What did you do rocket wise today?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Glued on false rivet-or-bolt heads to the fins and door of the smurf rocket. These are just balsa punches painted with Testor's "Flat Steel".
IMG_2194.JPG
All that's left to do on this rocket is to glue on rail guides. I just have to remember to raise them to account for the "strapping" around the nose cone.

Epoxy run to the local hobby shop today. The kit is supposed to arrive tomorrow, so why not prepare? One video I watched said to not use epoxy in under 70 degree weather as it might never fully bond. Whether that's true or not, attaining 70 degrees here will pose no problem whatsoever. Let the epoxy flow like wine!!

IMG_9385.JPG

Haven't done anything rocketry-wise in probably two months now. Health/medical issues have been keeping me down to a point where I just don't feel like hanging out in my shop doing ANYTHING that isn't 100% necessary! Have my Estes V2 ready for primer, but it's just sitting there collecting dust. Have my AeroTech ARCAS HV ready for its first flight, but it also is just sitting collecting dust! I also have a pile of kits to build so large that I'm out of room, and could probably last me until I'm 110-years old, but they're just collecting dust!

Gotta get my arse back in gear and build/fly some stuff!!!

Put the last set of fillets on my WM 5" Lance and 2.6" Goblin. Next step; sanding and paint... Lots of rockets to paint. I farmed two out to a friend (thanks a bunch!), but now I still have seven!!! to paint. :eek:🤪 Maybe flying nekid would be the way to go. And maybe the rockets too... :angiefavorite:

Before I started ground testing for deployment, I wanted to make sure I wasn't in for any surprises. So I "free air" tested an excessive charge (3.5 grams of 4F instead of a reasonable 2 grams) and decided I won't use plastic caps on the canisters. They make pretty good "projectiles", and while the "laundry" will probably slow them down, I'm not going to take the chance.
View attachment 3.5grams-Free Air.MOV
3.5 grams Debris.JPGPlastic Cap Projectiles.JPG

Sounds neurological too me (OR/ER experience). A bit late to have a white cell count done, an elevated level may have indicated seizures. Get a checkup and a neuro exam if you can.

I've had a few unexplained seizures in the past and afterwards you want to look for the truck that hit you. Sore all over.
I went to quick care. They sent me to the ER. After hours waiting on test results the word was I'm normal. I'll see a Neurologist as soon as I can get an appointment.

Nearly finished the Two-up instructions - just a couple of illustrations and some basic clustering notes to go.

Checked some laser cut fins I'd signed off on. Grain direction is wrong. Totally my own fault, but that puts the Two-Up release date back even further.

Threw some Rusto 2X at the Yalga. The red is nice, the white... not so nice. A slight nozzle problem, so I can see more sanding in my future.

Last edited:
Just finished making flash cards, started studying for my L2 exam. Torn between the “Keep it low, go easy”, school of thought and the DRD4 mentality of “Stick it on the Dark Side of the Moon”.

Excellent weather on Saturday at our low-altitude launch site.

Flew a bunch of 4" dia rockets. First flight of a CTI 29mm reload casing with G83. Tested a Runcam2. Two Flightsketch mini's. 2-stage Tomahawk cruise missile on E12, which had horizontal ignition of the sustainer, located 1/4 mile away. Drag raced Goblin and Red Max. Some other nice launches.

DSC_0009_SMALL.jpg

army4runcam1.png

army4runcam2.png

zeus1.png

202238923_331688511777992_6567627040857746810_n.jpg

Last edited:
Just finished making flash cards, started studying for my L2 exam. Torn between the “Keep it low, go easy”, school of thought and the DRD4 mentality of “Stick it on the Dark Side of the Moon”.

Why not do both? Level 2 - build 2 rockets. Gives you twice the chance of succeeding on your chosen day. Of course, when you get to Level 3, that could start getting expensive....

Why not do both? Level 2 - build 2 rockets. Gives you twice the chance of succeeding on your chosen day. Of course, when you get to Level 3, that could start getting expensive....
Oh I’m definitely going to send one for a Personal Best, just don’t know if it will be my L2 certificate flight or the flight right after.

Sadly, because of a variety of factors that I won't go into, the HPR rocket kit made it to my front lobby but not to me, so it was taken back for re-delivery. When they attempted delivery I was literally sitting about 20 feet away. Oh well. I told them to leave it at a distribution center about a mile away, so hopefully I can pick it up this week still. Sigh.

I don't know if that dismal failure contributed to this impulse purchase, but a local hobby shop had a small scale model of a Long March 2F and for some reason I had to buy it. This rocket launched many of the Shenzhou missions. In the background sits a Shenzhou capsule from the LPR rocket kit that I built over a year ago (there is a walrus on the opposite side of the 2F). Maybe I just needed to get a rocket today and decided to settle for this one? It does have some pretty intense detail.

IMG_9386.JPG

Last edited:
Yesterday I put the airframe section for my Vertical Trajectory System into the mill and cut some holes for the display, camera and antenna connections. The edges were treated with CA glue (to keep stray glass fibers under control) and I will complete the job tonight of cleaning up the edges. There are some other holes I think I should fill and that might happen today also.

I spent the weekend in Sioux Falls for my Daughters birthday....Took her and My Wife to see Foreigner in concert and .... Found a HobbyTown Store.
RD-ES2437.jpgs-l1600.jpg

Bought a Estes 1/200th Scale Saturn V Model to put on display in my rocket room. And a nice two stage kit called Savage !!
I cant even find that Savage kit #2437 on the Estes Web Site..... Must be an older Kit.

Received my resin print for my pitot-static tube interface mount. Had to clean out the holes to correct size using drills (1mm, 2mm, 4mm), although the printed holes help guide me along. Added the pitot tube to it. Carefully applied CA glue to the inner tube with a toothpick for sealing. Still have to use some wick-in CA on the front edge of the print as I don't want any pesky dynamic pressure getting into my static manifold :eek:. For scale the tube is 4mm diameter and the holes in the side are 0.8mm diameter.
PitotAssembledResin.jpg

Next up will be a leak-check and get it mounted to the airframe.

BTW, background is the brim of my Akubra hat ;).

Last edited:
Epoxy run to the local hobby shop today... Whether that's true or not, attaining 70 degrees here will pose no problem whatsoever.
Bear it mind that when the temperature is a bunch higher, the cure time is less than what's printed on the bottle.

Gotta get my arse back in gear and build/fly some stuff!!!
Start small.

Maybe flying nekid would be the way to go.
When there's a club launch coming up, I've been known to get a base coat on and fly'm "in their underwear".

Here are your blue stripes I didn't know how to do the crowns.
Decals.

Torn between the “Keep it low, go easy”, school of thought and the DRD4 mentality of “Stick it on the Dark Side of the Moon”.
Considering that bringing the rocket back is a key requirement, I'd go with low and easy.

2-stage Tomahawk cruise missile on E12, which had horizontal ignition of the sustainer, located 1/4 mile away.
That's why I'll never build a cruise missile model. It just seems like tempting fate.

This was Saturday, but launched for the first time in 2 years. 2 up, 2 broken.
Standard ARM came in ballistic due to using an old motor. Chuffed, and had bonus delay despite having drilled it to minimize the bonus.
3" Starship Vega broke a leg on landing. Landed in mud while traveling sideways. I didn't notice it right away so I don't have the piece. Now I have to remember how I built it so I can start repairs. I think it will be saved for better conditions in the future....

I finished this rocket about a week ago. It has taken a week to get over some mystery sickness that started last Friday. Let me preface the rest of the story with I don't drink. I was in Vegas for a couple of hours midday Friday. I was at a light ready to get on the highway. That was the last thing I remember for about 20 minutes. I stopped to get gas. As I was pulling out onto the road I blacked out again for about 45 minutes. I remember looking at the side of the highway where a high speed chase had ended. Blacked out again for about another 20 minutes. I remember looking at the clock at 3:45 and thinking that I had forgotten to stop at BMS to pick up an order. The next ting I remember was looking at the clock at 10:30 and going to bed. I had multiple attacks of vertigo Fri, Sat and Sunday. Slept from Fri to Sunday afternoon. I just started to feel better yesterday. I'm at about 75% of normal today. Anybody have any idea what happened to me?
The rocket is a 3", 75" long, weighs 85 ounces with the chutes. It is dual deploy and has a 54mm mmt. All the red is paint. I wrapped 4 pieces around the tube and cut out the squares. I sprayed the area to be made red with the white base coat to seal the tape edges. It was the first time I've done that and it worked great. Used the same technique on the fins roll pattern. I'm calling this one Victor.View attachment 470187View attachment 470188
Love the fins and the whole rocket. Different. Victory on your maiden flight.

I finally finished my BT20 Alien Interceptor today. I got the decals in the mail today since some were missing. It must be a very difficult thing to pack up a fiberglass kit. So far I have started 7 kits and all 7 have had missing parts. The remaining 21 non fiberglass kits I've started have had all the parts. Three of the seven were from mach1's old management. The new crew has replaced everything at no cost. I have a feeling the new Mach1 is going to be better. 20210628_212549.jpg

Latest posts

Back