What did you do rocket wise today?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
After range testing the LILYGO TTGO LORA32 915Mhz ESP32 boards on the ground, next we test them on my Maximum Ultra rocket. See them maintain communication thoughout the flight, up to the landing.
#LILYGO #TTGO #LORA32 #915Mhz #ESP32

Thought about what a bummer year I've had for rocketry. I haven't built a single kit and I haven't attended a single launch.
I have had a couple of bad years for launching (18/19) with not many flights due to a lot of factors. Scheduling clashes, weather, crops, muddy roads, just to name a few. 2019 was just a single high-power launch (but a big one). This year has been a single D motor so far. Let's hope next year is better.

Get cracking on that L1 bird :). What are you looking at building?

Found an Estes RTF Patriot starter set circa 2007 for ten bucks at a flea market.
I don't realy need another controller or Portapad, but I didn't have that particular rocket so.......
Ya done good, boy!

My highest level of praise. Lotsa students never realized that when I gave back exams. Some might have thought I was making fun, when I was acknowledging superior performance. Which was so rarely observed... :(

No worries, next life (in a few million million octillion years?) I'll be more careful communicating.

Best -- Terry

Get cracking on that L1 bird :). What are you looking at building?

I have been scrutinizing the Madcow Super DX3 because it looks like it would make a good L1 and L2 kit. Plus, I would like to play around with payloads and I'm seeing a lot of options for big payloads with that rocket. To be honest, that's all that I've looked at so far. Is should probably look around more. But hopefully further reading, which I can do in the coming months of internal hibernation, will turn up additional options.

More work on the Astron XL.

Unpacked a crushed box (Thanks, UPS...NOT!) containing my two Estes Mini A Heli kits that were fortunately undamaged. They are tiny. Have never done heli recovery so this should be a learning experience which is why I ordered two.

Finally was able to get pyramid painted. Used Testors color shift paint and primer. Got the inspiration for the colors from the alien ship in the "Stargate" movie. Still deciding if I want to add some surface details or leave well enough alone.
Pyramid #1.jpgPyramid #2.jpg

Stargate ship.jpg

Attachments

• Pyramid #4.jpg
    Pyramid #4.jpg
    131.5 KB · Views: 2
  • Pyramid #3.jpg
    Pyramid #3.jpg
    125.1 KB · Views: 1
Saturday's launch was cancelled due to range flooding. Not enough to damage property. Not unusual for late rainy season in Florida. I ordered an Orbital Transport kit to have something to do in the next 30 days while I wait for the October launch.

Michielssen was right. On the MR build, when you think you are done masking, there is a lot more to do.

I think I have it mostly right.

Strong winds are predicted for today and tomorrow. No painting, so there is plenty of time to recheck the masking job.

I am using the expensive tape for hard lines and the blue tape for fill. I will put a bag over most of the booster

20200921_133350.jpg

Masked off a Black Brant X and shot it with color only to realize that the bottom red/black joints don't line up right so I'll have to sand it down and redo the entire aft end.

Structure of the Spek is all together. Now need to hook up harness and fold the streamer (at least there's no balancing like a duration model). Should probably do some sims to see what the rough altitudes will be with a Firefly or Flightsketch in the nose. Since the 1/2A has a lousy delay time, maximum weight reduction may not be necessary.

Staged and single configs with short and extended payload sections

20200921_202538.jpg20200921_202719.jpg

And piece weights
20200921_202137.jpg20200921_202234.jpg20200921_202251.jpg20200921_202311.jpg20200921_202345.jpg

Glued the AstronXL boat tail to the motor mount and sleeved the kevlar shock cord with heat shrink tubing where ti crosses the end of the body tube.

Primed the tube ring stop for the 29mm motor adapter of my LaserLOC 163. Side note, my Sawzall would not make the rattlecan ball move but I was able to do so by shaking the can by hand. Weird.

Heard from Ian at Badass Rocketry that my building guides had been shipped. Ordered two BT60 guides for 1/8” thick fins for my AstronXL. One in three fins and the other in four fins for other rockets. Ian does nice work...I recommend him.

Ah, would that I had one to support.

And isn’t that sad? I was talking with an older fellow at said hobby shop (possibly the owner), and commented on how hard it must be – he has a tremendous and expensive inventory of everything RC (planes/heli’s/drones, cars/trucks), trains, die-cast; plastic model kits, science kits and good toys/educational stuff for kids – and ROCKETS!!! – Estes, Fliskits and others (I found a Der Red Max kit in the back of a hangar, that was really tempting!), even parts like body tubes, engine mounts, centering rings, nose cones; and plenty of A-E engines from Estes and some Aerotech/Quest. He has a great inventory for the scratch builder of anything, lots of balsa and basswood and hobby ply; brass, steel and aluminum shapes, plast-struct shapes, and so on – tools, too, and plenty of finishing products for modelers, like weathering compounds and the like. You can buy decal paper there, for instance. And then the cost of a retail outparcel and store operation to boot – unlike an e-business, his inventory has to be kept looking nice, and so on. I don’t know what an e-store’s loss rate is, but in retail stuff can grow legs and walk out the door, stuff gets dropped and broken, etc… He has trains set up, a small slot car track, and so on – and now coronavirus restrictions; he was closed for a while, of course, and had to retain his employees, who are also enthusiasts and know how to do repairs, what parts you need, and so on. And then like he says, his suppliers are his competitors! It’s so rare these days to have such a resource where you can browse, put your hands on something and turn it over, etc. I’m not bashing the e-stores, I’ve ordered from them when he doesn’t have stuff, but man, when it comes to “retail therapy” you can’t beat that place. The only reason I’m not broke from going in there is I’m not retired yet and know danged well I don’t have time to pursue all the fun stuff I peruse!

Last edited:
Back