What did you do rocket wise today?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Talked to Tim at Wildman today.

When my package came in, there was some weirdness. We talked, we laughed, and there will be a second package going out in the Saturday mail.

The order was for a 54mm Aerotech motor hardware package with the case, standard front closure, and the "goofy ass aft closure with the small hole" as Tim called to it, a 54mm tapped plugged forward closure, and a 38mm tapped plugged forward closure. This stuff is for my Mile High adventure with the new LaserLOC (1.6 and 2.2).

I also marked up the Formula 54 for railbuttons, drilled a couple of holes in the aft centering ring for the purpose of threading a couple of drywall screws as a way of removing the c-ring during the fitting process.

I found my K&S BT-60 av-bay and my 54mm av-bay in a tool box where I had placed them a few years ago for safe-keeping. The 54 av bay is for a LOC October Skies commemorative kit I bought at the 2010 October Skies launch put on by Tripoli Central California. It's been customized to dual deploy. I want to put it up on an I-200 when I get the fin can glassed. Nice looking rocket.

The BT-60 av bay reminded me that you take two 5" BT-60 couplers and epoxy them into a length of length of BT-60 body tube (the switch band) observing the caliber rule. The av bay is a little longer than a one piece coupler but it still works.

The better method is to buy the Landru BT-60 Li-Ion sled which is only 3.5" long and fits into a 5" coupler. The sled arrives this weekend so one less thing to fret over.

If you're missing anything on that Vostok I can get you replacement parts. Wow! That's an old one. Original cover art and flat black shock cord.

Getting some rockets ready. PSC launches resume tomorrow!
Weather looks ideal for the first launch of The Funeral Rocket. Wildman Darkstar 3", CTI J210, around 3200ft.

Got my display engines painted and mounted on my saturn v.

Attachments

• 20200606_141313.jpg
    20200606_141313.jpg
    118 KB · Views: 23
  • 20200606_155445.jpg
    20200606_155445.jpg
    124.3 KB · Views: 27
  • 20200605_202058.jpg
    20200605_202058.jpg
    65.8 KB · Views: 26
Went out to retrieve my Big Betty from its over night stay in a tree..... Spent an hour to get it down from the tree and only damage caused by us shaking the branch putting a ding on the body tube... She is ready to fly again.... Land owner was really cool and understood the issue I was having.

These colors are not a good match to see in a tree 20 foot up in the air.

Big Betty.jpeg

:music1: :headspinning::headspinning::music1:

Awesome launch by Space X

I had to catch it on YouTube but was on the edge of my seat during the whole thing... Totally Awesome!!!

I was talking to one of my Managers at work who told me his son was offered a spot to interview for Space Force and turned it down as he is happy with his current assignment. Fist Palm.... to forehead!! What an opportunity to have to be a pioneer with a new program.

needs a clear coat after decals... hoping it will hide the square outline around the little aliens- the gold on gold alien lettering is subtle...

View attachment 417566
Hi Wally, I hope clear will work, but my guess is no. What are the little squares? Are they transfer paper that you can still remove? Sometimes I have used masking tape to lift them off. were they Stickershock? If so, Mark may be able to help. He is great to deal with. Might be worth asking before you try the clear. Good luck.

Talked to Tim at Wildman today.

When my package came in, there was some weirdness. We talked, we laughed, and there will be a second package going out in the Saturday mail.

The order was for a 54mm Aerotech motor hardware package with the case, standard front closure, and the "goofy ass aft closure with the small hole" as Tim called to it, a 54mm tapped plugged forward closure, and a 38mm tapped plugged forward closure. This stuff is for my Mile High adventure with the new LaserLOC (1.6 and 2.2).

I also marked up the Formula 54 for railbuttons, drilled a couple of holes in the aft centering ring for the purpose of threading a couple of drywall screws as a way of removing the c-ring during the fitting process.

I found my K&S BT-60 av-bay and my 54mm av-bay in a tool box where I had placed them a few years ago for safe-keeping. The 54 av bay is for a LOC October Skies commemorative kit I bought at the 2010 October Skies launch put on by Tripoli Central California. It's been customized to dual deploy. I want to put it up on an I-200 when I get the fin can glassed. Nice looking rocket.

The BT-60 av bay reminded me that you take two 5" BT-60 couplers and epoxy them into a length of length of BT-60 body tube (the switch band) observing the caliber rule. The av bay is a little longer than a one piece coupler but it still works.

The better method is to buy the Landru BT-60 Li-Ion sled which is only 3.5" long and fits into a 5" coupler. The sled arrives this weekend so one less thing to fret over.
Badass has a BT-60 av bay for pre-order, says it only fits their BT-60 tubes, but looks nice...

Hi Wally, I hope clear will work, but my guess is no. What are the little squares? Are they transfer paper that you can still remove? Sometimes I have used masking tape to lift them off. were they Stickershock? If so, Mark may be able to help. He is great to deal with. Might be worth asking before you try the clear. Good luck.
Too late, I sprayed clear, and did not get great results over the gold... :( These were the ones that came from Mach 1, unknown if they print their own or outsource. The squares remain, but I will remember the possibility of transfer paper and check that on the next one. The gold was maybe too thin on the fins, or maybe those were indeed transfer paper that reacted poorly with the clear, , so a little bit of the black shows- I haven't decided if I want to start over after getting fresh decals, or accept it and try harder on the next one ;), it still looks ok from a few feet away...
IMG_7494.JPG

I'm really having a hard time telling what's going on with those decals. Were they vinyl? When I look, I see:
1591492353262.png
To me, this *looks* like two-layer red/green cut vinyl, with a piece of square transfer paper on top of it. You can see that the square is not sitting down around the red and green parts.

I'd check with Mach 1 to confirm. Maybe it's not too late to remove the squares?

I'm 80% sure that those are cut vinyl from Mark at Stickershock23, and that is the transfer paper that should be removed after applying the vinyl. You can probably still pull it off.

I'm really having a hard time telling what's going on with those decals. Were they vinyl? When I look, I see:
View attachment 419653
To me, this *looks* like two-layer red/green cut vinyl, with a piece of square transfer paper on top of it. You can see that the square is not sitting down around the red and green parts.

I'd check with Mach 1 to confirm. Maybe it's not too late to remove the squares?
I agree, as soon as I read David's post I did a facepalm. The fact that the paint dissolved under them also was a clue. I may try to work on it a bit to see if it might be salvageable without a full sand and replace.

I should correct my previous statement, Mach 1 has a Mach 1 BT60 Badass multi-bay for pre-order...

I should correct my previous statement, Mach 1 has a Mach 1 BT60 Badass multi-bay for pre-order...
I have seen the av-bay in question.

IIRC, Ian Dalton has a photo of the new av bay either here on TRF or on his BadassRocketry.com website. It’s very slick. I like the idea of using kevlar instead of all-thread from a weight saving standpoint.

Wally, now that the paper is removed, let dry very, very well. Then wet sand over the lines where the paper edges were, not on the decal itself. Then spray clear again, it would be a good bet that now the lines will disappear under the clear coat.

If you're missing anything on that Vostok I can get you replacement parts. Wow! That's an old one. Original cover art and flat black shock cord.
Thanks so much for the offer! Everything was in perfect shape as it only fell about a foot onto a carpet remnant. Picked it up and boxed it up. Everything should be there that you put it the kit. I'm not going to fully unpack it and inventory 160+ pieces! It does look like you made an amazing kit.

Started qualifying my new 4.5" mandrel (4" PVC pipe). Lots of sanding to do, almost didn't get away with the first tube made on it.

Attachments

• IMG_20200607_163256.jpg
    IMG_20200607_163256.jpg
    285.8 KB · Views: 29
I got to fly some rockets on a beautiful day. Mixed results, some success some not so much.

Back