to throw in a trunk), an option for slower launches (longer rail), and as cheap as reasonable.

I used three sections of 1010 3’ long, with slide-in connectors. Along with a cheap, but very beefy and strong speaker stand from Amazon. Can be set up and torn down in about a minute, and the pieces can be thrown easily into a trunk.

I could launch on rail sizes 3’ (lol), 6’, or 9’.

All in, I think I’m a bit under $100.

EDIT: I know there's no blast deflector yet. I still need to add one. :)

Pepsi can for scale:
View attachment 577794

Curly,

Where did you find the nice inside four hole brackets to lock the rail sections together.. ??
All I have found are ones that attach outside. They work but are not as slick and neat looking.

Glasspack494662-dd8d6e1418d3ff259bb44823dd67a35a.jpg

Finished my speaker stand-style pad and I found my rail was too unsupported to my liking, so I put the extension post back in the speaker stand and installed additional support fasteners, using a plastic washer to make up for the difference in diameter between the main and extension tubes of the speaker stand. I also locked down the position of the attaching bolts with a nut against the rail to ease in set-up as the bolts will always align with the holes in the speaker stand posts. Now the 6' rail is rock solid.
IMG_20230530_155336.jpg

Back