What did you do rocket wise today?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Finished up the nose cone Av-Bay on my 5.5" Cherokee-D upscale and started assembled the stiffy and couplers for the Av-Bay. Put a coat of CWF on the Big Daddy to get it ready for priming. Will post pictures for the CherokeeD upscale in its build thread tomorrow.

I finally bit the bullet and uploaded the boat tail file to Shapeways for building my Bowie tribute design "Blackstar". I have everything else that I need for the design, but the boat tail is unique since it has a pair of motor tubes protruding through the outer shell. The part was a little pricey for what it is, but I very curious to work with 3D printed parts. So, its worthwhile as an experiment to me. I should have the part in a week or so. 3D rendering from NX10:

BLACKSTAR TAIL.jpg

I'm not sure that I saw where there was a choice for print resolution. Material is the standard white plastic; wall thickness is .060", which might be overkill but I wanted to make sure that the long narrow sections had at least some stiffness to them. Once assembled, it'll be bonded to the motor tubes for support (and as a support to the tubes). I was more concerned with the it oil-canning on the larger surfaces. But we'll see - its a learning process. BlackStar rendering, by way of RockSim:
23709705883_333660e326_b.jpg

Estes and Aerotech got 500 dollars today in exchange for cardboard, plastic, AP and BP.

Fixed the Computer I'm working on now so that it will run Openrocket, then got the latest version of Openrocket.

The Java this and Adobe that needed to be reinstalled and updated and now it works.

Washed down the Level-2 (Apogee/madcow) rocket parts tonight. Taped the Torrent, getting ready for paint!!....finally. Snowed yesterday and 50 degrees today. crazy winter! I THINK I can finally knock this out this week!! yeah! Was supposed to launch the Level 1 cert in march and just learned family is coming in town that weekend. It's over an hour to the site, so :( big time!!

Played with epoxy...

Added a kevlar Y-harness to the Madcow FG 'lil Goblin (have a 5.5" Goblin already) motor tube and attached the fore and aft centering rings. Still needs to have some fillets before it's complete. Tomorrow's task as the Aeropoxy ES6209 takes a long time to cure.

I opened up a box from Ted containing a sweet recovery harness/blanket and a big ol' 16' Rocketman parachute. I accidentally left it at school, so the pictures I promised will have to wait until tomorrow, Teddy!

I also test-fitted the aft centering ring and thrust plate on our big Dragonfly, they fit just right! ;)

image.jpg[

ATTACH=CONFIG]282690[/ATTACH]

I finally got a chance to test fit the aft centering ring and thrust plate. It couldn't have fit much better. I also took a picture of one of the fin skins with a little something for size reference...

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    157.3 KB · Views: 70
Fed the obsession :bangbang:eek:rdered my first Nike Smoke kit, first of many planned!

Printed an 808 camera mount. I dunno, I'm not liking the design. It will add a lot of drag due to this weird lip on it. Think I'll run the file through CAD and do something about that overhang. Chomping at the bit to start the Ventris.

Ordered some AP, a backup Solar Warrior, and a PSII Nike Smoke. Finalized a Stickershock order for a couple upcoming projects.

Finished up the Estes Maxi V2. First flight will be on an E16 (cause, ya know, I had to upgrade the motor mount :) ). And yes, the old vacuform fins were a PITA !

View attachment 282712 View attachment 282713

Maximum clutter !

View attachment 282711

A nice article about the 1945 Rhine crossing and V2's that targeted the Ludendorff Bridge.

https://www.v2rocket.com/start/deployment/v2s-on-remagen.html

Very nice, Sam. The rocket that is. The clutter is giving me heart palpitations.

Re-built my TLP Indigo in OR, but then I could not figure our how to run the simulations.:mad::mad:

Keeps telling me that there was no ignition.:facepalm::confused:

I have not used OR for a couple months and I must be missing something simple.
God, I frickin' HATE computers and all their B.S.!!!!

View attachment 24mmTLP INDIGO FEB172016.ork

Repaired my CATO'd Adventurer 3 and have been getting through my ridiculous build pile over the last 3 weeks. 5 new rockets to fly so far!

P1060272 (Large).JPG

Printed an 808 camera mount. I dunno, I'm not liking the design. It will add a lot of drag due to this weird lip on it. Think I'll run the file through CAD and do something about that overhang. Chomping at the bit to start the Ventris.

Drag? Um. Read your avatar lately?

I worked on our electronics sled with three sixth grade girls. They cut the coupler pieces and cf sheet with a Dremel tool and sanded things smooth. It will hold two RRC3 units for redundant recovery and a G-Wiz for data.

image.jpg

Re-built my TLP Indigo in OR, but then I could not figure our how to run the simulations.:mad::mad:

Keeps telling me that there was no ignition.:facepalm::confused:

I have not used OR for a couple months and I must be missing something simple.
God, I frickin' HATE computers and all their B.S.!!!!

View attachment 282760

One problem is that you have two sections entered - a booster and a sustainer. Remove the booster section and see how it works.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back