What did you do rocket wise today?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Actually I hadn't noticed it was very banged up until you mentioned it, considering it came as far as it did. I get packages in far worse shape fairly often. This was just a small dent, nothing broken. :cheers:

It's a new box for us as the Apanina has a longer single body tube than our other current kits. Others are longer overall, but use a coupler. Might have to look at a double wall box...

I grabbed a copy of your pics which I will send through to the PO when they send their usual 'give some feedback' email. Glad there's no damage. Now, enjoy the build!

Except for one last fit test, version 2 of my 3d printed 38mm launch tower design is done. It prints on a 180x180mm bed. Like my last version, it uses EMT as the main launch guides and a couple pieces of extruded L aluminum for support. It slides onto a standard launch tower.

I bought the parts to make a 5' tower, so construction starts soon. Once it's done, I'll share it on Thingiverse & post in the "Let's see your launch towers!" thread.

Screen Shot 2021-03-30 at 9.44.18 PM.png

Last edited:
Actually yesterday.
Finished assembly of the Aggressor Aerospace CZ-1.
All the fiddly bits are on.
Two mods.
Installed a Semroc baffle.
Installed a bolt, wing nut and disk for retention of the 4 x 18 mm cluster motors.
No build thread, it's an easy one or two day build cuz it's 3D printed plus cardboard tubes.
Easy, but looks great.
0331210600[1].jpg

The bolt is long cuz the motors stick out the rear a good 5/8 inch.
Instructions say this is important to prevent any scorching of the rear end.
Look at the triangular blocks overhanging the rear end, you can see how they could easily be scorched if they got too close to the nozzles.
0331210617[1].jpg

Cheers.

Finally finished up the fin can on my 7.5" LOC/Precision Door Knob. Although a bit past the 'expiration date' the RocketPoxy is doing well for some of the joints. I'm starting to really enjoy working with West Systems Epoxy, very easy to work with and doesn't smell as bad as others. Next step will be to insert the can into the aft end and glue that up. I'm keeping the fins leading edges square as I loose 44 meters from not rounding them off. The lower the better!
IMG_0015.JPGIMG_0016.JPG

Mark!

Decided I would repair my goblin that core sampled after its 10th flight do to the kevlar snapping. I was thinking about changing the elastic before the flight, but I guess I was looking at the wrong end. Anyway, some yellow paint and the goblin will fly again!20210323_203509.jpg
It's no beauty anymore, but it has at least one more flight in it.

Started a new kit, my first Mach1 kit. Kinda did it since I have not started anything new this month. Unfortunately it is short the alien head decals. Bummer cause they kinda tie the whole thing together. Just gave the fiberglass a bath and am calling it a day. 20210331_215941.jpg

Today I built a 3" dual deploy rocket. I'll prime it tomorrow. Painted the grid fins. Put color on my kinda oddroc and replaced the upper tube on a Mean Machine for MR. SnappyTurtle that came back ballistic on Sunday.

Attachments

• 20210401_013515[339].jpg
    20210401_013515[339].jpg
    143.8 KB · Views: 7
Although I can offer no guarantees .... here is my latest two .ORK simulations for my level two ship the 7.5" LOC/Precision Doorknob. The simulations should come attached with the engines I simulated with for my Level two. These engines are all focused towards the highest velocity off the rod and lowest altitude. I've included two different simulations one for 38mm and one for 54mm for both AT and CTI engines. I still consider this a work in progress . . . but it should be close to 95% complete. Any feedback would be greatly appreciated. This is my first 'by scratch' rocket simulation file. I just received a 30 day license for the Apogee simulator, I'll see how they compare!

Mark!

Attachments

• 38mm_loc 7_5_door_knob_level_2.ork
    484.7 KB · Views: 2
  • 54mm_loc 7_5_door_knob_level_2.ork
    242.7 KB · Views: 0
Started a new kit, my first Mach1 kit. Kinda did it since I have not started anything new this month. Unfortunately it is short the alien head decals. Bummer cause they kinda tie the whole thing together. Just gave the fiberglass a bath and am calling it a day. View attachment 457865
You might reach out to Ian at Mach 1, they have been working hard to satisfy customer issues before the grand re-opening...

More progress today on my Outlander scratch build.
Almost ready to glue the few remaining dry-fit parts, then on to decals.
Scale is 1:1 on nearly all parts as referenced in the Estes kit instructions.
I 3D-printed the body cone, nose cone, and engine nozzle assembly from files posted on Thingiverse, and fabricated a few other parts in TinkerCAD as well.

My thanks to @mach7 for replying to several scale-related questions pertaining to his Outlander.

Outlander_01_April_2021.png

Finally got some time to do something rocketry related. Received my Naze32 flight controller (full version with magnetometer and baro) the other day and managed to get the antenna tracker firmware programmed into it today.
FYI, information here:
https://github.com/raul-ortega/u360gtshttps://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?2964122-u360gts-360°-antenna-tracker
Next up will be to get that onto the pan-tilt platform and then generate some simulated test data to feed it to see if it works.

Since it's been yet another sleepless night, I ended up glueing all 4 fins on my V2 build, and got started on the fillets. The sun will start to show it's face in about 20 minutes, so I'm getting close to bedtime.... <sigh>

Back