What did you do rocket wise today?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
What did I do? Finished up the ACME Rocket Laucher! (except for decal touch up and protective clear spray). It's not wired properly for clusters yet, I just figured I' light'em all up for the grandkids! Box made from 1/2" birch faced plywood.

View attachment 419285
View attachment 419286View attachment 419287View attachment 419288View attachment 419289View attachment 419290
Not exactly portable. Especially with a car battery.. Any chance you swap out the battery with something smaller. Or do you want to thrill the grand kids with High Power. Just wondering....definitely the bright lights will keep them interested

Oh, it's easy to carry, that's just a lawn tractor battery. Overall box is about 10" x 10" x 10". Low power or not I go with 12 Volts. And definitely, I want to have the overwhelming probability of ignition if I get to to a 3 engine cluster.

Today 4 June 2020, I had my 2nd launch day in over 6 years, (1st was 2 weeks ago). I launch Big Berta on a B6-4, beautiful flight almost straight up and a nice slow descent on my 8" chute, (plastic bag) landed 10 feet behind me (amazing) excerpt she crack a fin, she landed nice and slow....2 fins now have crack, will re-glue. Estes AMRAAM, C6-5, flew toward back of field and left, lost track of it at end. Did not hear ejection pop. Did not see descent. After looking around,finally found it on my way back to pad.....landed back of field, in the middle. (thank you, Lord). Perfect skies, are not perfect for tracking, rather have a dark overcast sky, my eyesight stinks. Quest Icarus on C6-5, , no launch, pull igniter -broken, damn I hate losing a igniter-old pyrogen ones. Had usual issue with Estes controller, had to bend the 1 "AA:" battery contact. When I got home, jimmied it with a broken contact from the controller I took apart. So today is a success after 1 week of too much wind in NJ.

Oh, it's easy to carry, that's just a lawn tractor battery. Overall box is about 10" x 10" x 10". Low power or not I go with 12 Volts. And definitely, I want to have the overwhelming probability of ignition if I get to to a 3 engine cluster.
Oh, picture made it look like a reg car battery. Box size is the size of a car battery, not so big,good luck when done

Another launch. This time at Bud's Field next to where I-80 meets I-29. I've known about the place since I was a kid, but was never actually out there until today. A bit of a lower key launch because of the breeze. The 150% Hawk flew well again until it lost an argument with a hurricane fence.

Actually from a couple of days ago... knee surgery yesterday and just goofing off today.
Sculpting (sanding) the fairing for a camera window in the Av Bay/Coupler cover on my 5" Intimidator Level 3 project.
A Hero Session will be looking out horizontally through a 38x3mm Edmund Optics window. Figured it might be a little less "draggy" if I did a little contouring. The other side is a Additive Aerospace housing for a down looking Mobius Maxi.

1591295709273.png

🤣 Don't forget in the original "Duck Dodgers in the 24th & 1/2 Century", Duck Dodgers has his rocket in reverse when he attempts to take off, and he ends up with only tip of the nose cone sticking out of the ground! Those cartoons and Peanuts pretty much defined my childhood, best stuff ever. The only thing that I've know to ever come close since (and it is in a class by itself as well) is the truly great "Calvin & Hobbes". .... <stunned realization> Oh good glory! I'm out of sides and no Spaceman Spiff! Blast it all!
+1 on the Spaceman Spiff reference.

Actually from a couple of days ago... knee surgery yesterday and just goofing off today.
Sculpting (sanding) the fairing for a camera window in the Av Bay/Coupler cover on my 5" Intimidator Level 3 project.
A Hero Session will be looking out horizontally through a 38x3mm Edmund Optics window. Figured it might be a little less "draggy" if I did a little contouring. The other side is a Additive Aerospace housing for a down looking Mobius Maxi.

View attachment 419319
Are you making a custom mount for the Hero?

Another launch. This time at Bud's Field next to where I-80 meets I-29. I've known about the place since I was a kid, but was never actually out there until today. A bit of a lower key launch because of the breeze. The 150% Hawk flew well again until it lost an argument with a hurricane fence.
Doug, is Holverson Design, no longer in Business?

Are you making a custom mount for the Hero?
Not really...
I bought one of the "aftermarket" aluminum GoPro bases off eBay and made it so it could be attached to an aft bulkhead in the Av Bay. Then I used a couple of the GoPro "hinge" mounts together so the Hero could be raised and lowered ("goosenecked") to center it in the window. Using 10-32 hex head bolts instead of their thumbscrews due to lack of space.

I was able to get some more painting done on 4 different kits. I also received my Trivecta 318, dry fit the parts and made a sim file. The build will start soon, I'll just need to decide if my almost MD Electron or the Trivecta will be next.

Attachments

• Trivecta 318.ork
    2.2 KB · Views: 5
[
Try Roger Ramjet.

Personally, I just never got Calvin and Hobbs. Probably because I was never a child.
Oh, that's rough. I've never NOT been a child! Calvin's hyperactive, can't pay attention in school fantasy world is really hilarious. complete with an imaginary tiger friend to act as a conscience/comic foil; a baby sitter that he's scare witless of; a class bully, a love/hate "girlfriend", Suzy Derkins - to me it's really a great comprehensive childhood strip, obviously exaggerated.

Now with Roger Ramjet thrown in there... what about George Jetson? Glory, I need an octagonal box!

Calvin and Hobbs was/is awesome. Only second to anything by Berkley Breathed... Now when Breathed and Waterson combine to make a comic, OH BOY!!! those are hilarious... Usually around April 1st...

Anyhow to keep this on topic, I still haven't been able to do any rocketry stuff. All my free time away from work has been devoted to helping my brother get crops put in and ground worked. He is letting me use the farm gas while I'm on 32 hr weeks, so I'm helping him farm when I can. 32 hr weeks are bearable when you don't have to buy gas...

I received my Trivecta 318 today... :goodjob:

Mine dry fit good. The CR will need some sanding to fit flush with the body tubes and of course the fins need rounded. The fin tabs for tight enough inbetween the motor mount tubes that alignment will be a breeze. There is very little work to get this kit together, but it will take care to make sure everything is in perfect alignment.

Mine dry fit good. The CR will need some sanding to fit flush with the body tubes and of course the fins need rounded. The fin tabs for tight enough inbetween the motor mount tubes that alignment will be a breeze. There is very little work to get this kit together, but it will take care to make sure everything is in perfect alignment.
Badass rocketry has a build video for the 329 that I found to be interesting.. https://www.badassrocketry.com/badassvideos?pgid=k8hglni52-cd3b0ca0-4193-45f3-ac2d-7310c79104c8

Received an Interceptor E purchased from heada. I am *very* excited, thank you so much! Now I have all three Interceptors; the original, the E, and the G. Hmm... perhaps it's time for a scratchbuilt Interceptor J....... only question is, should I model it after the original (pods on wing tips) or the G (no pods, but two boosters attached to the main body tube)?

Best -- Terry

Received an Interceptor E purchased from heada. I am *very* excited, thank you so much! Now I have all three Interceptors; the original, the E, and the G. Hmm... perhaps it's time for a scratchbuilt Interceptor J....... only question is, should I model it after the original (pods on wing tips) or the G (no pods, but two boosters attached to the main body tube)?
Original!!!!

Duck Dodgers is for sure one of the all-time classics. I must go and watch it now.
Back in the 80s, I went to see Yes in concert shortly after their 90125 album came out (the one with Owner of a Lonely Heart on it). My buddies and I had managed to snag front-row, stage-right seats to see them in Atlanta. Berlin was supposed to open for them, but I understand that they asked for too much money in the middle of the tour and they were replaced: By Duck Dodgers in the 25 1/2 Century!

Back in the 80s, I went to see Yes in concert shortly after their 90125 album came out (the one with Owner of a Lonely Heart on it). My buddies and I had managed to snag front-row, stage-right seats to see them in Atlanta. Berlin was supposed to open for them, but I understand that they asked for too much money in the middle of the tour and they were replaced: By Duck Dodgers in the 25 1/2 Century!
That jogs some memories! I was at that tour in Hartford CT.... I do recall that they played WB cartoons as the opener, but I can't remember which. Duck Dodgers might have been one. I think the Bugs Bunny bullfighting cartoon might have been another, but not sure.

Nothing quite like an arena full of people roaring laughing and cheering at an opening cartoon, way better than most opening acts. :) Although I would probably have enjoyed Berlin.

Good stuff. :)

Last edited:

Best -- Terry
You're welcome! And you should go original for the E but I'd go with the G type for a J size scratchbuilt version.

That jogs some memories! I was at that tour in Hartford CT.... I do recall that they played WB cartoons as the opener, but I can't remember which. Duck Dodgers might have been one. I think the Bugs Bunny bullfighting cartoon might have been another, but not sure.

Nothing quite like an arena full of people roaring laughing and cheering at an opening cartoon, way better than most opening acts. :) Although I would probably have enjoyed Berlin.

Good stuff. :)
My friends and I had a discussion/argument over what song they would lead with. I knew about the name they were going to be recording under before Chris Squire asked Jon Anderson to join: Cinema. It was Side 1/Track 1 on 90125, so I picked that. Wish they'd been willing to bet money. LOL!

I have done nothing rocketry wise today. Unless you count picking up the pieces of my Cosmodrome Vostok that decided to unpack itself last night. Note to self, don't hang something that heavy on a peg. I don't wanna put the time into building it atm, and its worth less so I can't sell it. A bummer way to start a Friday. 20200605_080200.jpg

I don't wanna put the time into building it atm, and its worth less so I can't sell it.

Even if it's not in the original bag, if all the parts are there you could probably get a good price for one. Apogee sold out in 15 minutes when they put a limited run up for sale in Jan. 2019. Price was around $300, IIRC.

Back