What did you do rocket wise today?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ordered a Darkstar 3 Decal from StickerShock23 on Thursday night and it shipped the Next Day! Today I got bored waiting for my RocketPoxy to dry so I built a Darkstar using the Estes Patriot kit. So now I have one based on the Estes Hi-Flyer, and Estes Patriot, and a 3" Fiberglass beast!

Sewed up a 3 loop shock cord for the tube fin DD conversion project. Also sanded down the two coats of crappy Rusto 2X white (no filler) primer on the payload bay and laid down another coat. Have a fresh can of gray Rusto Filler Primer waiting in the wings so that after I sand the third coat of 2X white primer down to the paper I can start laying down REAL primer.

Did I mention that I really don't like Rusto 2X primer? Or for that matter 2X paints of any type?

Launched the spider web bowl rocket... bounced it off a SUV and destroyed it (the rocket, not the vehicle).

Decided to build a couple of full bore (24mm) Astron Alphas.:eyepop:
Both glassed, and one will fly on composites up to F44 Single Use.:y:

Yesterday went to a TORC703 launch at their field across the street from erockets! Great day flying (launched my Alien8 twice, US Tog once and my daughter's Deuces Wild once, with only one mishap, US Tog snapping a wing on landing). But got to tour erockets place of business! If this had been a candy store, Id have been on a sugar high just from going inside. Tons of great kits and supplies with a few more tons soon to arrive when Semroc is moved in. A little bit of a drive for me, but nothing any where near here even thinks about coming close!

IMG_0823a.jpg

IMG_0801a.jpg

IMG_0729a.jpg

IMG_0701a.jpg

Good news. I salvaged the fin can from my YouBee (see: The YouBee’s Last Flight).

I started out thinking that I might be able to save the fins and maybe the motor tube and Aeropack retainer. But, I found that I was able to peel off the body tube, exposing the fin can. With a little sanding and rotary tool use, I'll be able to clean up the fin can for re-use when I decide to rebuild the Upscale Break Away,

-- Roger

Made my first flight in about 40 years. Followed up by three more. I just used a couple of ready-made Estes': the Nitro and Sky Duster. Just wanted to have something to fly while I build some others (took advantage of the recent Estes sale and got several of their bundles). Very enjoyable, and successful, flights too! Beautiful SoCal day at Santa Fe Dam. Thanks to the SCRA guys running the show.

Nice score!

Thanks, but to be honest it doesn't scream "Broadsword", but "Big Girtha". I may change the nose cone to a long ellipsoid I have hanging around.
If the rocket resembles a Big Bertha or Super Big Bertha then call it that.

It's certainly a well built kit: Long motor mount, reinforcing the lower BT, thicker balsa fins, small pieces to reinforce the roots of the fins, and 4 centering rings.

Thanks, but to be honest it doesn't scream "Broadsword", but "Big Girtha". I may change the nose cone to a long ellipsoid I have hanging around.
If the rocket resembles a Big Bertha or Super Big Bertha then call it that.

It's certainly a well built kit: Long motor mount, reinforcing the lower BT, thicker balsa fins, small pieces to reinforce the roots of the fins, and 4 centering rings.
There's a built Broadsword hanging from the ceiling at my LHS and I've admired it for several years now. There's also an Interceptor G up there as well. A club member built them both.

Sanded the crappy Rusto 2X white primer again today, examined the scrubby finish, laid down a nice coat of light gray Rusto Filler Primer and now all is well.

Made up a few sandpaper pads using the new 3M 10X sandpaper (I LIKE it!) in 120, 150, 220, 320, and 400 grits. This stuff is VERY clog resistant.

Sorted my bags of hardware (nuts, bolts, screws, washers, t-nuts, etc) into Plano and Husky organizer boxes so that I'll be able to find what I need when I need it.

Built a Quest Astra for my daughter and most of a Newway Lune R4. The Lune R4 is ready for priming. My daughter is going to paint hers, which means its going to be pink. My son worked on his Astra with little assistance from me. The kit's just right for him.

Got started on my 24mm Alpha.

24mm Alpha 001.jpg

Talk about 3FNC!!!....and a Launch Lug.

And yes, the Launch Lug will get Glassed too, and blended into the Fuselage for a clean look. This will not be "Amateur Hour"..:wink:

Last edited:
I spent most of the weekend working on my truck, but today I found time to fill & fillet my Lepus & Binary Star projects, plus paper the balsa fins for the BT70-based Advanced Target Drone upscale I'm putting parts together for.

Started in on a Leviathan this weekend. Motor mount with Kevlar done. First fin is drying.

Helped my daughter paint her Astra, and helped my son align the fins on his. Built a painting/ storage stand for my Lune R 4 out of some cardboard and an old engine.

Finished sorting the hardware into Husky plastic organizer cases and was able to reclaim a major portion of the workbench.

Bought three different varieties of Rustoleum primer (Filler-Primer, 2-in-1 Primer, Primer Sealer) and later sorted through my vast collection of rattle can paints and primers. I'm afraid to count but estimate there are close to 100 cans in the bottom cabinet of the workbench. Hard to believe that I haven't a single can of gloss white paint.

I wanted to lay down another coat of gray Rusto Filler-Primer but the weather wasn't cooperating today.

Received my shipping notification from Missileworks and my third RRC2+ is on the way. Given the rescheduled LUNAR launch, I should have more than enough time to install and wire up the "brain".

Last edited:
Trimmed away the excess FG Cloth on the Tube I did yesterday, then sealed the Edges with Gorilla Brand Super Glue and my Nitrile Glove clad Finger.
Once that was done I sealed up the inner wall with Super Thin CA.
Time to go paper some fins! It may be -16 degrees outside, but thanks to small rockets I can still build something!!! I get bummed when I can't build.

FinishedGlassTube 005.jpg

Back