New threads and interesting conversations directly in your inbox. Sign up now and get a daily summary of the latest forum activities!
Discussion in 'The Watering Hole' started by BeerorKid, Jan 31, 2013.
Some thing funky is going on with the TRF database (the page count is off on several threads).
I installed the motor mounts and started attaching the fins to my Der Green Max:
While that was drying, I realized I hadn't put lugs on the Sprint XL. Needing a stable spot to prop it up, I went double-decker on the fin jig:
Admittedly, it helped that both rockets used the same fin thickness...
Did design revisions for my Snarly build, then, went over to my Mom's house to get more building supplies out of storage.
Basic frame shape for the MR-20. Now lots of tweaking. Two stage, direct staging, BT 55 frame.
Talking to myself. Sheesh. Update though. Estes usual excellent customer service is still great. They are sending me a replacement decal set.
This is only the second time I ever had to contact them. They handled it perfectly each time.
I've had great customer service from every rocketry vendor whenever I encountered an obstacle.
Nice design! Mind posting the .ork?
Motor order is in. Did I mention that I like Aerotech Economax?
Cut some lumber and picked up some decals for my second ongoing upscale build:
Untitled by Kris Flory, on Flickr
The .ork does'nt feature the scoop, and the build is still in progress, but the original design and revisions can be found in my build thread.
View attachment BT-55 24mm Snarly Revision 4.ork
It's obviously based on the Shrox designed Dynastar Snarky, and the build was inspired by Marwady's thread "Snarky Plans?".
Worked on my Estes Leviathan today, inserted retainer and attached CR's with JB-Weld
I like the Lunar/Planetary imager and 4S in the background. I'm a Meade guy myself, but have had Celestrons (C14) in the past...
Does hoping to watch the Spacex launch count? Disappointed..
Attached the final fin to my Madcow f/g 'Lil Goblin. Also laid down a fillet around the rear bulkplate...had to be careful as I'd already installed the Estes 29mm motor retainer...d'oh!
Tomorrow I will lay down the fin fillets, small ones as you can imagine.
Test fit the recovery train and realized the 1/2" tubular nylon takes up too much space so I'm going to use my trusty 550 paracord which will be fine for a Mid Power bird.
Made up the first draft version of a ork. file for the TLP Sparrow AIM-7. Trying to get some fin templates for forum member Rob702Martinez.
A line drawing with station numbers would be helpful right about now....
Man, that wingspan means lots of nose weight.
View attachment Sparrow AIM-7 Rev3.ork
Also a few hours of research.
My latest build has been a Classic Twofer. A 2.5X scaled-up Estes Astron Falcon , and an original sized Falcon.
The scale-up is for R/C, to fly on C6 engines. First rocket boost Saturday.
Build thread here:
- George Gassaway
Replenish my stock of JB Weld.
The shipment of Quest Gamma Rays for the basic class arrived today. Wish my Hi-Flier XL were with them.
Saved all of my ork. files from this computer to an external hard drive.
This computer is starting to die/glitch out again, and I'd hate to lose my files again.
I should have my regular, nice computer back by the middle of next week.
That one runs like a champ and never has a hiccup, save for the power supply fan having gone bad.
Seriously though, Dropbox is legit for this. I use it for all my ork and BeerSmith files so I can access them and share them from anywhere. It's the best and it is free.
Google Drive. 15GB of free cloud backup... Stored on your computer for when you're offline... I have a Dropbox too... Over 20gb of free cloud storage. Pics, files, everything...
Successfully mounted my scoop to my Snarly.:headbang::w:
My first time building a rocket with a "Scoop". I can tell it won't be my last!:wink:
Picked up the eye-bolts, eye-nuts, and all thread rod, and ordered the Carbon Fiber, End Grain Balsa sheet and vac bagging stuff for the fins on my Cherokee-D upscale. Everything is looking good at this point for a first flight in April.
I received our shipment of Balsasud brand end-grain balsa, two sheets of half inch by two feet by four feet.
You don't see that every day.
What is it for?
Yeah, it is really cool stuff! It will be the core material for the fins on our upscale Dragonfly. The fins are about 11" x 27", so I will have about six square feet left over to play with. At less than a fourth the weight of plywood it has some interesting possibilities...
I did a bit of the usual sanding and filling. And created a RockSim file for the new Estes Indicator:
I ordered some similar material from Fiberglass Supply in Burlington WA yesterday, only it was in 1/4" for my 5.5" Cherokee D upscales fins.
You just answered one of my questions from your build thread...
I got mine from a company called Corelite Composites. It is produced in Ecuador, where my wife and I met almost twenty years ago. It was a "Small World" moment talking with the representative about how much has changed since then...
Decided to finally build a little paint booth, been wanting to for 3 years. This is actually a large double wall cardboard create. This is kinda the prototype unless it works real well.
Also switching to ye glove tip
Method so thanks to Crazy Jim and his suggestions setup my quick deployment container
At work so I can't do any actual garage work. I can, however, play with a design for a future project. Estes Ninja BT-60 upscale (222%) for 24mm motors. Should be a fun one, and I already have the decals from Stickershock for it.
Separate names with a comma.