Quantcast

What did you do rocket wise today?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

Nytrunner

Pop lugs, not drugs
Reaction score
Next item in my foray with small competition kits, the stageable Spek altitude model by Apogee. Ive been doing little bits of part prep while the Astron explorer dried, and started building in earnest this morning during virtual church lol.

Neat little rocket. It has a configurable paylaod bay that can either be nose and transition alone, or have a tube installed for a longer altimeter. Has some neat buildability features too, like laser etched fin lines and an included jig

20200920_113822.jpg

jeffjblack

Reaction score
After range testing the LILYGO TTGO LORA32 915Mhz ESP32 boards on the ground, next we test them on my Maximum Ultra rocket. See them maintain communication thoughout the flight, up to the landing.
#LILYGO #TTGO #LORA32 #915Mhz #ESP32

OverTheTop

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
Thought about what a bummer year I've had for rocketry. I haven't built a single kit and I haven't attended a single launch.
I have had a couple of bad years for launching (18/19) with not many flights due to a lot of factors. Scheduling clashes, weather, crops, muddy roads, just to name a few. 2019 was just a single high-power launch (but a big one). This year has been a single D motor so far. Let's hope next year is better.

Get cracking on that L1 bird :). What are you looking at building?

MALBAR 70

More Rockets Than Room
TRF Supporter
Reaction score
Found an Estes RTF Patriot starter set circa 2007 for ten bucks at a flea market.
I don't realy need another controller or Portapad, but I didn't have that particular rocket so.......

prfesser

Lifetime Supporter
TRF Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
Found an Estes RTF Patriot starter set circa 2007 for ten bucks at a flea market.
I don't realy need another controller or Portapad, but I didn't have that particular rocket so.......
Ya done good, boy!

My highest level of praise. Lotsa students never realized that when I gave back exams. Some might have thought I was making fun, when I was acknowledging superior performance. Which was so rarely observed... :(

No worries, next life (in a few million million octillion years?) I'll be more careful communicating.

Best -- Terry

ewomack

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
Get cracking on that L1 bird :). What are you looking at building?
I have been scrutinizing the Madcow Super DX3 because it looks like it would make a good L1 and L2 kit. Plus, I would like to play around with payloads and I'm seeing a lot of options for big payloads with that rocket. To be honest, that's all that I've looked at so far. Is should probably look around more. But hopefully further reading, which I can do in the coming months of internal hibernation, will turn up additional options.

heada

Reaction score
Build an av-bay for a 2.6in AMRAAM with an Eggtimer Quark and a 2S 400mAh battery. Should be good for LPR G up to HPR I flights.

o1d_dude

'I battle gravity'
TRF Supporter
Reaction score
More work on the Astron XL.

Unpacked a crushed box (Thanks, UPS...NOT!) containing my two Estes Mini A Heli kits that were fortunately undamaged. They are tiny. Have never done heli recovery so this should be a learning experience which is why I ordered two.

Joekeyo

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
Saturday's launch was cancelled due to range flooding. Not enough to damage property. Not unusual for late rainy season in Florida. I ordered an Orbital Transport kit to have something to do in the next 30 days while I wait for the October launch.

Joekeyo

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
Michielssen was right. On the MR build, when you think you are done masking, there is a lot more to do.

I think I have it mostly right.

Strong winds are predicted for today and tomorrow. No painting, so there is plenty of time to recheck the masking job.

I am using the expensive tape for hard lines and the blue tape for fill. I will put a bag over most of the booster

20200921_133350.jpg

heada

Reaction score
Masked off a Black Brant X and shot it with color only to realize that the bottom red/black joints don't line up right so I'll have to sand it down and redo the entire aft end.

Nytrunner

Pop lugs, not drugs
Reaction score
Structure of the Spek is all together. Now need to hook up harness and fold the streamer (at least there's no balancing like a duration model). Should probably do some sims to see what the rough altitudes will be with a Firefly or Flightsketch in the nose. Since the 1/2A has a lousy delay time, maximum weight reduction may not be necessary.

Staged and single configs with short and extended payload sections

20200921_202538.jpg
20200921_202719.jpg

And piece weights
20200921_202137.jpg20200921_202234.jpg20200921_202251.jpg20200921_202311.jpg20200921_202345.jpg

o1d_dude

'I battle gravity'
TRF Supporter
Reaction score
Glued the AstronXL boat tail to the motor mount and sleeved the kevlar shock cord with heat shrink tubing where ti crosses the end of the body tube.

Primed the tube ring stop for the 29mm motor adapter of my LaserLOC 163. Side note, my Sawzall would not make the rattlecan ball move but I was able to do so by shaking the can by hand. Weird.

Heard from Ian at Badass Rocketry that my building guides had been shipped. Ordered two BT60 guides for 1/8” thick fins for my AstronXL. One in three fins and the other in four fins for other rockets. Ian does nice work...I recommend him.