What did you do rocket wise today?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Aside from sanding/filling of various projects, this weekend I built up this BT60-sized Black Brant III.

WP_20160403_11_28_04_Rich_LI.jpg

At this scale, it's 34.5" tall, with a 24mm mount. It winds up being similar (in a lot of respects) to the OOP D-Region Tomahawk in terms of size and weight. Though for this, I used the Shapeways 3D-printed fin unit, as sort of an experiment. I'll be ordering decals from Stickershock this week. This makes the 9th rocket I've built over the winter that's waiting for warm weather to paint. Once that hits, I'll be painting for weeks...

Congratulations to AFischer on his successful L2 flight and 100% written test ! Done with Dual Deploy and a 5 grain Pink motor aplomb

Warner also popped off a iMax Flight that tickled 9k agl ...and landed 9 feet from the pad ! He was packing a eGGTimer Wifi switch and armed it with his phone. Igniter did not go on first countdown and he 'safed' the rocket from the LCO table before walking out ...

I had a heart stopping, dramatic Shredder flight. .. Warner was impressed with how straight it flew at 'terminal velocity' . Guess i should have turned ON my Quantums' fail safe .

Kenny

1459701837019.jpg

1459701944875.jpg

1459701995544.jpg

Started our first print on the 3d printer we've been waiting for, a drill guide for making av bay sharing between rockets easier. Much more to come ;-)

1459704397102.jpg

Too cold and windy to paint today so I started on my Estes Nike Smoke. CR's glued to MMT (aft one only tacked). Holes drilled for rail buttons and forward button epoxied in. Fins built and waiting for the MMT to dry so I can sand the CR notches as they are not wide enough to accept the fins.

Smoke 1.jpg

Too cold and windy to paint today so I started on my Estes Nike Smoke. CR's glued to MMT (aft one only tacked). Holes drilled for rail buttons and forward button epoxied in. Fins built and waiting for the MMT to dry so I can sand the CR notches as they are not wide enough to accept the fins.

View attachment 287070

That looks like a sweet kit!
I had never seen all the parts laid out like that before, but now I kinda' want one!

Hello Griffin, I see you're the Prefect down at QCRS. I sent a check down for membership this past week, to Steve. Just wanted to give you guys a heads-up. I would have called to introduce myself, but there was no number on the form...so I just sent the check.

TB

Sounds good. If you plan to make the April, launch come and say hi.

That looks like a sweet kit!
I had never seen all the parts laid out like that before, but now I kinda' want one!

Looks like it's going to be an easy build. I'd be almost done if I didn't have to wait for glue to dry. Think I'm going to beef up the nosecone with an eye bolt.

So far today, I rummaged through the 72 gallon trashcan in search of the I300T liner with seal disk still attached (d'oh!) from yesterday's LUNAR Sow Ranch launch.

Fortunately, we bag our trash and there were only two bags in it. The rocketry waste was lying loose and I was able to find the elusive seal disk.

So far today, I rummaged through the 72 gallon trashcan in search of the I300T liner with seal disk still attached (d'oh!) from yesterday's LUNAR Sow Ranch launch.

I've done that on my L2 flight! Only I threw my trash out in Farmington to avoid stinking up the car, and naturally never saw the disk again.

Ari.

Research, no building. It is too cold and windy to do any of the things I need to do, so I will just sit at the computer reading threads and doing random Google searches for missile related stuff.
I've collected a bunch of schematics and related data for scale models today!!! The elusive ones are still elusive, like the booster for the Aster-30, but I got a bunch of good ones.:)

Aside from sanding/filling of various projects, this weekend I built up this BT60-sized Black Brant III.

View attachment 287065

At this scale, it's 34.5" tall, with a 24mm mount. It winds up being similar (in a lot of respects) to the OOP D-Region Tomahawk in terms of size and weight. Though for this, I used the Shapeways 3D-printed fin unit, as sort of an experiment. I'll be ordering decals from Stickershock this week. This makes the 9th rocket I've built over the winter that's waiting for warm weather to paint. Once that hits, I'll be painting for weeks...

NICE! Don't see too many of those around.

Finally got some painting done while the weather cooperated. Black Brant II is finished, minus the vinyl decals. A few spots to touch up, as some paint bled under the tape. That bothers me. But otherwise I'm happy with the way it turned out. ImageUploadedByRocketry Forum1459726009.575699.jpgImageUploadedByRocketry Forum1459726021.779947.jpgImageUploadedByRocketry Forum1459726039.977962.jpg
Also pretty much done with painting the L2 project, the PAC-3. Once it's dry and decal is on, I'll assemble it as flight ready and post some pictures. ImageUploadedByRocketry Forum1459726116.319486.jpg

The elusive ones are still elusive, like the booster for the Aster-30, but I got a bunch of good ones.:)

What info do you need? I may have a few more pictures since I sent you the disk, but it's probably stuff I found on the MBDA site (or elsewhere on the web...).

What info do you need? I may have a few more pictures since I sent you the disk, but it's probably stuff I found on the MBDA site (or elsewhere on the web...).

The blueprints ofcourse, I owe you that much.
I think that within a year they will be had.
These things are doable, but it can be interesting.

Here's a really wacky idea - contact MBDA and see what they would provide. The worst they could do is say no (and call Homeland Security).

I am building an old MPC Vostok plastic model for flight. This model came out in late 1969 or 1970. I bought it 25 years ago. It has all the parts needed for flight conversion (paper tubes, engine hook, parachute, etc.)

I have a build thredd over on YORF under Projects (MPC Plastic Flying Model Build) if anyone is interested/curious.

I am also adding decals to a Semroc Mars Lander. Started it in 2010, and then it disappeared into a box and sat until recently. These things are fun, but the paper transitions are a real PITA!

Last edited:
Nice!! Love the paint job. Post video.... Or else!

Here's the maiden launch report...

Flight 1 - L1 Cert Attempt
Motor: Aerotech H242T
Apogee: 1325 ft
Perfectly straight flight, good drogue deploy at apogee. Main chute charge fired at 500 ft but the chute didn't fully open till about 200 ft (had me a little worried). There was a small drainage ditch full of water which my payload section and e-bay just happened to land (and end up almost completely submerged) in. Fortunately I was able to get things disassembled quickly and dried out in the sun in a few hours. Successful L1 cert!
[video]https://youtu.be/P5mWMEaqWPw[/video]

Flight 2
Motor: Aerotech I245G
Apogee: 2127 ft
This flight was much more exciting than the first, I am definitely a fan of the Mojave Green propellant! Perfectly straight boost through a moderate wind to 2127 ft, then things got interesting. I think the drogue charge was a little more energetic than what I observed in ground testing and it cut my shear pins on the main payload bay at apogee. I would estimate that I drifted about a mile (or slightly more) into a neighboring corn field. With some help from one of the club guys we had a good line and were able to easily locate the rocket. Unfortunately I was in a hurry to squeeze this in before the end of the day and didn't bother to get photos or videos of this flight. Wish I had :(

Sprayed yellow on the main portion of BTH70 Goblin upscale.

Tried to spray the nose cone but boogered it. Have some runs to sand out.

Last edited:
Tried cleaning the crud off the 38 mm seal disk first baby wipes which are magical but no dice. Broke out the Palmolive w OxyClean and again no dice. Got serous and tried some Slip2000 Crud Killer but still no joy. Hoppe Elite spray didn't do much either. The seal disk is now soaking in some CLP.

I'll check on it tomorrow. Hopefully the stains will be gone. It's a gold anodized disk and the stains do show.

Tried cleaning the crud off the 38 mm seal disk first baby wipes which are magical but no dice. Broke out the Palmolive w OxyClean and again no dice. Got serous and tried some Slip2000 Crud Killer but still no joy. Hoppe Elite spray didn't do much either. The seal disk is now soaking in some CLP.

I'll check on it tomorrow. Hopefully the stains will be gone. It's a gold anodized disk and the stains do show.

You might try Simple Green at about a 50/50 with water, its what I use to get the sap/resins and stuff off my table saw blades, I don't think it will react to the aluminum.

Received my digital caliper, Bristol Board, and some clay modelling stuffs.:)
I have a feeling I'm going to like the Bristol Board for making paper parts.
Caliper 2002-12-31 005.jpg

Weather was (finally) beautiful. Rolled some tubes, set up the glass table outside and melted/poured/cut 17 grains for use at AP Checkride. (I know. Sugar at an AP-named launch. Seems like I am missing some point, somewhere.) Should give me two shots at 1000 mph without busting our 14,000' waiver.

Recieved my first Fliskits today! They are down the build que a ways but I wanred to get some of the rockets I have been eyeing just incase those particular models go out of production. I am very excited, these are some of the coolest kits I have seen. I got the Decim8, Borealis, Uss Grissom, and Mystic. I am one happy camper!

Washed motor hardware, stashed the gear in the rocketry work bench, updated my flight logs on RocketReviews.com, and pondered my upcoming L2 flight hopefully in May at Dairy Aire. Praying for no rain during the week before hand.

Bought some Simple Green to clean the forward seal disk but it turned out that the Breakfree CLP soak over night did a pretty good job of disolving the the crud. I'd like to try an I 435T next time. Blue Thunder motors have a lot of get up and go.

Back